I sold 3 guitars I never played, felt weird at first, now I want to sell more

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Horizontal guitar hangers! For the Parker and the steinberger. A quick google search pulled up a variety of these style of all mount ranging from $8-$60.

Attached Files:

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I appreciate the helpful suggestion, but in my limited space I gotta go vertical, plus those seafoam green electric mandolas are kinda slick lookin', heheh

Danjabellza likes this.
  3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Inverted GAS...

Digital Larry likes this.
  4. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

I only regret giving up the 61 Tele that I traded my $199 Aria Stray Cat for.

I traded it the next day for a $1000 Dean with EMG's and a moderate sized Peavy PA system.

I obviously came out better than the guy I got the Tele from, I thought I robbed the music store that took it in trade... They were probably struggling to contain their laughter till I left.

This was in the mid to late 80's by the way... The pain only gets worse with age.

Did I mention the Tele was dead mint with original case?

stratofortress likes this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I did the same years ago, sold a lot of guitars and now I only have four, two band guitars, a home guitar and an acoustic

Downsizing makes you play more, I think

6. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I had a rickenbacker for about 12 years. I wanted to like it but I never did. Finally sold it and got an AV 58 tele. I always said if I could snap my fingers and turn it into a cool tele I would and I did. Now I love all my guitars and wouldn't be able to sell any of them.

7. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

After a bit of a binge in 2016 I have managed to give up buying. But for some reason I still find it hard to sell guitars even if I haven’t played them for years. Same with most gear.

Any future spend will be on repairs and upgrades on current guitars.

8. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

I sold one last week. I listed it 3 times on CL over the last 3 years but never got the right offers.
    I listed it a few weeks ago, at the bottom of the listing I put "no lowballers, no scammers and no trades"
    My first reply was an offer for $50 less than my listing along with and I can meet you tomorrow. My reply was that I just listed it and would like to let it ride for a week to see if I get an offer for my asking price & if not I would get back with them. None came so then I contacted him on the weekend with a reply that something came up and he needed to move another guitar first.
    The next couple weeks I had lowballers and that Nigerian Prince dude wanted it.
    Then a reply from a guy that wanted me to call and he never dickered about price and bought it. Nice guy and one of my best CL experiences.
    Hand not played it for 3-4 years, a Les Paul and just couldn't bond with that slim profile neck.

9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

In the past, I've held onto things for sentimental reasons. Then I just said screw it and sold a bunch of stuff that was taking up space (mental and physical) and I never missed any of it at all. So now I don't keep anything for sentimental reasons except a couple of pieces of furniture that were my parents' and remind me of them and I'll probably hand down to my kids. But it's also still useful. I got rid of a really nice huge piece of sentimental furniture when we downsized and didn't have room for it anymore and I never missed it a bit. My sister has it now and I've seen it a couple of times and I've never felt any regret for letting it go. I had two guitars for most of my playing life - a strat and a D-28. If I was ever gonna feel sentimental over guitars, those were them. But when I hadn't been playing for about 20 years I sold them and never regretted it. Since I got back into playing I have a strat now I like more than that one and a Martin that's better for me at this stage of my playing life than a D-28 would be even though the D-28 is a nicer instrument. I have two electrics and two acoustics (one nice Martin, one user-cheap Jim Dandy just to have something I can mistreat without worrying about it). If I stop using any of them for a long period of time, they'll be gone too. At this point, I play all of them a good amount except for the cheap acoustic, but it comes in handy at times and it's not worth anything to sell anyway.

Sentiment is good to have for people - I plan to hang onto my wife and daughters and other loved ones for as long as we're alive. Stuff, OTOH, comes and goes. You think you'll miss it but it can all be replaced...

-Ray

10. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

The only thing that has survived my 20yrs of guitar experience is a 1978 Martin D28 that was my dad's. I've bought/sold/traded countless other guitars, amps & pedals since then, but they're all expendable.

