1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I sold my last tube amp. Who else loves solid state?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 2, 2021.

1. ashtone54

ashtone54 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

This debate will never go away. In my opinion, tubes are the better choice for guitar and SS is better for bass, for all the reasons listed previously.
    But the bottom line is it’s whatever floats your boat. Compromise is part of life, even for gear. Price, maintenance and weight are sometimes a higher priority than a particular tonality. We all play for different reasons, and there’s no one size fits all guitar or amp.
    In my 53 years of playing and performing, I’ve had a few SS amps (anyone remember “Road” amps?), but the only one I currently own is a Marshall Lead 20. In fact, I like that amp enough that I have purchased six of them. But, for performance I choose either an old deluxe reverb or a recent Vox AC 15 HW.
    There’s an ass for every chair...

elihu and Gunny like this.
  2. Captain Krunch

Captain Krunch TDPRI Member

I have a couple SS amps but I'll shurley stick to my tube amps, thanks.

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

For like the past 5+ years, I've preferred heads and cabs over combos, because I found that I can maximize things with the proper speakers/cab.

I have a 60's Bassman AB165 with mods that I put thru a 2X12 with WGS ET65s, and I love the sounds I'm getting. But I got a Vox MV50 Boutique a couple of years ago, and I put it thru the same cabinet, and daggone it if it doesn't sound very similar (both tonally and volume-wise) to the Bassman. The funniest part is the Vox is roughly the size of a Klondike bar!

I've also found that I can make any amp - tube or not - sound like crap by using the 'wrong' speakers/cab. And so far I'm about 18/20 making any amp sound good, if mated to the right speakers/cab. Stuff like the Line 6 Spider II was simply not salvageable regardless of what speakers I tried. There was one other that I can't recall now.

DeepDangler and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  4. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb is the first solid state amp I’ve ever liked. I play in a country band where everyone is mic’d through the PA. I have the black one and the blonde one; black for classic country and blonde for red dirt.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I tried to-- I bought a used Princeton Chorus, but they sent me a PRRI instead. Oh well! I didn't exercise my return policy.

Telecastoff1 and EspyHop like this.
  6. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

If Vox would make a all analog 50 watt/1x12 combo that weighed 15 kg, with spring reverb and trem that sounds like my Vox Cambridge 15, I would probably go all solid state.

7. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

One thing I feel pretty confident in is, seems like Orange amps are the easiest for modelers to nail. Anyone else notice that?

8. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I currently have a new Tonemaster Twin Reverb and a BFVR, one upstairs and the other downstairs. I have been very impressed with the TR and played only that since I bought it a week ago or so.

I take my lessons downstairs to not disturb the house and flipped on the VR for the first time in a week. It struck me how different the VR was and in a good way. I would use a bunch of tone buzzwords, you know what I mean. But I think the TMTR sounds great on its own merits.

Would I want to sell the BFVR? No. But would I be happy with only the TMTR? Yes. Ommv

9. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

SS Amp? Is this some kind of trick question?
    For my pedal steel I will use a SS amp, but thats not what we are here for.
    There is no such thing as a SS amp that could come close to a tube amp for a guitar.
    Sorry, folks, thats just the way it is.

K

10. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

What if the he’s a better player and the other guys in the band kick you out?

I’m kind of the opposite. There are great tube and solid state guitar amps, but the only bass amps I really like are old tube SVTs and flip tops.

MilwMark likes this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    All SS here, no issues.

gimmeatele likes this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

“Tube warmth”. Good one. I think @EspyHop nailed it. Though I think we’d mutually agree. If you decided I was unqualified based on what amp I brought I’d be out of there so fast.

Well, as long as that’s settled? :lol:

Good point!

More generally, I’m always confused when people seem to believe there is a “tube sound” and a “SS sound”.

Does a Twin Reverb sound like a JCM800? Would anyone characterize a JCM800 or Plexi as “warm”.

Frodebro and DeepDangler like this.
  13. BengalB1956

BengalB1956 NEW MEMBER!

I have a Quilter head I use at home and take as a backup in case of any issues when we used to get out to play but in my opinion no SS can hang with the tone of a quality tube amp. Any live gig I have to have a warm tube with that breakup.

DeepDangler likes this.
  14. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I went from tube amps to a Helix LT for a couple of years. I love the Helix, it really is an amazing unit. I was missing the amp in the room feel, so I picked up a Laney 15 watt, bought some pedals, then bought a Laney Lionheart 5s. I found that I preferred something about the Laney when playing. I sold the Helix and now have a small pedal collection for my tube amp. Modelers will keep improving, and I'm sure I'll get one of the next gen modelers in the next 5 years. It is cyclic.

gimmeatele and DeepDangler like this.
  15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I do like modeling and i loved my AC15. For me, I can get 90% of the AC15 with my Vox MVX150C1. Dead on? No. But it’s close enough to my ear and having the loud tube amp was redundant. I’ve played half stacks, 2x12s that weight almost as much and small combos. If I get another tube amp, it will be something small and boxy. I just feel solid state gets a bad rap when there are so many great ones out there nobody will try. That and so many solid state haters only played old modeling amps or cheap speaker practice combos and judge all SS gear under unfair criteria.

16. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

This will always be an interesting debate, with no need for a correct opinion. Who cares what people prefer, we just need to play our guitars.

I use digital tech now, straight to the PA. Less to carry, more energy to drink wine or whatever.

11 Gauge, markal and DeepDangler like this.
  17. Andre Rock

Andre Rock TDPRI Member

I have played on, owned and enjoyed both kinds for quite a while, now. The very first amp I played was a fabulous solid state Music Man combo, which allowed me to literally clone the Radio Birdman guitar tones. First amp I owned was a Peavey Bandit 65. I liked it a lot but sold it to a band mate after I had bought a solid state Fender Stage Lead that I loved very much, very suitable for high energy rock ’n’ roll. The overdrive was very good and I stuck a Marshall Guv’nor in front. Fantastic. Many years after, I played on a Hiwatt 100 (all tube) stack and sometimes on a 30th Anniversary Marshall combo blue tolex. Very nice barking tone on channel 2 but that Marshall amp was too fragile, as I had to replace transformers and tubes too often. I loved playing on tube amps because I was lucky enough to live in a town where there was an excellent amp technician, extremely knowledgeable and competent, the tube wizard kind. I also owned a Peavey Classic 50 combo. Excellent. Now that I live in Mongolia, I wouldn’t be able to find a technician to maintain a valve amp. Not to say that tube amps always need a lot of maintenance. Some can play for years if not decades without a problem. I have just bought a Roland JC 120, as I do not use that much overdrive anymore. I play mostly surf and rock ’n’ roll/rockabilly and that suits me perfectly. If I could have my way I would get a Peavey Classic 50 4X10.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    DeepDangler likes this.
  18. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I started out on solid state back in the 70's and did not buy a valve till 10 years ago, I used a fender stage 100 for most of the passed 20 years, my biggest pro for solid state is it's less fuss on the gigging front, never had one blow a fuse or pop a component, in fact all I did to the stage 100 was replace the power in socket when it got cracked loading out one day

DeepDangler and Andre Rock like this.
  19. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

During my gigging/road-band days I used solid state for the reliability. There is a difference of sound between the two, but when I'm out on the road and don't have the time to get an amp worked on between gigs the solid state fit the bill.

Now that I'm no longer playing those kind of gigs I have a tube amp, I also carry a full replacement set of tubes.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Confirmation bias comes from an emotional place, not a rational one. That's why discussions on this topic always wind up following the same script.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.