1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I sold my last tube amp. Who else loves solid state?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 2, 2021.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I love my tube amps but my Yamaha TH 10. And 100HD are fantastic for home and recording at low levels

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm not in either camp.

Tube versus solid-state amplification isn't an either/or discussion for me.
    I like them ALL. And I have owned most of 'em.

Guess which amps get lugged to the gig, in my own personal experience?

a. The lightest ones.
    The amps that weigh the least.
    Nobody wants to break their back loading in and loading out.

and,

b. The amps that work, and are least likely to break down.
    And I always bring a spare, just in case.
    Even if it sits in the van, awaiting its call to service.

As the OP implied earlier, nuances of tone go nearly out the window once pedals are introduced, and the amp is mic'ed to the PA.
    Bring what works, and that which won't destroy your lumbar spine.
    :)

3. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

I've been using solid state amps primarily for around 10 years - the usual suspects, Roland, Peavey, Tech 21. I love the practicality, weight and have been able to get great sounds out of all of them.

However in the last band I played with the other guy used a Hot Rod Deluxe and I always felt that side-by-side, he had a bigger sound - it wasn't a volume thing as I could play louder than him, but his sound was still just "bigger". When people talk of valve warmth, this is what I think of, rather than the way valves break up (as I think ss/modelling has nailed much of that now).

The analogy I think of is that it's like adding butter when you cook something - it doesn't necessarily taste like butter, but it makes the whole thing a bit richer. But that's just me rambling. The point I was trying to get to is that I'm now using a Session Bluesbaby, and to my ears, it has the butter! There is a fullness to the sound that my beloved old Roland doesn't have. Plus it's tiny and weighs next to nothing. I'm totally convinced.

Andre Rock likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

There’s no doubt that SS amps can produce great sounds, particularly sitting in a mix. In some cases they may sound superior to modeling amps. I still think that, alone in a room with tube and SS amps side by side, you can hear and feel (under your fingers) a difference. That difference may be small.
    I would personally prefer if modeling amps took a page from fender. Just model the amps, not the effects, particularly dirt effects.
    I’m holding on to my two tube amps for now. I’ve even thought of upgrading to my dream amp. On the other hand, I’m reasonably sure I will buy a Tone Master at some point and sell my current amps. In fact, if Marshall followed the Fender path and accurately modeled a Bluesbreaker or Plexi in a stand-alone, I might buy a TM and the Marshall.

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Could be that opinions on the topic don't really change much. That's true for me.

I currently have both ss and tube amps and have used both at various time in live settings, studio and home for many years. I've been able to get good results from both, however, tube amps sound better to me. No amount of argument or "logical" justification from others will change that.

It doesn't matter to me what anyone uses or why they use it. I buy/use what works for me. So my opinion really doesn't change due to threads on forums.

6. TelePickler

TelePickler TDPRI Member

AI have had, and gigged/recorded, with both over the years. Tubes still sound better to my ears. They just have "it" - a certain warmth and power. I keep up with the progress of modeling though, because it's oh-so-close to being able to replicate tubes.

7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Buy Kemper and have them all.

Frodebro likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

Don't need all of them. Don't need Vox, Mesa, Freidman, Victoria, Suhr, etc. Not interested. Don't need Kemper's effects. Don't need it's UI. Same with Helix, etc.
    I like what Fender did. It's an amp: Volume, Bass, Treble, Reverb, Tremolo, add Middle on the TM Twin.
    I had a Helix. After the initial infatuation, meh! Oh yeah, not just any speaker will do. Oh No, you need an FRFR speaker. Who needs that? Not I, said the little red rooster.

9. northernguitar

Just saying...you want Marshall and Fender...for what it would cost, may as well go Kemper. I agree that having it all aint necessary. And FWIW, I could have bought a used Kemper for the costs of my Orange and VOX heads, plus the Two Notes Captor loadbox and Mooer Radar. I know myself and what option paralysis I'd be dealing with with a wide scale modeller. I spent an afternoon with my former lead's AXE III and barely scratched the surface of what it offered....but I didn't really play a lot, just kept switching models while playing the same things.

