1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I think I am done with Fender

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Oct 15, 2013.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...strings.

My guitar just had not been working well for me recently. OK, it is not a Tele - but an upscale Strat. Dead sounding, could not get "the sound" I used to, and I have just been fighting with the thing for some time now. To the point I just did not want to play. The last set of strings I've had were Fender Bullet 11's.

I've been playing Teles as stores recently. I thought maybe she found out and was jealous. New Teles tend to have 9's, and were much easier to play, so I decided to try a new set of strings.

Since I have been using 11's for some time now, I went out and got a set of 10's. I got SIT strings, made just down the road in Akron, Ohio (since Akron is east of me, is it down the road, or along the road, not up the road, oh never mind...)

I put the set of 10's on, pulled two springs out of the block, and set it up to just barely float above the body (I had it pulled down to the body). Tune, stretch, adjust the float, tune, adjust, and tune again.

Then I plugged in and WHOA! The sound was back.

Punchy. Bouncy lows. String definition. Crisp attacks. I had to turn the bass up, and turn the treble down. I don't have to fight the neck anymore. I have strings now - not titanium bars.

My wife yells "Are those the new strings? Wow that sounds good - you sound clear again!"

Yep. No more Fender strings. I realize the SIT sets are fairly bright, but come on. I have had 11's that are much easier to play - and I used to use big sets, since I like the third string to be wound to eliminate the breakup on that string.

Now I realize I need to re-setup my intonation, and probably readjust the pickup height, but I am looking forward to doing this, rather than dreading it.

So my guitar may now get Tele as a friend, rather than a replacement. I really like the smaller radius, the fixed bridge, that sound!, the simplicity, and a bunch of other things...

God I need a Tele now.

2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That's cool.

I've never used Fender strings, but I did use 11-48 Power Slinkys for 20+ years, until about a year ago, when I started having some joint pain in my hands. So I made the drastic drop down to 9s. And I set my trem up to float (I mostly play Strat). And the only person to notice a difference in sound is... me. Funny, no one else comments on it.

If I ever got back in a funk/spanky/R&B/soul band, I'd probably have to get back up to 11 gauge strings, just for the way they force the front end of an amp to compress. But for what I do now, there's no turning back... no turning back.

4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe G&L will start making strings-- they'd be far superior! :lol:

5. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

As always happens in threads like this, folks will chime in with their personal choices. I'll gladly start by offering that I've been using GHS Boomers for 34 years (really!) and they still please me greatly.

Tim

6. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

When I first got my first tele, years ago, i was buying fender strings. I didnt know any better. I found they would rust really fast. For some reason, I started using GHS boomers. Never tried another set of strings again. Thats about 12 years for me now.

7. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

I have used Ernie ball strings for about 15 years. Every so often, I get an itch to try some new ones and always return to the Ernie ball (slinky and extra slinky, depending on the guitar)

8. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

X 3 , GHS boomers here too

9. CajunPicker316

CajunPicker316 Tele-Holic

Ernie Ball Slinky, used D'addiro for years, got turned onto the Slinkies, and havn't looked back. They have this zing to them that I love, they lose the zing relatively quickly, so they're changed often, but I find them worth it.

Zing, my $2.00 tone word of the day!

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Same here, but for some reason I've been wanting a little less "zing" lately. Thinking of trying either their Nickel Rockers or Burnished Nickel Rockers on a couple of guitars.

I tried a few sets of Super Bullets about 30 years ago. I thought they sounded dead, too. Fender does many things well...strings ain't one of them.

Scott

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

How ironic. I hated the SIT strings and nothing seems to beat my Fender Dura tone strings for my acoustic. I use D'Addarios for all of my electrics now.

If we all liked the same strings, there would only be one choice.

Enjoy your new set-up!

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Maybe it was just time to change strings...

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys because my local store always has them on sale. I've tried Fender strings, but not for a while now. No issues with them, though.

I'm glad you like your new setup.

13. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

GHS boomers on the tele and the nickle ones on the SG. That's it for me.

14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The perfect set of strings would be DAddarios for the bottom 4 and Fender bullets on the b and high e. The Fenders go flat too soon on the bottom and the DAddarios don't have enough nickel to sustain well on the top two. Purely my opinion.

15. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I've used Fenders in the past (150s and SBs) and while they sounded good, didn't last... switched to D'Addarios about 30 years ago, never looked back.

BTW, I've tried Ernie Balls (felt like barbed wire to me) and GHS (good, but sometimes hard to find around here). SITs felt kinda stiff, and didn't Stay In Tune as promised...

Obsessed has it right... we're all gonna like different strings, let's be glad there's plenty of choices out there!!!

Franc Robert

16. Lazerface

Lazerface Tele-Holic

I've been using Ernie ball cobalt 11s on all my axes. Love em!

17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

After years of D'Addario .0095 I just tried Fender 150 Pure Nickel .009. Love the sound of the nickel strings. Curious to see how long they last.

18. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

You can change them?

19. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I'm kind of behind the times, I buy Dean Markley nickle steel when I can get em' or GHS Boomers 2nd choice. Just been using Markleys for ever, old habits are hard to break. Tried Exliers for a while, never thought I got any extra mileage out of them and thought they took forever to settle in. Blue Steel Markleys, like those too. Creature of habit but I'm always open to trying new stuff if it sounds interesting.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Wow! Have you ever tried that combo? I never thought of different manufacturers for different strings. It is an interesting concept.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.