1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I think I need an iPad??

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by tfarny, Aug 30, 2020.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I am gradually realizing that a portable, simple tool for music work might be just what I need. And - gasp - that an Ipad would be the ideal platform. I'm a lifetime PC guy, but it seems like garageband and probably a few apps I don't even know about, and the tablet form factor, might be just the ticket. I'm imagining a dedicated device for music use, KISS principle. Honestly, half of the reason for doing this is that I want to spend less of my life tethered to a desk and PC, because I CAN do almost all of it with what I've got currently. But right now my musical life is spread amongst three computers and my phone - not convenient or organized, and I have learned that simplicity and conveneince are one way to get more and better practice in.

Uses:
    1. Practice - play along with tracks out of spotify, or slowed down / pitch modified tracks using garageband or another app. Use Truefire app, and BIAB-type app as study aids in addition to metronome etc. apps
    2. Songwrting - a portable and simple interface like garageband would probably simplify songwriting, and allow me to easily work on a song in different locations etc.
    3. More-professional recording - I have a PC with a good setup for this, but I still might find it handy to have a simple and portable setup for recording demo-type tracks. I'm not talking about anything fancy.

Couple of questions -
    1. How old and cheap of an ipad can I get that will still do all of this? And is some of it not do-able on certain flavors of ipad, like ipad air or ipad mini? Is there a good solid reason to buy the cheapest brand new one ($349, not a budget buster)?
    2. Can you think of any reasons NOT to do this, to go another route? Maybe there is a killer android App I'm missing out on.
    3. One thing that makes me super wary of giving Apple a dime is how they make everything that they can proprietary. Does Garageband etc. allow exporting to mp3? Just one example I can think of, but you know what I mean.
    4. Any apps I should be aware of?
    Thanks! Sorry for the mega post.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

You won’t be able to get the latest app updates with too old a model.

Multi-tracking will use a lot of memory, so probably you want 64gig minimum.

I use the Auria Pro app which is as good as anything DAW like on a PC. Can record all the tracks from our live desk. You can mix and master on the sofa after a gig. Its truly excellent.

GB exports m4a, AIFF and WAV. No issue sharing. Good songwriting tool. Midi and interface support is plug and play.

Android = not even close.

I also use Logic Remote and DAW control apps with my Mac and PC for remote transport and mixing. Neat to have on music stand in studio.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use an iPad Pro with the Auria Pro app and its great but I don't know how well it would do on a less powerful iPad.

4. Guitarteach

i have a 6th Gen iPad and Auria runs fine for me.

mikestearns likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

If you are going to use it to connect to internet, you better have a good high speed package with unlimited download, because an iPad eats bandwidth like no other.

6. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

You certainly don't have to buy a bleeding edge brand new iPad to do what you want. I got a 1st gen and 2nd gen Air and they work fine for YouTube and some misc apps. Do buy the latest you can find for your budget.
    I'm not an Apple fan, but for a tablet, iPads are your best bang for the buck.

7. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

I use the iPad for almost everything I do, including making music.

telestratosonic and Nahtabot like this.
  8. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Don't do it. Apple will shut you out at some point with an update or OS change. That happened to me. Sold an interface to get a "better" one. Update came, and then when I went to record a rehearsal: "your interface is not supported." Talk about a waste of money and time. I hate Apple because of the whole "batterygate" situation, so I'm biassed, but I have two good reasons to not support their products anymore.

Matt G likes this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm on my 3rd iPad and it's lightweight and portable to take anywhere. The app developers are always having
    sales on apps and some will give you free apps for being part of their beta testing team. I have a few from doing that.

Some cool ones to check out:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ampkit-guitar-amps-pedals/id364011231?ign-mpt=uo=4

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audiobus-mixer-for-music-apps/id1129130361?ign-mpt=uo=4

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bias-amp-2-for-ipad/id711314889?ign-mpt=uo=4

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/isem-synthesizer/id673921187?ign-mpt=uo=4

telestratosonic likes this.
  10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a first generation iPad and it works perfectly fine for browsing the internet and a few other things. Of course the latest updates and most apps will not run on it.
    I recently considered buying a brand new one, to put Garage Band on it. But I read many comments/reviews that said the iPad version was limited and glitchy. Plus, you're limited to the screen size and have no real keypad.
    I then considered getting a Macbook, but found out they cost around $1,500. no way.
    In the end I got an HP touchscreen laptop for around $650, and put a different DAW on it.
    I still use the old iPad for some things. Actually I was able to put my music cheat sheets on it and clip it to the mic stand, so it is a handy and discreet tool for rehearsals.

