I spent one night in the Santa Fe jail.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Feb 23, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had hitchhiked there in '68...maybe it was '69, don't recall exactly. A long-haired, seudo-hippy, teenager. It was getting dark, and cold, and I didn't have anyplace I could go. I was sitting on a low cement or stone wall along a sidewalk wondering what I should do when a Santa Fe police car cruised by, and I shouted at him, he stopped. I told him my situation and asked if I could stay in the jail for one night just for some shelter. He said that I couldn't do that unless he charged me with something, and if he did that, I would have to go before a judge in the morning, and that there's a good chance he might just keep me in there for longer than I wanted to stay.

We decided on 'Vagrancy', and off to the crowbar hotel I went, had a good night's rest and some jailhouse breakfast, then off to court. The judge didn't want me in the pokey if I wanted to be there so he tossed me back into the street by noon.

I don't remember where I went after that, but I eventually wound back up in my little hometown in Southwestern Minnesota.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I spent 2 days in the Daytona County Jail during Spring Break for scaling the side of the hotel. The hotel held a poolside party just off the beach which I was enjoying. The bar was located right below the hotel balconies and when I went for a refill, a sting bikini fell from the 4th floor balcony onto the bar. I looked up and there was a very "impressive" brunette up there asking if I could return it? Being a little intoxicated and cheered on by the crowd, I draped it around my neck and started scaling the side of the building from balcony to balcony. When I reached the room. I got a kiss right before the police walked into the room and arrested me for "trespassing" and "public intoxication".

The Judge on Monday immediately threw out the charges. I was released, but it still ruined my vacation as I only had a couple days before I needed to drive back home.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Only spent one night in jail. The story isn't interesting enough to share and I was acquitted.
    The back stories behind the times I should've went to jail are far more interesting. When the statue of limitations runs out, I'll post um here first.

4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I admire your pluck pluck.
    (I've always wanted to use that expression, though to be honest, I don't actually know what "pluck" is...but find it fitting on a guitar forum)

I've a similar experience.
    I posted a little while ago about a positive experience at the Denny's in Bakersfield n 72...while I was hitchhiking around the country.

(The manager of that Denny's fed me and arranged for me to drive a weary traveler's car north while he slept in the back)

I got let out at a confluence of freeways and highways n Sacramento...during the morning rush. I mean right in the middle of a Y in the road. No place for anyone to pull over and no way for me to run across to the other side.

So I only stuck out my thumb at passing police cars. Finally one of them stopped and rescued me. And took me to the police station. He told me I was an idiot...that only a fool would stop there to pick me up.

I thanked him for stopping.

He gave me a ticket. $25 for hitchhiking.

Two years later I received a letter telling me that there was a warrant for my arrest for failing to appear. I sent a copy of my cancelled check and a bill for 5¢ copy fee and the 8¢ stamp.

They ignored me.

At the statutory 9% here in Oregon, that's up to $8.14...adjusted for inflation, we're talking about some serious money; a whopping $47 and change!

I think my people should give Gavin's people a call. maybe break a few legs.

John Backlund, stormsedge and Milspec like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Okay, not a jail story really, but these hitchhiking stories reminded me of one of my favorite stories I heard while working in the State Prison.

There was this long-time inmate that was very talkative and he came to the office one day to complain about the heat. It eventually lead to his story about him hitchhiking his way to Vegas. Being an idiot, he had no idea the desert would be so hot and said that he thought he was going to die until a Toyota pickup with a camper came along and pulled over. He ran to the passenger door relieved to have found a ride, but when he looked inside he was surprised to find the driver in full clown face and not wearing any pants. So, I told him he was wise in skipping that ride, but he replied that he got in....because it was really hot outside.

He rode with this half-naked clown to some storage unit outside of Vegas city limits where the driver said he had a change of clothes. When the clown returned, he had a suitcase and several large trashbags. The inmate said that the guy was still without pants and didn't say another word all the way into Vegas before dropping him off at a gas station.

Horror movies start out like that, but this inmate was just glad to have caught a ride. I still laugh at his scenario.

RedTele58, bender66, drlucky and 3 others like this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a model train engine as a kid that spent a lot of time in the sand pit....:rolleyes:

it had Santa Fe on the front/sides....:cool:

I knew Santa Fe was a place because I'd heard the cowboys talking about it on western movies... maybe even seen it used as a movie title name...

I went there many times in that sand pit... all aboard the train to Santa Fe... toot toot,,,:D

santa fe train.jpg

that's all I got...:)

7. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Wow! I also had a toy train with Santa Fe written on it. I no longer remember what it looked like and I certainly didn't know what Santa Fe was. Since then the memories I have of Santa Fe is buying camping gear in the local REI and scavenging around the town for medium format film during my work trip to LANL.

John Backlund and trev333 like this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There was this one time...at band camp...:rolleyes:

Actually---GREAT stories...keep 'me coming!

John Backlund likes this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back in the old days my friend Barry was telling a bunch of us drunks a story that somehow involved jail, and he asked me what I thought about some part of it.

"I dunno, Barry," I said. "I've never been to jail."

I can still see the incredulous look on his face. "YOU've never been to JAIL?" he said.

10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

But the hangman isn't hangin
    and they put you on the street.

Flaneur, bender66, Deeve and 4 others like this.
  11. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I use to make the claim I was so good at hitchhiking that I could hitchhike to a destination faster then I could drive.
    (But I think it was my sexy Hawain shirt that got the job done)

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yeah, a lot happened in the summer of '69. There is even a song about it.

stormsedge and John Backlund like this.
  13. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Last time I played Monopoly....

14. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

In 3rd or 4th grade we studied our county history, and went on a lot of field trips.

One was to the county prison. That was enough for me to realize that a country boy like me would never survive in confinement.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

About 1972; maybe 73 - stayed in Santa Fe, but didn’t pick the drunk tank motel. Found a small college, slept in the main room of a dormitory.
    I guess that was my first clue - a dormitory.

Milspec likes this.
  16. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I was living in Santa Fe late 60's early 70's and it was a fantastic place to be (if you weren't in jail). I'd live there again if I had a few more digits to the left of the decimal. But alas...

17. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Where I grew up a relationship with the police was not unusual, to say the least. I did once turn up for trial (age 16 or 17) and, through my blurry hungover vision, recognise the magistrate as the older woman I'd got drunk with the night before.

She didn't seem to have any idea who I was and threw the book at me.

18. hemingway

Yeah, the people I work with these days are like that. No brushes with the law, no knowledge of drugs, theft, or the less fortunate side of life. I am (these days) an educated, middle-class fellow who knows what fork to use. But my colleagues make me feel like Dillinger.

19. hemingway

I know it's a horrible cliche. But in my youth I used to hitchhike everywhere for the sake of the journey rather than the destination. It was an adventure. Freedom and all that. Ah, youth . . . and mental instability . . .

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My eldest brother spent a night in the Tijuana jail. I could never get him to tell me the story. I would guess 1962, he was a willful teenager...we lived within spitting distance (Chula Vista, CA), he could have walked there.

So far, I have avoided any time in the crossbar hotel. A combination of luck and perspicacity, I think.

We had the "Santa Fe Super Chief" set from Lionel, caught passing by in this video...it ran under our Xmas tree all thru the 60s.

stormsedge and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.