I think I may be a goner.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
I like a Riviera.

Both Buick and Epiphone.

;)

eorrtnh_large.jpg

12694280-1973-buick-riviera-srcset-retina-md.jpg

Driving to the gig in that car with that guitar would be where it's at!

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
I've got mini-humbuckers on two guitars. Two on a Gretsch Jet Baritone. One on an Epi Les Paul that the prior owner, a big Neil Young fan, put on there, along with a Firebird pickup, ala Neil's Black Beauty.

On both guitars, the mini's sound GREAT.

So I've often wondered, why aren't they more popular?

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Yes, the quality of the Epiphone guitars has made leaps and bounds, particularly the "Inspired by Gibson" models.
Has Gibson actually made a good management decision? How could such a thing happen? Are they playing the repented monster just to draw the customer base back into the fold, only to spring some new horror once they've got us? Like - Robotuners on EVERY Epiphone to clear their inventory and settle that $50M Tronical lawsuit???

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
So, I am temporarily sane again after a trip to Guitar Center. I called the few mom 'n pops shops in the area and no one had a Riviera. And Guitar Center had but one. Not surprisingly, the sparkle burgundy finish was well done. It is a pretty guitar. Unfortunately, though, the setup was crap. The strings were too low, there was no relief in the neck, and fret ends were not what you'd like to see. The action buzzed from about the 4th fret up.

The tech on duty was quite willing to do a quick adjustment on the spot, getting rid of the buzzing while, unfortunately, setting the action a bit too high. At least he tried.

The mini buckers are impressive, I'll say that. The three switch positions definitely give you some tonal range. As others have said, the mini's have a clarity and sizzle that full buckers often lack.

I didn't have as much time to spend with the Riviera as I might have liked, but I am not desperate to get back to the store and grab this particular guitar. But I will go back for another look, I'm sure.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
While all the Epis I have bought in the last few years have been solid, good guitars, they all needed a full set up and some minor fretwork, including spot leveling. But after that, they ride great forever.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I too was off in a mini humbucker fog recently. Found a '90s Epi Riviera - Peerless made - with those pickups, but it was a pretty far drive. I kept thinking about how those minis might sound in a fully hollow guitar ...

Then a couple weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to find an Epi Sorrento "62 RI locally, with a Bigsby installed, new bone nut. Shot ... Score!!

I've owned and appreciated several Epiphones. This Sorrento RI might just be the best value in a not uber pricey guitar yet. Outstanding pickups, playability, sound. It's 12 years old, so that's no comment on what Epiphone is doing right today. But they sure did get this one right back in 2010.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
I too was off in a mini humbucker fog recently. Found a '90s Epi Riviera - Peerless made - with those pickups, but it was a pretty far drive. I kept thinking about how those minis might sound in a fully hollow guitar ...

Then a couple weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to find an Epi Sorrento "62 RI locally, with a Bigsby installed, new bone nut. Shot ... Score!!

I've owned and appreciated several Epiphones. This Sorrento RI might just be the best value in a not uber pricey guitar yet. Outstanding pickups, playability, sound. It's 12 years old, so that's no comment on what Epiphone is doing right today. But they sure did get this one right back in 2010.

The 62 RI Sorrento was a 2012 release for the 50th anniversary. I have one as well, and it does sound great, but it also came with Gibson Minis and better pots etc. Well made and priced below their value, I'd say.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I agree, with these tailpieces available, it seems to me that a guy that would install a Bigsby on this guitar would likely kick his dog! (maybe not)
So, went and found one at the local Guitar Center. No one else in the area had any. You know how powerful first impressions are - - well, this guitar was so poorly set up that it was an instant turn-off. The store tech tried to make it playable, but the damage was done. I went home disappointed. I'll probably reflect on what I did like and go back for another trial. It's a pretty guitar, for sure. And the mini buckers really do have a sound that appeals to me. I think that I just wasn't up for a level/crown/polish job at the time. But GAS is still talking to me.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
Titles like that can often be actual bad news. Good to see what it is. But yeah, you have had it. You seem way too deep into this guitar to get out easily now.

Mini Humbuckers are mighty attractive and that looks amazing too.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Is it just me or are Epiphones getting better?
I have had a sheraton and a 335 Dot Pro recently. Both played really great, especially the Sheraton, but both suffered from the typical junk chinese pots/switches along with mediocre at best pickups. The probuckers in the Sheraton were decent but a bit hot but the selector switch started acting up on a like-new used guitar. Would've kept the Sheraton but that huge headstock made it a neck diving monster and comfort for gigging is a must for me. The fix would've been a bigsby bar to offset the dive and new pickups and electronics.

So, 500-600 bucks extra for a guitar I paid five hundred bucks for or in the case of the 335, $400-500 bucks for a $400 guitar. And then if you still don't like it, no resale value for the next ten years. Bought an Edwards E-SA instead, Nicer guitar and an ebony board. Seymours and decent pots and switches from the factory. Critical on an F-hole guitar unless you are in total love and will do anything to keep an axe like paying through the nose for a tech to do the swap, unless you are into chinese water torture and can do it yourself.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I have had a sheraton and a 335 Dot Pro recently. Both played really great, especially the Sheraton, but both suffered from the typical junk chinese pots/switches along with mediocre at best pickups. The probuckers in the Sheraton were decent but a bit hot but the selector switch started acting up on a like-new used guitar. Would've kept the Sheraton but that huge headstock made it a neck diving monster and comfort for gigging is a must for me. The fix would've been a bigsby bar to offset the dive and new pickups and electronics.

So, 500-600 bucks extra for a guitar I paid five hundred bucks for or in the case of the 335, $400-500 bucks for a $400 guitar. And then if you still don't like it, no resale value for the next ten years. Bought an Edwards E-SA instead, Nicer guitar and an ebony board. Seymours and decent pots and switches from the factory. Critical on an F-hole guitar unless you are in total love and will do anything to keep an axe like paying through the nose for a tech to do the swap, unless you are into chinese water torture and can do it yourself.
Yeah I can't stand nosedive.