11. Guitarteach

Ipad is USB audio interface class compliant... what interface?

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

This was a few years ago. I had a Roland Duo Capture, but heard that the Scarlet 2i4 had a better preamp, so I sold the former to get the latter, losing $$ to make the swap. Didn't work. Maybe this was solved by a subsequent update but 2i4 had been around a long time so it was frustrating to have it stop working the day after my OS updated.

13. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Also with running Auria Pro, plug-ins are much cheaper for iPad than for Mac/pc. A plug-in that would be $100 for Mac/pc is often $10-30 for iPad.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Don’t listen to the negative comments about the iPad losing it’s functionality. it doesn’t. The iPad is a computer. It has a lifespan like any other computer. I have 5 year old iPads that still function well.
    The base model at $329 is a steal. Nothing comes close.
    It doesn’t eat bandwidth. The software is frequently updated.
    If I wasn’t already using Logic, I could easily do everything I need to do in my iPad.
    eMail, Web, spreadsheets, word processing, banking etc.
    Storage is not an issue because you can store GarageBand files to the cloud or a flash drive with the correct adapter.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    havlma1, tintag27, lousy13 and 2 others like this.
  15. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use a MacBook Air laptop for garageband.I have an older iPad as well and works fine with garageband. Yes, you can export to mp3.
    I use an older Steinberg Cl1 interface. I have a Mackie ProFX6v3 mixer with USB with doubles as an interface as well.

Garageband is user friendly. I'm able to share my recording efforts with friends, export as mp3 and send to my iTunes library. I have an iPhone 8s. I can record using garageband as well but don't because of the small screen size.

16. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m reading this with my new iPad. I’ve been using a MacBook Pro and Logic for about seven years so I want to learn how they can compliment each other. Following.

17. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

My advice is this.... an iPad is a DEVICE not a computer. You will never be disappointed in an iPad once you understand that you can only do what Apple wants you to do. And you can only do that for a few years until the product ages out. Planned obsolescence. An iPad might be just the thing for you, but I would advise against trying to save money to get "just enough" of a product to do what you want. The iPad pro is a great device, and there seems to be lots of processing headroom for most anything you can do with it. I , personally would find it extremely frustrating to try to simplify my music making process to fit into the confines of an iPad. Presonus Studio One is what I always recommend on PC or Mac.

Matt G, Mad Kiwi and black_doug like this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the comments like this. I want to make clear that I know what a tablet's limitations are, and I'm a savvy computer user in general. And for the "advanced recording" I do have a PC with Reaper and an I/O. I barely know what a plug-in is, and my eyes glaze over with boredom after about 2 minutes of people talking about it. I'm more about getting some chords and vocals down over a generic backbeat, maybe throwing lead parts on, and sending it to bandmates. Plus a variety of practice aids. Nothing more than that - a musician's tool, not a recording engineer's tool.

It does sound like a standard, 1 or 2 years old Ipad might be just fine for my needs at less than $200. I was wondering if I would get comments like "An Ipad Air 1st gen is too slow / not compatible with garageband" or suchlike about OS upgrades and so on, that would save me hassle buying on the used market. Although the basic model brand new is not that expensive, I probably want to add an I/O as well so I can use real mics.

19. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

I have an iPad Mini 4th gen. and it’s the cat’s meow. Highly recommended.

telestratosonic likes this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

If you get an iPad, also get an IKMultimedia iRig Stomp I/O.

It was designed for AmpliTube, but works with every guitar app with which I have tried it. It has a bunch of preset slots and an expression pedal.

And it’s built like a tank, unlike the cheaper iRig gear.

It will charge your iPad as you play. Otherwise, you’re stuck with battery charge due to the Lightning Port that iPad uses.

And contrary to Internet rumors, the camera adaptor trick does not work.

black_doug likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.