1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I think I broke our Singer's Acoustic Guitar...do I owe him one?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by 2HBStrat, Mar 4, 2020.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

So our singer plays acoustic guitar on maybe 4 songs in our 4 hour show. The other night after practice I was looking at his guitar and I noticed how bad the action was, and I offered to fix it, assuming that it was a truss rod problem. So I took it home and tried to tighten the truss rod, and discovered that the truss rod was fully tightened. So I got some spacers and glued them to the truss rod adjustment nut and put the nut back on the next day. Everything seemed fine. Then the nut lost grip and came loose. I took the nut out but the spacers didn't come out with it, so they must have stayed on the truss rod. Then I tried and tried to get the nut back on the truss rod, but I couldn't...I couldn't get it to thread onto the truss rod.

Finally I gave up and took the guitar to a local shop where I get my amps worked on. They have one guy who works on amps, and has worked on several of mine, and another guy who works on guitars, but, since I usually do my own work (on electrics) I had never had him do any work for me. I showed him the guitar, told him what I had done, and he sounded confident that he could fix it...but he couldn't. He said he couldn't get the nut to thread back onto the truss rod, either. He didn't say it but it seems to me that maybe I broke the truss rod.

Do I owe our singer a guitar?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sort of looks that way to me.

3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

IMO, yes.

4. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yes. Not scolding, should’ve stopped when you discovered the truss rod situation

younkint, Jim W, Jerry J and 5 others like this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Even if you don't owe him one, the stand up thing to do is at least offer to replace it. I hope it wasn't a prized Gretsch, Martin, or Taylor if he takes you up on it.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's probably salvageable by a competent tech. Chances are the nut is stripped, not the rod. And even if the rod is stripped, it will be the first few threads because you added spacers over good threads.

But to answer your question: you break it, you buy it.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If it were me, I’d offer to repair or replace the instrument.
    I actually had an analogous (big word for this ol’ hippie) occurrence.
    I (accidentally) dropped my camera on the face of a friends guitar, resulting in a nasty gouge.
    I offered to “make it right”, and he accepted my profuse apology.
    He did not have me replace or repair his guitar.
    As “guitar-centric” as I am, it’s a wonder I haven’t done more damage!

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Kind of agree that if you break it, you buy it. You haven't mentioned what the guitar is or isn't, but before you spend money, take a look at this StewMac video:

Does a truss rod rescue kit cost more than the guitar you're trying to fix? Maybe that's something to ponder.

9. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

communicate ..there always is good answer when people do to fix together...most times things can become better. There was a problem to begin with.You had no malicious intent. Sometimes it is best left alone tho...at work..if i sense in the call something is off..we don't do it..anytime i do..go out of the established norm...it usually does not turn out right

Jerry J likes this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

OP, you never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing. From your post, I think you know what the right thing is.

And BTW, every one of has broken something trying to fix it. Don’t beat yourself up about it.

11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I'd offer to repair or replace.

If you had done that to my guitar, I'd let you off the hook though. If I sent you away with a priceless guitar to F with the truss rod, that's on me.

Oh yeah, and also, I'm that guy who manages to break everything he touches.

FenderGuy53, KCJonez and Pualee like this.
  12. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Well, can you replace the guitar? Realistically, is it within your reach/budget? If not, don't offer to replace it.

If not, consider some other form of restitution. If I was the guitar owner, I would be angry if you damaged it and didn't offer to make it right. On the other hand, if a friend tries to make it right, I appreciate the offer, and will not hold him/her to it if it hurt his family (budget).

Stuff happens, stuff breaks. Friends are more important. Offering to make it right shows you value the friends more than stuff. I personally value friend enough to shrug it off, but that friend has to at least make the offer.

LunarSlingShot and OldDude2 like this.
  13. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

The first thing to know is if you stripped the nut or the trussrod (or worse, if the trussrod is broken)?

A stripped nut is a few dollars replacement.
    A stripped trussrod may be fixed by an experienced luthier with the kit shown by teletimetx, for some money, but no harm done to the guitar.
    If the trussrod is broken we are talking about major surgery to change it. Probably not worth it.

The other thing to do is to talk to the owner and offer to make it right for sure.

younkint, cnlbb and MilwMark like this.
  14. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Probably ought to replace it or pay to have it fixed.

What brand/model of guitar is it?

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

does his guitar playing detract from the overall performance? if so, consider it a mercy killing.

16. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

OK, I'm going to go against the grain here. Seems like you offered to help someone with a poor-quality instrument which had already been jacked up to the point of no return. I'm suspecting this is probably one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" problems. Can you tell some of the details about your singer's "guitar", i.e. make, model, age, etc? Even if I'm right, you may still owe your singer a replacement, but sounds like the cost of that replacement should be minimal. Next time, tell the owner what you're going to attempt, that it may end in disaster, and that you accept no responsibility for the outcome.

2HBStrat and jim777 like this.
  17. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Did you confirm that the neck had too much relief before tightening the truss rod? I know this doesn't fix your problem now, but I know too many people who see high action, and proceed to crank down on the truss rod to lower it. If the neck was straight to begin with, this will only lead to more problems such as back bow, stripped/broken truss rod, etc... Only tighten the truss rod in tiny (like 1/4 turn increments) until the neck has a tiny amount of relief. Then if you still need lower action, you take that from the saddle (if there's enough saddle sticking up out of the bridge).

Hope it works out.

Boreas, cnlbb, JuneauMike and 2 others like this.
  18. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Yes.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  19. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would say the first thing to know is that a truss rod is not there to adjust action . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.