i think i may have stumbled on to a source of some real Mojo.......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, May 29, 2020.

1. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

I had been digging around the homestead looking for something to use as a stand for my PRRI. nothing too tall, something sturdy with at least 1 shelf for effects. I remembered this small table I got from my uncle's estate back in the 80s- it was a small piece and pretty rough work, but all solid wood- so it got loaded up and brought home back 40 years ago.
    my uncle was born in rural northeast Louisiana on Christmas day 1911- 6 weeks premature ( it was said that newborn he could be covered with a confederate dollar bill). but he made it and eventually followed his father-in-law (my mom's dad) into the telephone business back in the days of hand cranked phones. this let him be out and about over a fair section of country. and he was always looking for salvage-especially old lumber/building supplies. I have no doubt that the wood used was found out on some Claiborne Parish farm back in the early 20's and simply wound up as material for this table.
    now Here's where the Mojo comes in- when I turned the table over to clean it I found that the wood underneath the top was stamped "Tremont Lumber- Rochelle LA" and "Tremont Pine & Hardwood". so I did a search and discovered that this was a huge mill complex that sprang up in the forests of Louisiana at the turn of 19th century, complete with rail lines, and at one time even a hotel. by the early 40's they were gone- a victim of the employment surge in the late 30s. too many good paying jobs in shipyards, aircraft/machine shop production and the help just drifted away.
    attached is photo of the crew taken around the end of WWI-
    now you can't tell me that in this group of men, working in a hot, dusty mill there wasn't some Fine Bluesman, or Country picker. it just couldn't be.
    so maybe that lumber soaked up some of that Mojo which in turn got built into this little table , upon which my little Princeton rests.
    I think it's a pretty good story- and true to boot.

and I bet when I get to playing on it I just DSCF7023.JPG DSCF7021.JPG DSCF7063.JPG r-crew2.jpg r-mill-pan2.jpg might hear one of these very dudes from a hundred years ago moaning the blues

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’ll see your uncles six weeks and raise him my eight weeks (palm sized!) although if I was born in 1911 I probably wouldn’t have made it

That’s a cool story, I like things you can connect back through history like that

Could even be haunted by a disgruntled employee

“The mojo stand”

doctorunderhill likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it is "Tremont" Lumber Company and no doubt the hotel there then would have been a great place for a bluesman to make some extra money: IMG_4483.JPG

Fretting out and doctorunderhill like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The pine mill in the early days and then probably near it heyday in the late 1930s: I can imagine some of those scrap ends would have been perfect for that table. Yup, way lots of mojo. Might have to get an older amp.;) IMG_4484.JPG IMG_4485.JPG

Fretting out likes this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

that thar is some tonewood....

Fretting out likes this.
  6. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

In a couple of generations that table will be emanating blues radiations.

Gorgeous amp btw.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

That T&G top wood was most likely milled from lumber company pallets. Many companies that shipped goods on pallets were stamped with the company name so they'd find their way back home.

VERY cool!

Fretting out likes this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Very cool story & table

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

FenderGyrl likes this.
  10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Awesome story and table.

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You're not gonna saw it up and make a guitar from it?? :D

Cool table/stand!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.