I think I fixed it… Marshall content.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a thread recently about getting my old Marshall back that I bought new in the early 90’s. I got it from a friend it ended up with after I stupidly sold it and it shuffled around the local scene a bit.

He told me straight up that he never played it, and it basically sat in his basement for six years collecting dust.

Well I used it on a couple gigs and it was great, then the last time I went to fire it up it didn’t work. It didn’t smell, or make weird noises, or crackle or pop, it just went super quiet. I had to get my ear right in the speaker, and I could tell sound was coming out really, really low. It didn’t even sound bad. It sounded like it’s supposed to. Just so quiet as to almost be inaudible.

I have other amps and don’t have repair money currently, so I stuck it down in MY basement until I can get to it.

I was sitting up by myself right now, wishing I had that amp for the record release this weekend, when I remembered some post on here from dog only knows when, talking about how the FX loop jacks get dirty on these old JCMs, and this is what happens.

I ran downstairs, grabbed my deoxit, sprayed the jacks, rammed a cable in and out of both of them about a dozen times each, and fired it up. I’ll be damned. I’ll test it better tomorrow when the kiddo ain’t sleeping, but I think that fixed it.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a two-channel Radial distortion pedal that has what is basically an effects loop for the “lead” channel, and I’ve had the same problem. A few quick in-and-outs with a cable clears it up, though one day I’ll just de-solder that jack since I don’t use it.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Sometimes is really is just something simple.

I recently did some extensive guitar wiring, which is not really my strength. Go it all back together and one of the pickups was cutting out. Unpacked it again and discovered that somehow the bare end of the hot lead had somehow come in contact with the bare ground wire. 10 second fix.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
In the studio we call it "exercising" the patch bay. If you are in a hurry you can patch between the normalized jacks that aren't switching to get continuity.

Bob

Last edited: