1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I sold my last tube amp. Who else loves solid state?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Solid state yes, love 'em. Modeling and digital no. Just doesn't have the same tactile feel & infinite variations of changing the sound with your hands or fingers. No partial harmonics when you miss a finger position etc., which is part of the great accidental creative process of solid state and tube amps.
    Peavey Nashville.jpg Roland JC-77.jpg Pignose.jpg

DeepDangler and davidchagrin like this.
  2. chazeroo

chazeroo TDPRI Member

So, I read about half of this thread a week or so ago. I have posted once or twice elsewhere that I have a Music Man 110-RD from the early 1980s. It is both tube (clean) and solid state (limiter channel). I seriously was going to sell the thing about 15 years ago because the limiter side just didn't work with my Firebird. Then I got an Ibenez (sp?) multi-pedal in the late 80s that sounded really good with the clean side. Then for several years life got busy. When I returned to playing I had forgotten why I hadn't used the SS channel, but I tried again and it was totally useless--unruly. Also, the foot pedal wasn't working.

Fast forward to 2020: I got my Firebird refurbished; the old 1960s P90s had dried out, so the guitar wizard repotted the pickups (among other things) and it sounded great. By now I have a few pedals to work the clean channel when I want. But on a whim I tried the limiter (SS) channel a few weeks ago and WOW--the RD both work amazingly well (R-reverb; D-distortion). It wasn't the amp, it was the Firebird's microphonic issues with the pickups that was the problem. When I put pedals through it I can get some serious Neil Young distortion/controlled feedback. It's amazing. Also, the foot pedal is miraculously working again!

But I can also use the clean channel as I had been doing for great chiming sounds. Or modulate that channel as I see fit. I'm so happy I didn't sell it. It's a samurai amp with the dual swords.

(Edit: I got my MIM Telecaster about 8 years ago, but it didn't occur to me to try it on the cobwebbed SS channel until I had already done the Firebird experiment. Of course, it also sounds amazing and has a different character from the Firebird.)

davidchagrin, DeepDangler and Maguchi like this.
  3. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I'm sorry it took me so long to get these back to you. I use these primarily. The Pull Me Under tone is just too good.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Gary135r likes this.
  4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I play a 65 Kalamazoo Model 2 as my everyday practice amp. I still own about 20 tubes amps with zero solid state guitar amps. Some habits die hard. I will be selling some of them just to carve out some more space. I also don't see myself doing much playing with others in the near future. I used to record other bands, but stopped doing that a few years ago. It's a big reason why I had accumulated so many amps. I have owned many solid state amps over the years. I can play through them just fine, but prefer the dynamic touch of tube amps. I haven't done anything with amp modeling. If I was starting out today, I would probably go to amp modelers. I started out in the late 70's, so tubes are still my go to.

5. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Another Tech 21 Trademark 10 user here. It is my practice amp and gets turned on and off several times a day.
    I think the Trademarks were a little on the expensive side compared to similar products at the time. They were worth the extra cost.
    If I run across a TM30, I’ll have to give it a new home.

.......Tubes are great too. You use the right tool for the job.

6. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

It’s a shame they don’t make those anymore

BB likes this.
  7. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Keep this topic... you will be slave for your words...

The quest in SS is really hard, lonely less, and its full of intolerance. Good luck.

If its usefull for you, the amps that seems respectable to me are;

JC120
    Peavey Bandit

8. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Since gigging has changed, probably for good for me, my amp needs have changed. I build and LOVE Single ended Tube Amps with a few really nice pedals.

But when it comes to practice and creating, I like to just walk over and “turn it on”. I love the “immediacy” of it all. Going from “the urge” to “playing” in 30 seconds.

This has all happened in last couple of months. Stumbled upon a Cheap used Katana 50 And was amazed how great it sounded and how fun it was to play. Just bought a Micro Cube cuz it has a built in tuner. Got a notification this morning that Katana Minis are back in stock at Sweetwater So I pulled the trigger on that one also.

Not sure if our Band will ever play again. Tube Amp for sure if we do.

But my wife and I do a Retro Rock Classics thing (Markets, Boomer Birthday Parties, etc) where we run on a Battery/Inverter. I run my vocals, Beat Buddy and Electric guitar through a single PA speaker so I need a digital solution. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Tech 21 Oxford Amp Pedal for this. It sounds an feel better that the Helix Stomp I used for awhile.

davidchagrin and DeepDangler like this.
  9. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I turn the amp on, strap on guitar, tune it and thirty seconds later, I’m satisfying the urge on a tube amp.

10. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Man, tube snobs love to go around popping people’s balloons.

davidchagrin and northernguitar like this.
  11. northernguitar

Popping a balloon? For being truthful?

12. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

So, you weren’t trying to make a point?

13. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

Trying to think of the last time I got fired by a band.O yeah, it was because I was BETTER than the other guitar player/lead singer and he didn't like it. Haha! The recordings prove it. That's all right and that "band" didn't last long.

14. northernguitar

Just that my tube amps are warm and raring to go within 30 seconds.

markal likes this.
  15. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Thanks bud! No problem on the wait. I'll have to check them out.

metalosophy likes this.
  16. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That’s cool if that does it for you. For me, I want a touch of Reverb, a dash of Delay and a bit of Overdrive.

northernguitar likes this.
  17. northernguitar

Got that, too! :)

James Knox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.