1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I sold my last tube amp. Who else loves solid state?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 2, 2021.

1. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

RR not on Bark At The Moon.

gitlvr and metalosophy like this.
  2. harleytech

harleytech TDPRI Member

NEVER ! I will always own Tube Amps!

Hari Seldon likes this.
  3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I love tubes AND I love solid state AND nu-tube AND...et al... I see no reason to discriminate against amps of any shape, size, color, or underlying technology. :D

Mojohand40 and Dr Improbable like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

DV Mark FGC121 combo.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

They color. So do tube amps. I often think it’s (a little bit) funny when people say they want a transparent pedal so they can really hear the sound of their guitar with no color, then plug it into an amp which totally colors their sound.

6. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

SS amps are like tube in that they aren’t all great, they aren’t all bad.

7. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

I do not own any tube amp for at least 4 - 5 years as I play with amp modelers (fractal, tech21, amplifire) live. I still do own AER Compact 60 that I kept for small acoustic gigs or used as monitor (when a modeler is plugged into fx loop return). However I just listed AER for sale as I did not have a "small gig" in years. I might get studio monitors for home use instead

pippoman likes this.
  8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

On this forum it's Teles and tubes that originally created the sounds we love.
    That doesn't mean good sounds can't be created with different guitars and amp platforms.
    They will sound differently, depending on the particulars, and it might or might not be what you want. Might be the best thing that someone else has ever heard.
    I have played with guys using modellers; enormous tone. Got to try one out with a super Strat alike. Very enlightening and enjoyable.
    I will always have a tube amp. I have too many, right now, but I ever get the herd thinned down I will have a SS amp of some kind.

pippoman likes this.
  9. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a DrZ Z-Lux that’s to die for. It’s light for a 40 watt tube amp (40 lbs), has great reverb and tube tremolo, and a master volume. Still, for gigging, my Quilter MicroPro Mach ll is so much more practical, under 20 lbs and so easy to set up at a gig and takes a very small footprint; just a great working man’s amp! I run all my time based effects through the effects loop and forego the 6 button foot switch controller because I use my stomp boxes. Sound man loves it, the tone is extremely good and my band mates can hear me in the mix. I don’t really “need” a valve amp, but I like it too much to sell it for the time being. I’ve been gigging with Quilters for 5 years and never had a single issue.

10. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

I got a Kemper about 5 years ago. After about 2 years I sold the 5 tube amps I owned and most of my pedals. I also have a Katana that I leave at practice. Although I like the Katana it doesn't compare to the Kemper but then again it was 1/10 the cost.

DeepDangler likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Don't fire me, please!

I'm on the Tele Forum,
    And using an Epi SG and a Fender Frontman on Friday's gig.

12. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Ever try a Marshall Lead 20?

elihu likes this.
  13. pippoman

You’re FIRED! Or FRIED? Same thing.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. pippoman

So true! I had a Peavey Special 112, 160 watts of clean, sterile amplification.it was okay sounding and heavy as could be, but so dependable I almost hated selling it. I went back to tube amps and only in the past 5 years got into Quilter SS amps. They’re not modeling amps, but I love them for what they are. I’ve owned some great tube amps over the past 50 years, but I’ve also owned a few duds, but ONLY a few.

teletail likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I don't care!

Got my first electric band gig of 2021 Friday!

( regular Virginia brewpub gig, nothing big, just glad it 'came back' )

16. pippoman

YES!!!

17. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Love my Bandit.

Jim McBride, pippoman and lmjmitchell like this.
  18. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

If I have a choice, I'd take a tube amp. All my SS amps are very low wattage, and they have worked well for me when I am recording.

19. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

I've got both tube and SS and not giving up any of them. But my first amp was solid state. I built it from a Heathkit kit in 1969 or so. I wish I still had it.

Telecastoff1 and Tim S like this.
  20. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've been loving my Blues Cube artist. I mostly play it clean.

I think it depends a lot on the music you make, and how you play. I'm a mostly acoustic player, and even though I'm not a jazz musician, there are a lot of jazz chords and voicings in my tunes. I like a nice clean sound with a lot of headroom and air, as I play my tele largely w my fingers. Having a clean, clear amp that can "reach in" and grab my sound and stay rhythmically articulate is a big part of my personal taste. For this reason, I've always tended to like SS amps. The added perks of lower weight and less maintenance don't hurt their case for me. Most of them I used in the past gave me that clarity, but fell a little flat in the "vibe" department. The BCA 212 I have now gives me the best of both worlds.

I played thru a JC120 for a while some years ago -- LOVED it when the chorus was engaged, but w/o it it just sounded boxy and sort of "meh". The hiss didn't help.

I also (believe or not) WON a PRS half stack from a Guitar Player Magazine giveaway in 1990-91. It was the much maligned solid-state "harmonic generator". People love to joke about that amp, but it sounds pretty great as a clean amp/pedal platform. The Celestion 412 cabinet doesn't hurt. But that thing is too big to take anywhere. I won it, though -- so I keep it as a good luck charm.

My biggest tube amp REGRET is, in the late 90's I got a hold of a 65 blackface Twin for 100 bucks!!! I had to get 300 bucks of work done on it. Had to sell it a few years later to literally keep the lights on. Wish I hadn't. But then...at 63lbs, that sucker wasn't going to any gig I was playing.

Again, it has so much to do with your personal taste, the kind of music you play, and how you play it. My lead guitarist has an old Reverberocket that looks like someone drove a car over it, and he sounds freaking fantastic.

One of my favorite guitarists is a jazz player -- Ed Bickert. He played a tele thru an orange Roland Cube and sounded incredible. That was all in his hands (and his ears). He used to have a great saying when it came to amps and settings: "Find what you DON'T like, and turn it ALL THE WAY DOWN."

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.