I sold my last tube amp. Who else loves solid state?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 2, 2021.

1. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Just picked up a slightly used and in MINT condition Yamaha THR10 II on Reverb as an Xmas present for my son. That raises our household solid state amp count to 4, tube count still 0. :cool:

t9goccj7dfpyvmarro1o.jpg

I am going to be picking up a Squier 70s Jazz Bass in Natural finish, for myself and I have promised to put it on permanent loan to him as long as he actually plays it. Otherwise, it comes back to me. I did not promise I wouldn't steal it from time to time :D

The THR has a mode for Bass, he should enjoy it!

R.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  2. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

I have thoroughly enjoyed the tube amps I’ve owned. Currently, a powerful analog solid state amp is enough for me to get the sounds I enjoy. Something that always comes up in these topics is that one always has to be better than the other which just isn’t the case.

Does my new SS amp sound like a cranked JCM800? No but I can get a great 80s metal sound out of it!

rstaaf likes this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What amp are you using? Thanks.

4. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Vox MVX150C. One of the high end nu-tube amps they make. The lead channel has some crazy gain and saturation and can really rip once pushed with a mild OD. I’ve used a Boss OD1X and a Boss SD1 (not at at the same time) to drive it and have been getting great rock and metal tones out of it.

The heavy Celestion speaker is a big part of that sound but the saturation, dynamics, and compression the amp provides really scratches the itch for me. The MVX series is part of a line of many unadvertised Vox products that sound good but nobody knows about them.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO TDPRI Member

Because most solid state is ass for anything but cleans. And a chinese tube amp is cheap and sounds much better.

6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

My 'zero tube' status has just changed - I found an old 12AU7 tube in the shed!

I can't remember why I have it, or when I got it, but I can duct-tape it to the Katana and see if it changes the tone...:twisted:

7. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I have a Princeton Reverb valve amp and roland Blues Cube Hot...the Roland comes close but I love my tube amp:) Its history, its tone and the fact its a valve amp! Simple.

Jbnaxx likes this.
  8. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

Oh yes and the Princeton sounds stunning at low volumes as well!

greenhornet and Jbnaxx like this.
  9. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I still have my Hughes & Kettner Tube combos as my main amps.
    But I bought a nice DV Mark Little Jazz - 60 Watt solid state, 1 channel, nice tone, takes pedals well, astonishingly loud and less than 9 kg. This will be my jam session amp.....

Tony474 likes this.
  10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

This reminds me that roughly a decade ago (maybe a little longer), Vox offered the AC30VR. I only found out about them after they were discontinued. I don't think that the vast majority of folks even know that they exist.

I seem to recall watching a YT vid of this particular amp, and really the only thing that was maybe faulted was that (IIRC) they put ceramic Celestions in it, instead of Alnico Blues.

I design and build a bit of my own gear, and I actually had a chance to look at the schematic for this particular Vox amp. IMO, I thought they did a fantastic job with the analog SS design of the VR. Yes, it has a preamp tube that's supposed to function in a similar manner to the Valvetronix stuff, but the VR's clean and OD preamp circuitry was 100% analog.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    DeepDangler likes this.
  11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

The nu-tube amps they make these days are improvements on those VR amps. The nu-tube is a low voltage flat vacuum mini display that reacts similarly to a tube. The advantage is they can change response characteristics easily and create good dynamics and response.

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Agreed on that. I have a MV50 Boutique, and I'm pretty happy with it.

DeepDangler likes this.
  13. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The Aviator Cub duly arrived last Thursday from the excellent Thomann company in Germany, and I’ve spent a bit of time with it at home. I’m now getting used to its controls and responses and I’m delighted to say that it’s seeming to show great promise as a lightweight but capable working amp for the future. I’ll be gigging it for the first time next weekend in a small venue, so let’s see how that goes. I’m very confident on the evidence so far.

kookaburra and jellodog like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Lucy lab guarding my priceless SS gig amp stack!
    20211018_183347.jpg

( keep them stacked here, in living room and grab one as needed)

kookaburra, havlma1, markal and 4 others like this.
  15. Tony474

What's obviously missing is a Lab Series amp... ;)

kookaburra, dougstrum and Chiogtr4x like this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

That's true, especially since they were SS too ( just keeping with the theme)
    maybe a 'Lab Pup?' - staying with the smaller size combos I like

17. Tony474

Indeed… I have an L3, the “baby” of the range, which sounds great, especially with a decent replacement speaker – details in an earlier post of mine a page or two back. But their “full-size” solid-state amps like the L5, L7, L9, etc., were used to great effect by such as B. B. King, Ray Flacke and others.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. Crawdady_54

Crawdady_54 TDPRI Member

Got tired of lugging the the Fender twin, sold that and bought a jcm900/800 quad box, as I had some big gigs to do, and too it was getting damn hard to shift around, so I bought a Marshall 8280 valvestate back in the early nineties, loved it still got it today , and recently a Marshall code 100, impressed, wish this was around in my early days, anyways valves v S state its what you like that matters, I like the both

19. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I have one tube amp, a Traynor YGM3 reissue, and just put a bid on a single channel Orange AD30R. So for me right now it is tubes, but I like solid state amps and would have no issue owning another in the future.

Crawdady_54 likes this.
  20. Crawdady_54

Crawdady_54 TDPRI Member

I have a Ibanez 15watt tube amp sitting by, amp modelling have improved in leaps and bounds, their the best of both worlds, valves are getting dearer and out of reach for some people

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.