I think I found my next project

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KennyH, Jan 14, 2009.

1. KennyH

KennyH Tele-Meister

I came up with an idea after reading a thread where someone advised a newb just to buy a guitar and strip it and reasemble it and do a good set up.

I reckoned I could buy a cheap second hand strat copy, there are plenty around after all and use the neck and some other components to build a 3 pick up tele.

I could call it the budget caster (although the budget will end up going out the window)

So I had a look around and found this....

http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/84/32855484.html

My flipcaster will be for my wife, so I'm gona need a new amp anyway and if even if the neck needs re fretting and refinishing it's still a bargain.

What do you lot reckon?

I might actually try and keep it to a tight budget just for the sake of a thread showing what could be done on the cheep.

2. KennyH

KennyH Tele-Meister

I just got a mail back from the girl selling it. She's sold it already!

Well take the add down then, stupid!

Nevermind I think I'm going to stick with this plan, for my next build.

3. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

bummer! sounds like a plan though. I just found some CAD plans for a strat on this forum and quite fancy having a go at one. Although I've only held a strat twice and wonder how hard it would be to get it right without having more experience of the actual guitar.

Why not get some timber and go from scratch, i have the feeling you have the skills ;)

4. KennyH

KennyH Tele-Meister

I don't know about skills but I do plan to build one later this year from scratch for my father in law, he gave me the kit I'm building for Lynne and has a lot of wood work experiance, he has a couple of accoustic builds on the go at the moment.

This idea was just a way of having a go at an experimental body and would mean I'd get a fairly cheep guitar together quickly for myself so Lynne and I can practice together.

I think I'll stick with this plan as a second build and it'll give me a bit of practice before the big one, it's gona be something like Ed's cnc black guard but with a clear finish on the body.

This guitar building has become a new hobby. I'm even going to get a new shed for my woodworking tools.

Did someone say addictive?

5. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

That's it now, you're done for! You'll be skint and frustrated from now on. I've finished my 3rd and want to do more but have no cash, it's a killer!

6. KennyH

KennyH Tele-Meister

Haha, Tell me about it, we've just done our kitchen and half our family and friends seem to have birthdays over the next few weeks, hence the budgetcaster as a quick fix, to see me through the skint spell.

I'm lucky in as much as I go to a woodwork club with Lynne's dad now, so between that and his workshop I probably have most of the stuff I need. I also have a bench saw, router table and some other handy stuff lurking in my dad's garage I bought from a mate a few years ago and never used, so that's what will be going in the new shed.

I'm trying to convince my dad his bike shop needs a compressor for the workshop, painting by rattle tin is too expensive!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.