I somehow just discovered Michael Schenker

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I knew the name and a little about him, but never really heard his playing until a couple of days ago. He might be the most interesting guitarist alive:

There's the video where I first discovered his playing:

Now here's a video about him burning down his own house!!

Then of course I started watching interviews of him in which he emphatically claims credit for pretty much everything in rock music. Personally, I find this kind of cool - I watched, ad nauseam, interviews of guitar players being "humble", praising every other guitar player, etc. It's refreshing to see somebody speak his mind, even if it comes across as cocky or whatever.

I don't know why took it so long for me to discover him, but I've already started working on implementing parts of this style into my own playing. I'm a little late to the party, but I'm here. The guy's like 80 or something and still tearing it up.

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
I like a lot of his stuff but hardly ever listen for some reason. Lonesome crow he did with the scorpions around 71 was really my first time hearing him. Some pretty wild stuff

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
It doesn't matter that you've only just discovered his playing. You have, and now you have a glowing back catalogue to explore.
If you implement anything of his playing, also ensure you factor in globs of melody. His playing is tuneful, melodic and memorable.

Welcome to the club.

Double Stop

Tele-Afflicted
Fact: "Armed and Ready" was the very first riff I ever learned on the electric guitar. I was probably 13-14 years old then. My guitar teacher showed it to me. After learning that riff, I was pretty much able to figure out the "formula" of riff rock on my own. Pretty much self-taught.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
and modest. I like him too, but man he is awful proud of all of the things "he invented".....
Yeah, watching his interviews and learning that he invented 80's rock, made the Flying V famous, saying that his brother stole what little talent he has from him.... certainly entertaining even if most of it is horseradish.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
He'a an amazing guitar player. So many people cite him as an influence he may just be right.
He's probably right about most of what he's claiming. I actually find it refreshing to hear a guitarist actually speak his mind about what he believes his accomplishments are as opposed to the (probably) false "aw... shucks..." thing we normally hear. It's almost as though we expect musicians to downplay their contributions to rock music, otherwise they're "arrogant".

stevehollx

TDPRI Member
I dont know Schenker’s catalog too well, but check out the album ‘Assault Attack.’ It is a big favorite of the guys in Opeth and has some good production and Graham Bonnett from Rainbow on vox.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
So, I've been aware of MS since I was a teenaged headbanger. I had this on cassette:
1660821553655.png

And while I always thought his playing was cool (my faves of his remind me of the best stuff from the Scorpions) I never understood or appreciated what made him such a seminal artist.

I know lots of guys talk about his vibrato technique

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
As a youngster, I was in total awe of the riffing in this. (I saw it on a broadcast from Rockpalast in the eighties, this is obviously much later)

During the early 80's, it wasn't uncommon for a band to play two consecutive nights at the same venue. MSG did just that. Michael stormed the first night, but on the second, he walked onstage, realised most of the first six rows were there the previous night, smiled, rocked back on his wah and coaxed sounds from the guitar that literally brought tears of joy. Eyes were moistened by the beauty of the music he brought forth before the rest of the band chimed in. Never before, and I don't think since, have I heard an electric guitar sound like that. The closest I could draw parallel to is a cello in the hands of of Maurice Gendron, Jacqueline Du Pre or Yo Yo Ma.
A sober and happy Michael is a force of nature.
Is he guilty of upping himself?, well, yes. Do we forgive him?, well, yes. Did he 'invent' as much as he claimed?, perhaps, perhaps not. It isn't in doubt that he has been a forerunner and influencer, and yes, his brother fades into insignificance in Michael's shadow.

ps. The drummer in that clip is Simon Philips. Simon played on the first MSG album. He's also the drummer on the 802 album. Simon is a bit good.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I like Rudolph’s songs more than Michael’s leads. But it’s all good.

Buell

Tele-Holic
I loved UFO back in the day. The whole band was uber talented. I dusted off some tracks not to long ago and while the playing was what I remembered, the songs kinda sucked. But, his playing was and still is, an influence in my style.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Oh man, are you in for a treat! He's got a deep catalogue full of great guitar playing.