I take back every snarky thing I said about The Eagles w-Vince Gill

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I saw the Eagles on the Columbus stop of their tour this week. My daughter wanted to see the show so I coughed up a stupid amount of money for some great seats and we went to Nationwide arena on Tuesday.

I expected to witness a competent but typical "big" show. The first part of the show after the intermission was largely that, a review of the hits.

There was much more than that on display.

Those men worked their asses off presenting the works of that band full force with the best of modern theatrical tech coordinated and presented with restraint and razor sharp focus. Watching Joe Walsh and Vince Gill play rhythm guitar and singling backing vocals extremely well for thirty percent of the show was very cool. No free lancing, just doing the parts to the best of their ability. Of course, their ability is as high as it gets.

The video which was a large presence was additive in my opinion. It usually isn't. it's either over the top intrusive, Spinal Tap-ish or lame.

The sound was superior. The preshow music was presented stereo. The group delay between live string orchestra and the arrays at our seats was perfectly calculated. The mix was great with the usual three song mulligan for the FOH mixer reduced to the first part of the first song. Although of course, processed to an inch of it's life, it didn't present that way. 94 to 98 db of great sound.

Four guitar techs made all of the instrument switches. Everybody's gear worked great.

Don Henley left it all on the field. He played a surprising amount of drum kit. His playing was vintage 70s rock guy competent. His ability to sing great lead vocals but not let the feel go out the window is and was always unusually good. He even sang all of the high parts of "Witchy Woman" which for a 74 year old guy is very impressive. His remarks were restrained and gracious. His delivery of "The Last Resort" brought some insight into the words with some level of stoner "who knows, whatever" that I missed on the record.

Joe Walsh was 100% Joe Walsh. A walking, talking, bubbling pot of idiot/genius/aggression/humility still with something to sing and play. (Does anyone know about that black Rickenbacker he played on "Rocky Mountain Way" what was going on with that and those pickups?- It sounded great).

Vince Gill was a soldier who did some great work on that stage. His voice was a little stressed but he didn't crumple or flag he was steller.

Stuart Smith should get some award for being the most precise but still soulful player ever. Really astounding performance.

Timothy B. Schmit looked kind of fragile but performed well and rocked fiercely. He had a stack of Fender four string jazz bases that must have seemed somehow different to him.

I was impressed with the total product and I didn't feel like a stooge for spending that much money for a three hour Arena Show.

Eagles Columbus 4-22.jpg

Attachments

• 20220419_205351_HDR.jpg
    20220419_205351_HDR.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 101

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I saw the Eagles on the Columbus stop of their tour this week. My daughter wanted to see the show so I coughed up a stupid amount of money for some great seats and we went to Nationwide arena on Tuesday.

I expected to witness a competent but typical "big" show. The first part of the show after the intermission was largely that, a review of the hits.

There was much more than that on display.

Those men worked their asses off presenting the works of that band full force with the best of modern theatrical tech coordinated and presented with restraint and razor sharp focus. Watching Joe Walsh and Vince Gill play rhythm guitar and singling backing vocals extremely well for thirty percent of the show was very cool. No free lancing, just doing the parts to the best of their ability. Of course, their ability is as high as it gets.

The video which was a large presence was additive in my opinion. It usually isn't. it's either over the top intrusive, Spinal Tap-ish or lame.

The sound was superior. The preshow music was presented stereo. The group delay between live string orchestra and the arrays at our seats was perfectly calculated. The mix was great with the usual three song mulligan for the FOH mixer reduced to the first part of the first song. Although of course, processed to an inch of it's life, it didn't present that way. 94 to 98 db of great sound.

Four guitar techs made all of the instrument switches. Everybody's gear worked great.

Don Henley left it all on the field. He played a surprising amount of drum kit. His playing was vintage 70s rock guy competent. His ability to sing great lead vocals but not let the feel go out the window is and was always unusually good. He even sang all of the high parts of "Witchy Woman" which for a 74 year old guy is very impressive. His remarks were restrained and gracious. His delivery of "The Last Resort" brought some insight into the words with some level of stoner "who knows, whatever" that I missed on the record.

