1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I sold my last tube amp. Who else loves solid state?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

I haven't read all the posts in this thread (yet), but I think if SS amps kill the upper harmonics, that may be a good thing. I have read that tube amps emphasize the odd-numbered harmonics or overtones and that SS amps emphasize the even-numbered ones.

The set of even-numbered overtones includes a note that is inherently flat. It's a step less than three octaves above the fundamental tone. Trumpet players will recognize it as corresponding to that high Bb that can be played open but must be played with the first valve for it to be in tune.

So if solid-state amps can eliminate that particular overtone, that's as good thing.

2. TMGCUSTOM

TMGCUSTOM TDPRI Member

Been using this a lot lately. Great little amp. Tech 21 Trademark 30 Trademark 30.jpg

3. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

I just prefer the feel of ss amps. The immediacy of the attack. Tubes and SS can sounds exactly the same. The difference is feel for the player.

Edited to add:
    I've owned/played plenty of tube, ss, and hybrid amps. I'll likely never own another traditional tube amp.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Telecastoff1 likes this.
  4. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Now one SS amp I wish I never sold, the Peavey Wiggy halfstack. I bought it for about $400 around 2003, used it for years as a pedal platform, sold it because I thought it would go down in history as a joke and there seemed to be lots of them.

Now you can't find any! And it was a good SS amp!

Young me liked metal too much. I replaced it with a Powerball and recto 2x12.

5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Great minds think alike!
    I just bought a TM30 for a very reasonable price from an estate.
    I had a TM10 years ago and really like it.
    Sadly I sold it for a tube amp.
    I have no idea why Tech 21 stopped making the TM10 and TM30, but my guess it that they got stomped by Katanas and such with a full complement of effects for less $$.
    My full complement of effect is the real spring reverb in the TM30, a Timmy and a Tuna Melt tremolo.

Mark

markal, TMGCUSTOM and davidchagrin like this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, opinions often don't change even when the current technology is light years apart from a person's initial experiences. Often I see people posting that they tried a solid state something-or-other in 1988 (or even 1998) and weren't impressed, but they either are not aware or will not acknowledge that things are nothing at all like they used to be.

Many people fail to differentiate between a Peavey Bandit and a Roland Blues Cube. No tubes in either, so they must be the same thing, right? Or comparing a new Tonemaster to a $300 Mustang and wondering why the Fender costs so much more when neither of them have tubes.

I am far from a SS fanboy, I'm simply a gear head who likes things that work well for me and avoids things that do not. There are tube and non-tube amps that fall into both categories.

7. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

I love the Fender SS Amp line that started with the Princeton 112 Plus into Princeton 65 into Frontman 65 R.
    If all you want are Fender cleans with spring reverb, you are beyond good. Run it on the first channel with all the clean headroom in the world. They are plenty loud to get over a drummer on 2-5 on the volume depending on the drummer.

davidchagrin likes this.
  8. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

You could say the same about saxophonists, violinists, etc. I think it comes down to what you play. If you set a quality tube amp next to a SS amp of reasonably the same spec the analog wave pass through of the tube amp will win out over digital gizmology used to emulate an analog wave in the transistor box.

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I profiled my Mark V, and running through identical cabs it is extremely difficult to tell which is which. Sound, dynamics, everything is scary close.

davidchagrin likes this.
  10. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am forever tubular but the deal is I think is to find what you like and learn to make it work.

11. SerpentRuss

SerpentRuss TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Everyone knows that if you don't have your tube amp's dilithium crystals aligned on a regular basis you could cause a galaxy-sucking black hole when you turn up everything to 11. I prefer to play it safe and my amp tech enjoys my monthly contribution to his grandson's college fund.

DeepDangler and teletail like this.
  12. SerpentRuss

SerpentRuss TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I understand the trumpet overtone series reference (I'm a brass player), but I'm willing to bet that on the average tube amp the amplitude of that particular harmonic is low even when it's present. On a trumpet, when you attempt to play that note open, it's the starting fundamental of that pitch and so it's very present.

Many parameters impact how an amp creates its harmonic series and picking one harmonic as a reason to avoid tubes is pretty bizarre. It might also be noted that single-ended tube amps tend to emphasize the even harmonics.

Spooky88 likes this.
  13. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

I play both SS (Quilter, Fenders, Peavey's) and Tube amps (Fenders, Supro's). A good sounding amp is a good sounding amp whether it is tube or SS. The key is finding what works for your rig and the music you are making. I once had an older Roland Blues Cube that I wish I didn't sell. That sounded great with my rig and style.

14. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Just a reminder - the tone gourmets (like Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Bill Frisell and countless more) that use overdriven, dynamic/touch sensitive tones, they all use tube amps.
    For metal, jazz, cover, blues, country players it's not so important for a variety of reasons. BB King, for example, is not an example of a player with a good ear for tone. He was a heavenly player, but this tones were often simply horrible (you can stone me, but that's true for many blues players). Same for John McLaughlin.
    There are always counterexamples, but you'll never catch Larry Carlton with a Kemper or a Katana.

Spooky88 likes this.
  15. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I love Larry and his Bludotones, but I'm pretty sure I've heard him say in an interview he's happy to run his Zenkdudo into an SS an into FOH. :)

16. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

No doubt. If he has no choice.
    But not if he has access to regular gear.

Edit:

Just found this quote by LC: "I could get the same character [as my Bludotone amplifier]. To where it makes me, I'm feeling what I want to feel when I’m playing it's not as open as an amplifier would be but it's, it doesn't have any of the ugliness that a lot of other pedals have. This was just sweet in the center."

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    metalosophy likes this.
  17. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I agree to an extent with the digital tech. The real thing will sound slightly better but the difference is something only the guitarist would notice outside of a mix.

Also, SS does not equal digital! There are and have been plenty of analog SS amps that sound great. Peavy Specials, Bandits, Roland Jazz Chorus, Marshall Lead, Mosfet, Orange Pro Crush, Vox Pathfinder, Polytone, ZT, Quilter, and the list goes on.

kingofdogs1950 and davidchagrin like this.
  18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Not that it's actually really relevant to this particular discussion, but I think Eric Johnson's tone isn't all that, regardless of what others might think.

Pretty much same thing for Eric Clapton. I think some of his tones on the old Cream stuff were pretty good, but not sure it had much to do beyond just cranking the snot out of the amps he used back then. Some may consider it heresy in its own right, but I think E.C.'s overdriven tone from like the 80's onward is especially not so wonderful.

Anyway - I'll play along, with just a singular example - Jerry Donahue. He has a very dynamic/touch sensitive playing style, and prefers to keep stuff in the SS realm, because he doesn't like the response of tube amps, or their 'lack of immediacy', or similar such paraphrased terms. I'd also be careful to not try to peg him as a country player. What the guy can do on a guitar sometimes defies description, IMO.

I spend a bit of my time playing within that slightly dirty, edge of breakup amp state, really relying on a technique that exploits the 'touch sensitive thing', and I can get that with any number of amps, either tube or SS. And if it's a really big clean amp, I've got lots of pedals that do the edge of breakup thing as good as the dirty amps that do it on their own.

19. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I use the Trademark 10 regularly. Ranks right up there with the Vox Pathfinder 15r as a dynamite SS amp.

davidchagrin and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  20. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Go Team Trademark!
    I just bought a TM30 and previously owned a TM10.
    Nice amps.

M

davidchagrin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.