I think I figured out my EJ Strat issue

htloren

Tele-Meister
Hi all,

Just an observation. Been struggling with the EJ Stratocaster and I think I know why.

I find that my EJ Strat is on the dark side, I mean compared to my ‘52 Tele and American Strat. Am starting to think it is because of the speakers he uses.

I have an Eminence EJ1250, alnico. It is a great speaker but very bright sounding. I had it plugged in my Deluxe and Suhr Badger a while back and I noticed the treble shot up big time. The EJ Stratocaster is perfect with that speaker in that the darker sound of his pickups offset that bright speaker.

I now use an Eminence GA-SC64 in my Deluxe. A darker sounding speaker compared to the EJ1250. Love both the EJ1250 and SC64. The EJ1240 was bright sounding too but less bass which meant more bite. Nice.

So I think I learned something new! Bright guitars for darker sounding amps and darker sounding guitars for brighter amps.

Will be putting back my EJ1250 tomorrow to test my theory 😊

Loren

Last edited:

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
The Ej is a guitar that shouldn't be altered. A lot of thought went into that guitar.

kuch

Tele-Meister
The Ej is a guitar that shouldn't be altered. A lot of thought went into that guitar.
100% agree.
I love mine just the way it is
I usually play it through my 65PRRI or 70's Vibro Champ
20190530_064452_resized_1.jpg

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
Bill Lawrence worked from the thought:
a pickup is a part of a chain.
from head to speaker and everything between can change the sound.
you were have experienced the effect of this thougt