10. burntfrijoles

BTW, I hope I didn't come off as being snippy. That wasn't my intent.
    I guess the cost would be similar depending on how Marshall priced their model. That said I would still hate to deal with the Kemper UI. Also, I could by with just the TM Deluxe Reverb if it takes pedals well. My Catalinbread DLS does an incredible Marshall-in-a-box thing. It's why I've never bothered with buying a Marshall.

northernguitar likes this.
  11. northernguitar

Not at all. I get the appeal of the TM and why the Kemper might be a turn-off, just based on the controls and the work to get one's amps up and running on the system.

12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I’ve had a few good solid state amps. Nothing wrong with a clean SS amp and pedals for dirt, especially at home. But, I like distortion and I particularly enjoy the sound of a cranked Marshall Super Lead. I’ve pretty much had them all and in my opinion even the best SS amp/pedal/modeler can only approximate the sound of a cranked tube amp. For playing live I’ll take a tube amp. I’m not a snob, it’s just that there is no product on the market that I’m aware of that actually sounds and feels like a cranked tube amp.

13. northernguitar

There are AXE and Kemper....but they come with steep price-tags.

14. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I’ve had a Fractal, tried a Kemper. Not the same. Still good. Will the audience know the difference? Of course not, but I do.

15. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Someday, I would love to try a Pritchard Sword Of Satori amplifier. 10-12 years ago the reviews of this solid state amp were incredible.

Anyone ever try one? There is a fella in the Pacific NW (sorry, can't remember his name at the moment) that made some incredible tube like solid state amps. I saw one of his amps for sale on craigslist and went to his web page. Again, never heard one, but the reviews were stellar.

At this point in my life, most of my amp/guitar collection has passed on to others. My 'gigging' amps consist of a 80's Peavey Studio Pro 112 I paid $40.00 for and a Monoprice 15 watt tube amp I got several years ago for $150 shipped.

Run stereo, the pair sounds pretty darn glorious!

Edit to say I found the company I brought up. It's Quimper Electronic Systems out of Port Orchard, Wa. I quess they no longer make amps, but the other things look cool. Anyone have exprience with his Glow pedals?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Pritchard is a very rare case of someone going to incredible lengths to achieve every characteristic equivalent of tubes in the SS realm, and I mean every single one, TTBOMK. He also didn't stop there, and apparently came up with specialized cabinets that are specifically tuned for guitar amplification - that's something you rarely see, even if it's for some kind of fancy boutique tube amp.

The obvious problem with stuff like Pritchard amps is that the vast majority of potential consumers are probably not going to commit to paying so much for a SS amp despite how good it might be (even if it is meticulously designed and hand built).

BB likes this.
  17. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I wish there was a nice FRFR cab for $100.

The little $100 Mackie monitors are interesting, but I just don't think they'd get me what I want which is the sound on the floor. I should just get a proper PA unit instead of a FRFR cab too maybe. I dunno. Digging to do.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

There is nothing within a vacuum tube that uniquely creates ('audible') warmth on its own.

However you define ('audible') warmth, IMO it can be done either with or without tubes. It's really only a limitation of circuit design, and what the intended sonic output is intentionally meant to be.

Case in point - there are a limitless number of vocal tracks and acoustic-only performances that use 100% non-tube tech, and a great many of them are very much 'warm' sounding. Therefore, IMO, this isn't something that ends up being unique to electric guitar amplification only.

19. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I have a couple of modeling amps, but have never owned a regular solid state guitar amp. Can't do without tube amps.

Spooky88 likes this.
  20. northernguitar

Used Peavey Bandit with a Celestion Seventy 80 swapped in. Patch in through the ‘Power Amp In’ and use the modelling unit for volume control.

metalosophy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.