1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I sold my last tube amp. Who else loves solid state?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 2, 2021.

1. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

My AC15HW1 just exchanged hands and now has a new home. I officially am down to one amp and no longer have tubes. I got to hear the AC one last time giving a rundown of the features and tones albeit at a heavily reduced volume.

I know most guitarist are weary of transistors and new technology but I’ve been loving my solid state gear. No specific pedals to emulate my cranked sound, no volume dependency, no power attenuators, no maintenance, and consistent performance. Most guys run pedals anyways which adds transistors in the circuit but then get fussy with transistors in the amp.

Why don’t guitarists embrace new technology? Who else exclusively uses solid state equipment?

2. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

2 years from now it'll read, "Hi, anyone know where I can get my hands on an AC30 Top Boost?"

guitrr, greenhornet, fjblair and 47 others like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Crickets?
    upload_2021-4-2_13-15-37.png

guitrr, dvh2, Skydog1010 and 4 others like this.
  4. groovezilla79

groovezilla79 Tele-Meister

Since COVID hit, I have sold all my amps. Only using the Helix right now. May eventually get another tube amp, but for now I don't see a need.

5. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

not exclusive...but I got no problem with *some* SS amps....but, with that said I can't seem to love modelers. They just don't do it for me.
    I played / gigged with a couple Fender SS amps for years. Loud, simple, reliable (and cheap).

guitrr, Marblatx, Maguchi and 6 others like this.
  6. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I love my THR, I love my Mark IV. If I didn't have the THR, i'd go buy a modeler. If i didn't have the Mark IV.. i'd buy a monoprice tube amp.

I like to continually debate with myself.

hdvades, DeepDangler and glenlivet like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I don't really have a preference SS vs. tube amps ( I own both) but do kind of need to check these boxes:

- small, and light, but powerful enough for small to moderate volume trio gigs

- sound good Clean, guitar>amp, as that's a sound I will use, along with an overdriven tone

- either have a decent OD channel, OR sound good with OD pedals

- have Reverb

- be cheap, really cheap

- look cool, always important!

Versatility is not really an issue with me- one decent sound is fine.

Last year's ( new/used) winner, my Fender Frontman 25R ( with Emi Legend speaker)
    20201010_200155.jpg

8. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

For years I only liked tube amps but in the last 5 years, I’ve added a late 80s Bandit and a ZT Lunchbox, both of which I love and have used quite a bit for gigs and the odd recording. I like the tones I can get from them as well as how solid and reliable they are. I still love my ‘65 PRRI probably best but I don’t quite get the same reliability and dependability from it at gigs as I do the Peavey and ZT. Both are indispensable.

guitrr, Marblatx, Maguchi and 4 others like this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I like the way that amp in a box manufacturers exploit fets. I like the sunn beta lead alright. Those early baldwin germanium transistors solid states can be cool sometimes too. But a jazz chorus or similar is a long ways away from that, and has been the norm for some time. And a lot of amps the dirt is basically just a diode clipper OD pedal built in, and I don't care for that. That whole “pedal platform” thing is just the opposite of what I want. I want squish and an interesting distortion character.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

.... nope..... I wish I did though.

11. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

I like my SS amps, and always have. I am a low volume player, typically at home. Legendary Vox Pathfinder 15R is my home rig, won't move anytime soon. Amps tend to stay for around a decade with me. Pedals on the other hand...

12. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

Having just got back into it, I got a Blues Jr. I know a lot of people hate that amp, but it works for me for playing at home with a few pedals. I’ve owned all kinds of amps. Some SS were good, some TUBES were turds. Not all tube amps are good. Not all SS are bad. Find what works for you and enjoy life.

13. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Funny you should bring it up, but I am currently thinking about selling my AC30HWH and using my Bass amp instead.
    I have a Trace Elliott GP12SMX like this one:

[​IMG]

Valve input, graphic EQ, Hi and Lo band Compressors, FX loop, 400 watts...
    I know I'd miss the AC30 but for the amount of use its getting at the moment, and for the forseeable future, I might just use the TE instead.

14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Solid state amps really aren't that new. Been around for at least 50 years.

I am sure the tech has come a long way, but I think most guitarists of a certain age or experience have had a bad sounding solid state amp.

I know I started on SS amps, and the moment I got my first tube amp was the moment I started to like the way my guitar playing sounded... so I guess for me, it's hard to go back.

15. Spats Davenport

Spats Davenport TDPRI Member

I am very happy with my TMDR. But I will never sell my '64 Champ. It keeps me grounded!

Skydog1010, 39martind18 and hdvades like this.
  16. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I've never had reliability problems with tube amps. I have had plenty of tone issues with ss amps. They kill the upper harmonics and don't have the dynamic range and leave your sound a corpse. Flat, dead, stiff, unresponsive.

dvh2, TimT, Axegrinder77 and 8 others like this.
  17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I gave mine to my Son in Law who never uses it and regret it dearly. Really good S/S Fender cleans.

Maguchi likes this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve used SS amps live on and off for my entire career. I have one now that has done pretty much every gig I’ve done for the last 3.5 years. In the hundreds.

I have some tube amps as well. I like them both. I have absolutely no issue gigging with either one. For really big gigs I tend to go SS for the high power and clean headroom. I have a 120 watt combo that will peel paint before it breaks up, if I set the knobs that way. It weighs 23 lbs. A tube amp that would do the same thing would be twice the size and three times the weight. I’ll keep my SS for that application.

guitrr, Maguchi, igor5 and 10 others like this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I find that SS amps typically have much, much more dynamic range than any tube amp. I generally use tube amps when I don’t want a dynamic amplifier. The way they compress, break up, and can have saggy power sections can definitely be assets, but are the complete antithesis of a dynamic amp.

Dynamics to me are what SS really excels at. They typically give very little interference, and very high level of player control. I can set one very loud and have a volume range from pretty much zero, to leveling the building, all with my picking hand, and with no change in the tone, no compression, and no saturation or breakup. From the quietest touch to the loudest. It only does exactly what I tell it to, and doesn’t step on me or limit me at all except by it’s available power. Which can be plenty for anything if you buy the right one.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Marblatx, beagle, FortyEight and 14 others like this.
  20. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

I wish my abs were solid state.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.