I think hell froze over...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Because I said that's what would happen before I ever bought another Fender amp, but guess what I'm about to do?:lol:

Went down to my tech's shop yesterday to buy some strings, and check the progress of my old Marshall, which is in for a cap job, re-tube, tune-up, etc.

He had a red knob Twin amp in there, in pretty decent cosmetic shape. I always kinda liked these amps. you can get Fender style tones out of them, but they are also quite a bit more versatile than a more traditional Fender amp. I asked him about it, and he told me a guy brought it in on consignment. Said he brought in three, yes three of them. I said "where are the other two", he said they were in the back being gone through. They are getting full checkups, and anything fixed that needs it, before they go up for sale at $300 each.:eek:

I think for that price, and a fresh and clean bill of health from my amp doctor, I need to buy a red knob Twin.

He's gonna wait til they're all done, then hold the best one for me and give me a call. I know they are not collectable, and I know they are heavy, but I think for $300, I need a Twin in the collection...

2. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I think that is a great buy.

3. bunny 7

bunny 7 Tele-Holic

That's awesome, they usually go for close to 5 bills at the music go round down here.
    I'd prolly jump on that for 300 even if I don't need it.

4. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a win. Just out of personal curiosity, is there any particular reason that you have veered away from Fender amps? Is there something in particular that you don't like, for the most part, about them, or is it that you have found other amps that suit your needs better?

5. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great deal! I always liked mine. To heavy for me to haul anymore...........

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

$300 each?! That's NUTS! You can't even get a Chinese made Cube 80 for that price! I love my RK Twins... I've got two! :p

I understand that they can be difficult to work on, but I've had one of mine since 1989, and I've never had any trouble with it.

They sound good to me. They also sound good to Robben Ford and Steve Cropper, so if I'm going deaf, at least I'm in good company. :p

Honestly, I haven't used mine in a couple of years. I used to drag 'em around town with me, but my back doesn't let me do that any more... Still can't bring myself to sell 'em, because they sound so good.

7. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

If they are good enough for Steve Cropper.......

8. Jakedog

Fenders in general are too scooped. I just don't like the tone. They have zero nuts. People have described them as having "warm" cleans, and that always makes me laugh. You need mids to have warmth, and BF and SF amps for the most part just don't have any. These red knob Twins as I remember, have quite a but more versatility to them. I do like the Fender reverb. I don't think anybody's ever done it quite as well. It can be too much at times, but dang it, it just plain old GREAT sounding reverb. Too bad they couldn't engineer an EQ curve that works.

I've been on a big brit kick for many years now. I love my Marshall and Vox amps. For $300 though, I think having a Twin in the family is a good call.

9. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

I never thought Fenders sounded scooped. Flattish in the Mids perhaps.
    Anyway.....
    I went through my RK Twin with a fine tooth comb, including all new glass and speakers. I sold it 3 years ago for 700 dollars. A Jazz guy bought it. He had played with Bruce Forman, and studied with Vic Juris. He was/is a damn good player. Not the typical amp you think a gigging, jazz dude would own. But the tone was excellent.
    But, jthere are ust too many other amps that do the same thing, and are lighter, easier to maintain and work on, use WAY less tubes, and have a resale value that will at least keep up with the cost of living.
    best

10. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

So you use an eq add some mids and problem solved.

11. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Maybe buy a Fender Reverb Unit for your Marshall?

12. Jakedog

Maybe it's all relative. I guess if you liked Fender tones, and were used to them, they might not sound scooped. If you're used to classic Marshall and early Boogies tones, Fenders are REALLY scooped by comparison. heck, compared to my Marshall, my Vox sounds scooped. I like a lot of mid presence. It helps you stand out in a mix and cut through without being loud at all. Most Fenders just don't have it.

13. Jakedog

This seems counter-intuitive. I should buy a Fender amp, and an EQ unit, to try sound like the Marshall amp I already own? Ok...

I'm buying the Twin just to have one in the collection. What I'll most likely do, is just leave it at the studio. If I ever decide I need that sound, it'll be there. For the price it's going for, I think it's more than worth it just to have it around.

14. Jakedog

Don't really use reverb on the Marshall. Seems... wrong somehow. Part of the whole Marshall tone thing is the no reverb bit. But, I do like reverb. It certianly has it's place, and if I need it, the Twin should have plenty on tap.:cool:

15. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Not saying anything about making it sound like a marshal but a EQ is good for tweaking the tone of any amp.

16. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

At 300.00 you can't go wrong. Now you can stack the Twin AND the Marshall, and maybe, just maybe, you'll have enough volume. <G>

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Not all Fenders sound like a BF/SF FEnder amp. Marshall built his first amps based on the 5F6A...and it does not have scooped mids. Without the large FEnder tweeds, Marshall would have been groping in the dark for the amp that was needed to do what those English players wanted to do....because they all wanted what they had already experienced.....a 5F6A Bassman. FWIW, before I would spend $300 on a RK TWin, I would a)have a ready buyer so I could make some profit so that b) I could go buy me a true handwired FEnder BF/SF amp and do the mods to it that bring those mids in.
    I have worked on the RK series....and I would muich prefer to own an older handwired FEnder. I have a '68 SFTR here that is going to get the 'tweedy' treatment for the NOrmal channel. ...and there is a DRRI sitting next to it that will get the saem thing done to it. I will much prefer working on the handwired tR compared tothe PCB DRRI. ONE makes up for that lack of pleasure by charging more for the time it takes to pull the PCB to do the work.

18. Jakedog

Right on as usual Wally. I know the tweeds weren't scooped so much at all. I actually like some of the Tweed amps quite a lot. I know the guy who owns Buddy Holly's old Tweed Tremolux, and that amp is absolutely amazing to play through.

FWIW, my guy is great with PCB amps, and SS amps as well as handwired amps, and doesn't charge me any extra to work on anything. He did a bunch of work on a Roland amp with a bunch of digi crap in it recently, turned it around in a day and a half, and charged me $40. Right now he's doing my '85 Marshall 30 watter. Caps, tubes, and some other stuff that needs attention. I oughta get out of that for $100 or less. The red knobber is getting gone through and freshened up before I buy it, so at $300 I think it's a steal. I'm one of the rare cats that actually digs these amps. I like the power break switch, I like the dirt channel, and I like some of the other features. A modded out BF or SF amp would be nice to have, but I can't really afford one right now, nor are they easy to find to begin with in these parts.

As always though, I truly appreciate your input. Always good to have you weigh in.

19. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The T-bridge on your Marshall is similar to the one on a Fender, you just need to swap some components about to sort the tone controls. Ask your amp tech?

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Jakedog, your tech is not going to pay the bills with your money, is he? (;^)

And, I agree, I would buy an operating RK Twin for $300. I wouldn't keep it long, but I would buy it. That is a wholesale price, imho.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.