I sold Toto's Dad's Car....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, May 27, 2021.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

A couple of years ago, it was clear that my mother in law could no longer drive safely. I was the one who the family chose to have the 'sit down' with her. She was not happy and she glared at me and I felt terrible for her... she'd always been hyper independent and hated help (well, except for some stuff.)

Anyway, she said, 'okay fine, but you have to buy my car from me.' She set the price of 5K for a 2007 Honda CRV. I paused, but said, 'okie dokie' and we paid her. The car mostly sat, I drove it sometimes to work, but, over the last year, I usually took my truck on the day or two I'd go in. So, it got dusty and the battery died.

I got it going a few weeks ago and had to replace the spool valve assembly, and it ran, but the battery was shot... well, today, I took the day off, went to the dump, put my new tires on my truck, then I took the CRV to the car wash, bought and installed a new battery and the old girl looked fantastic.

My wife said, 'Do you know that carmax will pay us 7K for that car?' 'No way' We took some pictures, I wrote a little ad, and we put it on Craigslist. I sold the car in 5 minutes. I had 18 people lined up who wanted to buy it, a few sight unseen.

An hour after the ad went up, two russian dudes show up, we go on a brief test drive, they say, 'any chance you'll come down a little?' and I showed him the email from the guy who offered 7500.00.

He shelled out the cash and away they went. That car is a 3K car all day long. I pulled the ad as soon as they drove away, I had 56 messages.

In a couple of months, the car business will be rolling and a bunch of people are gonna be stuck with a lot of money in some old cars... I wonder what the effect will be?

The used guitar market is gonna be flooded with low/mid tier guitars in a year, I'm sure of it.

I was glad to see the CRV go. I know the russians are gonna flip it and I'm glad of that too... boy, a couple of new snowmobiles would be pretty cool......

thunderbyrd, philpm, uriah1 and 27 others like this.
  2. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

This is a very strange timeline we're in.
    Ready for things to be normal again.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm amazed at what has happened to almost all markets for used anything. Stuff that was five dollars a year ago, is a fifty dollars now! I've had some kind of pickup truck most all of my life, but realized when I retired I wouldn't need one, and the house I have now I couldn't park a truck in the garage, but both the Honda and Impala fit nicely in there. The CRv has proven to be perfect for me, my golf clubs normally reside in the back, and when I go grocery shopping I can set them in the corner of the garage. I absolutely love my CRv. Glad you got top dollar for your MIL's car!

drlucky, getbent, swervinbob and 3 others like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not going to happen, this IS the new normal.

aging_rocker, Ronzo, getbent and 4 others like this.
  5. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wait a sec....

Toto's Dad is your mother in law......?!

6. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

I had a remarkably similar experience some years back. But I sold to Carmax - an amazingly quick, simple, clean transaction, in and out in an hour or so. I was dumbfounded. Why did you ignore you're wife and go through the grief of dealing with all the hairballs responding to Craigslist?

beanluc, Mad Kiwi and getbent like this.
  7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The RE market is crazy too, and it's killing me because i need to buy a house quickly for reasons to long winded to go into. But it's crazy out there and i have little hope of finding even a decent deal. Houses are going for way more then they should be and people are bidding against each other frantically trying to spend more than the house is worth. Agents are so busy they have little time for me and i have cash ! At least thats how it is here recently. I hope this turns around very soon but i don't think the end is in sight.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't b'lieve in normal anymore

Toto'sDad, getbent and CajunJ like this.
  9. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I am friends with a newlywed couple in their 30s who bought a house 9 months ago for $450k. I have no idea how they can afford that.

Crazier than that, they have some real estate company trying to get them to move out, offering them $700k!

Bit coin and real estate... I don't know which bubble is going to pop first.... But it's definitely a bubble.

Matt G, skunqesh, Bill B and 11 others like this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

see that airplane in my avatar.... I sold it last week. I offered it up it on CL for fair price for what it is (I'm a professional aircraft mechanic for 40+ years). next day, there was a guy in my driveway at 7:30 AM waiting for my lights to come on.... "I got cash.... soon as the bank opens". I got 63 offers that day.... 5 or 6 for more than I was asking. maybe a dozen with CASH.... NOW. we're talkin over 50k in 'merican money... cash (ain't sayin how much exactly... its almost an embarrassment really). gonna miss her but yeah, retirement confirmed.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Matt G, uriah1, Mad Kiwi and 9 others like this.
  11. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

^ This all the way.

