I suddenly don’t like my Tubescreamer anymore

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by marcflores, Aug 5, 2019.

1. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Yep, that's exactly the case as everyone has told me. It makes the perfect excuse to go to GC, pull a Tele off the wall, plug into a Vox and make a day of testing out pedals. Haha.

Mexitele Blues and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

This sounds like a job for a Rat.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I try not to pile in, but I wonder if you got a trebl booster, like an LPB-1, though there are others, if that might work?

4. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Take a look at the DOD Looking Glass, excels at low gain and I believe it was designed with a Vox in mind..

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

True. My Rat loves my AC15! The great thing about the Rat is that one pedal can cover a bluesy overdrive, harder distortion and on up into fuzz territory. It's amazing as a overdrive with the distortion knob down low. Any Vox owner really needs to try a one. I have the White Face Re-issue, but I have been told by some on this forum that the Turbo Rat is an even better match for the Vox.

PastorJay and Sean Mac like this.
  6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Yikes. I think the LPB-1 ads a lot of dark color for a “linear” boost. The EHX Screaming Bird is a treble booster.

dlew919 likes this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Boss SD1 or DS1 will give you a great alternative. And as others suggest, there are approx. 1,237,996 OD/DS variants, so you can try as many as you want. Honestly, with minor use of knobs, I can get just about anything from a TS or DS1. Steve Vai managed to get a lot out of the DS and he's got pretty good ears.

Bowpickins and CaineIsCarter like this.
  8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

It’s the only treble booster I own but I know there are some really good ones out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Well it does, but it has a 3 band active EQ so you can tame it if you want. The Forza is the model that has no mid hump to speak of, and still has a 3 band active EQ.

marcflores likes this.
  10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

It's probably been said already, but Tubescreamers and SD-1's are probably more useful with a Fender style amp. I also have the Timmy and Tumnus. I think either would work with a Vox but I would try the Timmy first. I'll also throw in the Way Huge Saucy box as another possibility.

marcflores likes this.
  11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Other than the Timmy, the Danelectro Cool Cat TO V1 is an excellent- and affordable- clone. I also find a Boss SD-1 works with middy amps because it doesn’t have the same eq hump to my ears.

marcflores likes this.
  12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Nobels ODR-1 or a Timmy.

Great pedals, not too expensive.

marcflores and RetroTeleRod like this.
  13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The LPB-1 is most definitely not a treble booster. It's a full-range thing, and indeed does have a dark and gnarly sound, especially WRT a Rangemaster or Screaming Bird.

14. 11 Gauge

IMO, it seems like a kludge, never mind any exorbitant cost. There are plenty of actual boosters that would probably work out much better, w/o any non-boost fluff in the circuit path (of which the KC has a lot!).

It might be helpful for users to remember that Bill F. had the KC designed to make his Twin Reverb sound overdriven at modest volumes. So the original application was for the BF/SF Fenders, so it stands to reason that there would be a similar unpleasant effect when using a KC with a Vox AC15/30/etc., just maybe not as bad, or probably just different to, how a TS would sound.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I would recommend using a pedal like the Way Huge Green Rhino. I have one and it has an adjustable bass, mids, and tone knob for the highs. I can get some decent tube screamer like tones and it is a subtle overdrive, like the tube screamer. I use mine through a twin and deluxe, but not sure how it would work with a VOX. I would think the adjustable mids control would help, though. my specific model is the: Way Huge Green Rhino MkIV.

marcflores likes this.
  16. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

My normal gain pedal is a Zendrive, but I found that I didn't really like it for sounds with more top end (funk, etc...). I added a Mooer Blues Crab (Marshall Bluesbreaker clone), and it does a nice, bright gain that isn't too 'middy'. You can find them pretty cheap, and, at least you'll know if a blesbreaker tone is where you want to go.

17. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

FD2 Mosfet is a great pedal. Currently using F/M setting in Mosfet mode

18. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I'd like to pile on in favor of a germanium Rangemaster or other treble booster. I like this one

http://ballseffects.com/boost/ballsmaster/

but there are definitely other good ones, I just don't own those. I can also second (fifth?) the RAT.

And if you're after lower-gain sounds, definitely try an OD250. Earthquaker makes the Grey Channel, DOD reissued it, but I have the Chicago Stompworks clone that I can absolutely vouch for.

19. 11 Gauge

It's already been said, but I'll say it again, maybe slightly differently.

The AC-series of amps are a different beast. Just go try out a bunch of different pedals with this specific amp.

Who gives a crap what the actual good pedals are - let the chips fall where they may.

JustABluesGuy and dlew919 like this.
  20. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Oh also, I know this is "The Stomp Box" but have you tried plugging your guitar straight into the Top Boost channel and turning the knobs until it sounds good?

PastorJay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.