Joe Walsh was 100% Joe Walsh. A walking, talking, bubbling pot of idiot/genius/aggression/humility still with something to sing and play. (Does anyone know about that black Rickenbacker he played on "Rocky Mountain Way" what was going on with that and those pickups?- It sounded great).

Vince Gill was a soldier who did some great work on that stage. His voice was a little stressed but he didn't crumple or flag he was steller.

Stuart Smith should get some award for being the most precise but still soulful player ever. Really astounding performance.

Timothy B. Schmit looked kind of fragile but performed well and rocked fiercely. He had a stack of Fender four string jazz bases that must have seemed somehow different to him.

I was impressed with the total product and I didn't feel like a stooge for spending that much money for a three hour Arena Show.

View attachment 976375
I believe the Rickenbacker he plays is a Glenn Fry signature model from the ‘90’s. I’ve never seen one in person, only in pictures.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
Outstanding review! None of the trade mags could have done a better review and most likely would not have provided the in-depth details that your review provided. Liking this band since the early 70's (and Vice since Pure Parie League) I'm very familiar with their sounds and mannerisms, both as a band and individuals, and your descriptive review of their stage presents hit the Nail-On-The-Head! Thank you!

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
You get hints of this on the Live at the Forum Bluray. The mix is a little dark and woofy, probably because Glenn wasn't there to ride herd and they didn't use Elliot Scheiner for the mix).

Bob

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Being sound technology afflicted I always run a spectrograph for a part of song (big show or small) during the 2nd half of the show. Whoever mixed FOH was an ass kicker.

Last edited:

Colin1230

TDPRI Member
My wife bought tickets for my birthday in 2010. They were crazy money but the professionalism of the whole show was absolutely incredible! I will never forget that show. Thanks for bringing back the memories @bigbean .

Lockback

Tele-Meister
Beautifully written review.
I live in the Columbus area and thought about treating me and my wife to our first big name concert but when I saw the price, my Pucker Factor prevented me from grabbing my wallet.
I'm a huge fan of the band and its individual members as musicians. Henley's voice is magic and an underrated drummer. Vince Gill is one of my 3 favorite musicians of all time and, as you so well said, Joe Walsh is ... well, Joe Walsh.
Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you shared it with us.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Good review. Sounds like you had a good time.

As much of a perfectionist as Henley is touted to be. I'll bet everything down to the caterer is stellar.

You say the FOH was great. I'd love to hear their monitor mix. Bet that's incredible.

telekaster1999

Tele-Afflicted
Sounds like a great time! Friend of mine, and an extremely talented song writer, is a personal friend of Vince Gills (has his cell number kinda friend) and told me Gills only disappointment playing with The Eagles is he doesn't get to play enough electric guitar.

Last edited:

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Glad you enjoyed it. Joe Walsh has always seemed to be a great guy, and doesn't look to phone it in on stage very often. The whole lot of them look to be not taking for granted that so many people still want to see them. That's a great thing, given how long they've been at it.

I live near Columbus, but Eagles tickets are way too rich for my blood.
In fact, a few days ago I was looking over tickets in the state for the next several months, and was blown away how much some acts (Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls specifically) are charging for tickets. We're talking Kiss/Eagles prices. It makes sense for Kiss, The Eagles, 21Pilots, and MCR to charge around $100 for general admission(or top level arena off to the side...), but when AJR, Mudhoney, Elvis Costello, and Danzig cost less than half that, it doesn't make much sense to me.
For what it's worth, the only acts I want to see this year don't come any closer than Cleveland/Lakewood, so I'm not the target GooGoo Dolls ticket buyer (as I deliberate $20 per ticket for Nekromantix vs $15 per ticket for Meteors knowing I'll spend $50 on gas to either...) But it baffles me that some random acts have snuck into the Kiss world tour pricing bracket.