I swore off SG's and now I have 2....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RevMike, Mar 25, 2017.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I've always loved SGs and I've had several over the years. I love the look, the sound, and the feel of them, but for some reason (I always attributed to my body shape) I have trouble keeping them in tune. So after I sold off my last one, I sort of swore them off, and decided my Les Paul would be the number 2 guitar to the Tele for me.

A few months back, I was in NY for an extended trip and ended up swapping a bass that needed a lot of work for an Epi SG Jr that played really nicely. I've really had fun with that little guy and have used it quite a bit.

Now...yesterday I was in Sam Ash. I had gotten a check for vacation pay from my last job and while I was not about to blow the whole thing, I figured I could afford to treat myself to a little something after all I've been through lately. I was sort of thinking of finding a cheap humbucker equipped beater guitar to gig with with my new band. I thought maybe a used Ibanez or something. Then this little guy caught my eye. And Epi G-310 SG in gloss ebony. Perfectly clean. Picked it up and it played surprisingly well. Frets were smooth. Pickups were really nice and the tuners had been upgraded. $97. Done. Walked out with it. I've been playing it all yesterday and this morning and I've come to the conclusion that this is a very giggable guitar. Whoever had it before me must have had the same idea and set it up nicely to be a player. Another really nice cheapo and I'm very pleased. Perhaps a rekindled love for SGs? IMG_2708.JPG

dotpc, JayFreddy, mikeyb and 11 others like this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks good RM! That's a solid price on that 310.

RevMike likes this.
  3. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Nice steal!

I have two SG's and I somehow always dream about buying a third...:D

RevMike and RyCo1983 like this.
  4. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I have no SG's and dream about having a first. :cry:

(Well strictly speaking, I do have an 'SG' - it's a Yamaha SG45, which is more like a Les Paul in look and tone).

Elliotman and RevMike like this.
  5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I just consigned an SG. A 2005 standard. The best by far of the SGs I've played. No neck dive, perfect balance, just right, beefy neck. With upgraded p/us, it was my open tuning/slide guitar for years. For other playing, I just can't love it, always find myself picking up a tele. It all comes down to personal taste. Not the fault of the guitar at all, just how I hear things.

RevMike likes this.
  6. RevMike

I hear you. For me especially on the set neck ones it was the neck. For some reason with all the neck exposed on the set neck ones, they seem to stretch across my stomach and go out of tune. I seem to have better luck with the more affordable bolt neck ones. I guess that's a good thing?

7. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Nice. I'm digging that Roland Jazz Chorus amp my man !!!! ;)

dotpc, dog fart, chemobrain and 3 others like this.
  8. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

I have an Epiphone SG. Plays great. I have it set up as my slide guitar.

RevMike likes this.
  9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

SG's will always be my favorite guitars, together with Teles. Very light, very thin and comfy, and of course, they have a great mid focused tone that remains very clear no matter how much distortion you have. For me, it's very difficult to get a bad sound from both guitars.

RoyBGood, RevMike and 8barlouie like this.
  10. RevMike

Thanks. I have had that amp for a long long time. It's pretty old, late 70s I'd guess. The guy I got it from had a bad back so he put caster inserts put on one side and a handle on the other so you can turn it on it's side and just roll it down the street and not have to carry it.

It's a real solid workhorse. It's seen a lot of action. I used to play both guitar and keys through it. It's very loud too. I recently had an amp tech go through it and clean it all up and check out top to bottom. Sounds as good now as ever. My favorite amp.

dotpc and FenderGyrl like this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

I love a nice SG, particularly the ones with the old style neck joint and the small pick guard. All that neck access just begging to be used.

RevMike likes this.
  12. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

They're very sought after !!!! ;) (Worth Mucho $$$$) :p
    They were the "Go To" amp in the 80's my friend. :cool:
    Andy Summers of The Police used them. As did a BUNCH of others to get that Clean Chorus Sound. I'm envious Rev !!!!! :)

dotpc and RevMike like this.
  13. RevMike

I used a JC through most of the 80s and 90s too. With just a Telecaster and a ProCo Rat.

dotpc likes this.
  14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a 61 reissue that I still regret getting rid of.

I'm afraid to pick up one of the epiphone sg's in the store because I know I'd have to take it home.

RevMike likes this.
  15. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Great Steal. I have two G-310 and love them. See
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-epiphone-sg.675567/#post-7233447
    They are great gigging guitars so when you find a used one, they are usually setup nice.

I like that special too. I have a Maestro SG with just the bridge pickup. I tell people that if they ever feel like getting rid of an SG, give it me or just put it aside, eventually you will come back around.

RevMike likes this.
  16. RevMike

I remember that thread. I commented that this SGs made me want to try them again.

callasabra likes this.
  17. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just left guitar center, and I was impressed with the set neck epi with the covered pickups I think it was only $329 new.

I was able to resist because I recently aquired a V and a Firebird.

They also had mini equipped gibson high up on the wall. I didn't ask them to take it down.

RevMike and callasabra like this.
  18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was in the same boat. The first G400 I traded for had a razor thin neck so away it went.

I've found 2 budget ones lately that are built more like LP's with great necks. An Austin AU776 & a "Wensen"?

I'd been jonesing for a Jr too, even found a bolt on Epi Jr/dogear on CL. Before I even got to finish setting that up this fell from the eBay heavens last Sunday.
    image.jpg
    A PGK made of black limba. I started a thread over in Finely Finished if you want to see more.

Loving the SGs now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  19. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

@bender66 I played an Austin SG with 3 HBs, and it was on par with several Gibsons I have played. It was a real nice guitar, and I could have bought it for $300. Alas, it was a righty.
    That PGK kit is nice as well. I am watching to see how you will finish it.

@RevMike They are my number one right now. I leave one at the church, the other at the house. That way when I play on Sundays, the guitar is familiar. I am taking both to a gig tonight though.
    Your G-310 is more like my second SG, the knobs are more of a square configuration and the switch is further forward, almost under the bridge. My first SG (G-310 as well) have the knobs in more of a diamond config and the controls are not so far forward. There are other noticeable differences. ASmith (member here) pointed out the differences before I noticed them.

RevMike and bender66 like this.
  20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've never seen an Epi SG Jr in red. That's cool. (They're both cool).

RevMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.