I spent 2 1/2 hours at the DMV today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Dec 6, 2017.

1. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, Willie, I was just about to joke that you had to know somebody to get into a DMV building in Illinois, but it surprisingly isn't too bad.

2. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

If the cars drive themselves, why would anyone need a driver's license? If the cars drive themselves, why would I pay for insurance? :rolleyes: This is all tongue in cheek good sirs, of course bureaucracy will never go away. Major wars have been fought to decide who gets to collect the grift.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is a chilling thought.

At what point will it be easier to steal some already licensed driver's identity, as opposed to getting State of California DMV to process your license application or renewal? Are we there already?

Let's be honest. California has traffic problems in most built up areas. The employees think they're doing God's Work by getting people to want to throw up their hands in dismay and move to Texas or drive on someone else's license. Or, drive much less, or not drive at all. What a perverse and idiotic way to solve problems of congestion.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I believe, if you brought the California rules over, wholesale, and dropped them on the vast aged population of South Florida, you could cut the number of licensed drivers in your area in half.

Hey. My late uncle relocated from New York to Florida, and not California, because he'd been advised he probably could not get driving privileges in California. And I know a number of people with Texas, North Carolina and Louisiana drivers licenses who live basically full time in California and they don't dare transfer their licenses to CA because they've been advised, because of their age, they will be singled out and basically forced to quit driving whether they like it, or not.

There was a shocking event about 20 years ago in the Los Angeles area where a very old driver in a Buick mowed down and mostly killed a large passel of innocent people in a long pedestrian promenade. It was terrible. So the Legislature was under immense pressure to identify and sanction every older driver they could. Makes good sense for those constantly driving on the 110 or trying to drive back and forth to Santa Cruz on CA 17, or using "The Grapevine" a lot. But there's a rancher in a pickup who drives to his fields of carrots and livestock, and he's not driving problematic roads. He should be left alone, but they've identified him and destroyed his way of life and in six months he will die in an assisted living center because he's lost the thing that kept him going - his identity.

MickM likes this.
  5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

It's a real sticky issue, but with so many elderly in SoFL, they VOTE, so their driving rights never get touched.

We have an incredible phenomenon here of elderly who claim their cars magically went into gear, the engine revved all by itself, and crashed into a storefront.

The thing is, we have so many other uneducated drivers, without insurance, people from other "lands," that subpar older drivers are only PART of the problem.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 Tele-Meister

I turn 73 this month. I'm guessing that is the reason, though, did not require a "driving" test.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Because you're guilty before proven innocent.

It's probably different in every state; in some the SSN is the license number, in others the SSN won't appear anywhere on there.

8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Small town, OHIO..Never more than 6 people there waiting..3 or 4 workers to keep things moving..

9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I first realized my dad had dementia when he drove five or six blocks to pick up a pizza (I heard the story some time after), then ended up 2 1/2 hours later stuck in somebody's field several miles away, and that was lucky because he was otherwise about to drive off a 30-ft. bluff. Soon after that, after a (non-driving) loss-of-consciousness episode, California suspended his license.

Dad was mad, but nobody else was.

When I go to the DMV I always take my book, so the wait doesn't bother me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.