12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I could explain it but I'd be violating at least 6 of the forum rules........

13. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think you could find a house for as little as 450k where I live....and they are often selling for 100k to 200k over asking price.

When this one bursts, and it has to, there's gonna be a big mess.....

JayFreddy, Drew617, getbent and 2 others like this.
  14. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

First, congratulations on making a little money.

Second, everything is insane. If it was not for a kind member here selling me my tele at a fair price I still don't think I'd have one. The model I was looking for is nowhere to be found and if one does pop up, it's way too much and it sells quick.

Third, I love sweet tea and pick it up from Bojangles and KFC all the time by the half gallon. Went to my local KFC the other day, where the price is always $2.66. She said $4.29....I said for a half a gallon of tea. They went up she replied. I replied with that's ok, said thank you and drove off. I thought she was wrong or lying. So I called another KFC to ask. She was right.

Bojangles also went up from $2.76 to $2.98 a half gallon. I can't take these tea prices.

Wait, what happend the last time tea prices got crazy.....any of y'all ready for a trip to the Boston Harbor?

15. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

We've always kept cars until they die, or are in not great shape. List them on CL, and within an hour, the Eastern European dudes are storming the Bastille, cash in hand. Never fails.

drlucky, getbent and ReverendRevolver like this.
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It won’t be a couple of months because the parts supply shortage is going to continue and it will take a while for the distribution channels to fill up with product after supply chain problems ease. Car dealers probably have less than 25% of their usual allocation.
    But you’re right, the bubble will burst on used cars and used guitars. It’s just a matter of timing. I laugh at the asking price of used guitars. It’s comical!
    The housing bubble will burst too which could really cause the feces to hit the spinning blade.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    getbent and scook like this.
  17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

@getbent that sounds like some recent experiences. I didn't know a used low mileage but needs a few fixes Camry and selling mountain bikes could make me so popular. On Sunday a guy who bid up via Facebook arrived but then wanted asking price. I just held my phone screen with at least 9 messages from others waiting.

For the other comments, I'm not sure how this can be called a new normal.

@Chick-N-Picker think what you want, but CFO's memo and a meeting going on in same room yesterday best explained your tea price and many others. We need to get a constant stream of wholesale food and beverages to our doors. The latest wrinkle is not enough trailers that can split a refrigerated and frozen load at once.

Friends in the biggest bike companies and suppliers along with some of our food suppliers point out some firms failing to pay enough for shipping containers. A lot of people are splurging on stuff right now in addition to other levels of demand rising.

Quite a few industries or sectors doing everything razor thin and poor planning are not really new normals. Being in or tied to food distribution and regularly meeting with others that's abundantly clear.

Some short-term or new habits also remain strong. A lot of businesses did a better job of quitting right away than opening up right away.

bender66, drlucky and getbent like this.
  18. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Looking at the news and world events my dad used to say to me~

"something is out of whack boy."

19. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I bought my 2009 F150 SuperCab used with 60K miles on it for an out the door price of 6500, about 4 years ago, which was a smokin' deal at the time. It was 8am and saw that the dealer had just posted it out there. I jumped up off the couch and my wife said, "what?" and I said "I gotta go right now!". So... hopped in the car and drove to the dealer. Didn't even have my coffee yet!!!

I got there and did the usual inpections etc, and took it for a test drive. When I got back to the dealers there were at least 10 dudes standing outside the building, waiting for me to get back with the truck!!! LOL!!! :eek::eek: I'd never seen that before... Salesman said "are you interested cause if not, all these other guys wanna check it out" I looked at him and said "sold"!:cool: To my surprise, I asked him if he would give it to me at an out the door price, and he did! Never hurts to ask I guess ;)

As I was filling out the paperwork and buying it, at least 10 more dudes showed up to see it! The salesman said "Wow... I guess we priced it a little too low." I said "Well, your price was the best out there by far, even on the private sale market". He laughed and said "That's ok cause we're still making money off it, so it's all good. We have a small lot and the truck was taking up too much room" LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, that was then. I wonder what it would be like today? Would there have been 100 guys waiting for me to return?

drlucky and getbent like this.
  20. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Why’s everyone buying up houses and used cars for twice their value? Did I miss a really big memo?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.