I suddenly don’t like my Tubescreamer anymore

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by marcflores, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I've been going down this same path over the last year or so. Mostly was using a DR and now I'm using a Vox style amp more. As others have said, the mid hump vs. non-mid hump distinction is probably your answer.

Timmy is fantastic. It has the added benefit of being able to roll off extraneous bass to keep your OD tone solid in the low end. Very transparent. Reasonable cost. It's a great pedal.

The Bluesbreaker design has no mid hump. The Morning Glory is probably the most popular model of this type. It's bright, so make sure you like that. But with a Vox and tele it might be a good combo.

But if you want to try something that is more in the realm of the TS9, I recommend you try a Zendrive. It's the same circuit topology as a TS9, but stripped down to the bare essentials. It has the solid mids but doesn' t have the big mid hump of the TS9 because of the voice control. I love it.

I like the Hot Cake. But if you go that way make sure you're not the type of guy who relies on the tone control a lot or you may be disappointed. The HC doesn't have a great tone control. It's just part of the design. Great basic sound, though, and does a cool heavier OD with the gain up. Just not as tweakable as some of the others in terms of tone control.

marcflores and srvbluezz like this.
  2. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

This is by no means exhaustive, but it may give you some good ideas. They're not high on a TS into AC15 either:

I use a Wampler Tumnus (original, not deluxe) into the normal channel of my AC15, with the volume on the channel around 1:00 and the tone cut also around 1:00. On the pedal, I've got the gain at 9:00, the tone around 12:30, and the volume at 11:30. I also keep the tone knob on my guitar rolled back just a bit.

I love the tone I get with this set up, particularly in my band mix. It's punchy with grit and a clear high end.

srvbluezz likes this.
  3. Atiron

Atiron TDPRI Member

marcflores likes this.
  4. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Xotic AC Booster works for me and my DRRI. It has a treble and bass knob and a wide adjustment of gain. Pretty easy for me to dial it in and I'm no expert on pedals by any stretch of the imagination

5. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

Came in to give two similar suggestions. The BB Preamp and EHX Crayon. The separate Bass and Treble will be important to the OP that wants to craft the tone for the Vox amp.

This video made me a believer in the Crayon.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

AC15 is very finicky with gain/OD/distortion pedals. Some work, some sound like mud. Find one that doesn't sound like mud.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a Direct Drive and a Zen Drive with mine. I have a TS type pedal on that board, but I don't use it much with the Vox amp.

marcflores likes this.
  8. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

This, exactly this. Check out this video.

marcflores likes this.
  9. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Crowther Hotcake. I hated my TS clone through my AC15, and loved the Hotcake

marcflores and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Sounds like the Timmy is getting a lot of votes! May have to look into that.

Does anyone here have any experience with the TC MojoMojo? I’m also going to try out the Fulltone OCD and Full Drive 3.

11. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I built them - I mean, for "gentle overdrive" tones :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the tone with a single coil pickup guitar :

Soul Rhythm :

Rock'n'Roll :

-tbln

stevemc, W.L.Weller, Sean Mac and 3 others like this.
  12. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Yes, true : it's a good design, good sounding instrument (thas has been copied by several highly regarded boutique builders).

-tbln

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

The Seymour Duncan 805 is a great OD pedal and doesn’t have that mid hump.

mojosman likes this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

just my personal take on the tube screamer and the blues driver , they sound so generic that there is no personality to them, and whats been done with them has already been done a million times over , I have found and again my personal take on it , I love the BK Butler Tube driver or even the Chandler tube driver into a tube amp is a lot more creamy sounding , I dont however get that feel from a solid state amp with these units. I own a TS 9 and I maybe turned t on once and then put it with the rest of my pedals.

marcflores likes this.
  15. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Timmy or Hotcake

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have a OCD and it was never great with my AC15 except as a boost. The Fulldrive is Tube Screamer based, so I really doubt it's what you're looking for. By the way, I'm not trying to discourage your choices, just hoping that you might profit from my mistakes. ;)
    If you haven't read this article, it's really informative...https://reverb.com/news/five-overdrives-for-your-top-boost-vox

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    marcflores likes this.
  17. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

I used to have a Fulldrive. It didn't do it for me through my AC15.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

TS get Squishy as does Vox AC15, double sponginess imo.

19. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Oh good call. I just looked at reviews of the Full Drive 3 and it does have a mid hump, it's even more pronounced in some of the toggle settings than others.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  20. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

TS or TS-derivate works great in front of Fenders as a lead boost even after other overdrive/distortion pedals. If you have the headroom available you can a get a massive volume boost out of them and the bass roll-off suits lead playing. It also smooths things out a bit. I assume with a Vox you already have a strident midrange. Too much of the same thing I guess.

marcflores likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.