I'm currently playing a homemade guitar that I've been piecing together for 2-3yrs, and that one would actually be hard to let go of for some reason. It's not the best sounding or playing guitar, and it's certainly not valuable, but something about it being made by me makes it harder to get rid of.

I also recently picked up my first Danelectro, and it would be tough to let it go as well, it's just such a cool guitar. But I'm sure that will change!

If I've learned anything it's to stop buying retail with guitar gear. I always buy used these days, and buying vintage is even better, not for quality or nostalgic reasons, but simply because the value has already been determined and I know I get my money back when (not if) I decide to sell it.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got more and more queasy with each new sentence...:eek:

drf64 likes this.
  12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I recently sold a couple guitars, but I don't first look at the guitars that the guitars that I "never play" because... well, there aren't any. But rather, I look at the guitars that are underplayed now, but generated enough income in the past that I don't feel bad about selling at a fairly deep discount. Case in point - I just sold a Fender CS Strat for about a 40% discount from what I paid for it. However, I made about 75% of the guitars initial cost using it on gigs. I also sold a Fender Tele for about 60% over what I paid for it, and I used it on enough gigs that I probably made all of the initial cost back to begin with.

It actually does feel good to thin the herd a little, and there will be a little more thinning, but I still have quite a few guitars, and many that I won't consider parting with.

13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

This never happened, okay? It was just implanted memories. Maybe you don't need to believe that, but I do.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting to hear that. I've been wondering just how much better are CS guitars than my builds.

15. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Ha! That's me too. I enjoy telling myself I can "get by" with my Telecaster, Riviera, and an acoustic. . . unless I want to play my wife's Strat. . . or Jazzmaster. . . or Mustang. . .

Obsessed likes this.
  16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that factor (making money with music) doesn't enter into my equation. Even when I was doing a monthly gig 25 years ago, it was just for dinner and beer usually. Not that I want to think about it too much but I've probably spent 5x to 10x what I've ever "made" by playing music ON musical equipment.

I hardly played at all for 8 to 10 years after my twins were born as I was just flattened by the effort of raising them and trying to hang on to a job. I used to do a lot of home recording before the kids were born and that has not come back to anywhere near what I was doing - I have a tough time getting past the "ideas for a riff that might eventually become a song that nobody except me would enjoy listening to". Now I DO enjoy playing with other people when possible but that is also fairly rare and doesn't require 8 guitars. One of my basses and an amp setup is on semi permanent loan to a friend who only got back to playing a couple years after his wife passed away and his kids went off to college.

I think the recent events are a positive sign in that I have started to make a distinction between guitars that I really had a bond with vs. other ones that looked nice or supposedly had some wonderful feature that caused me to buy them in the first place. For example, the two headless guitars - the Hohner had miraculous tuning stability and some interesting sounds, but I only ever took it with me as a travel guitar, and didn't like the gloss finish on the neck or trying to balance it on my leg with the little flip-out doohickey. For travel I'll use the tenor Eleuke.

Reading this over I see that somehow I consider both buying and selling guitars as signs of improved mental health, and apathy towards playing more than anything a sign of stress.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  17. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's an important distinction to make. Yeah, I'm fortunate to have made some cash with my guitars, but I too had to think about whether it was worth keeping a guitar because I liked one or two features that it offered. It's just easier to make the decision to move something when I'm not all that worried about taking a big loss.

As with the contents of my entire home, I feel that getting rid of unnecessary items is indeed therapeutic.

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Me too, sold two Telescand two Precision’s. Feel somehow ‘clean’, bought a new Pro Tele. Electrics are now the Pro, AmStd Strat, and a squire back up for each. It’s just so right.

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Things come and go..
    I have several things I collect and due to space and fiscal limitations when something new comes something else needs to go, I have actually turned it into a little income stream for my retirement.

It’s also fun to get someone in to something they want. I took a guitar to a shop the other day looking for a part, they had it but the guy liked the guitar so we did a trade.

I have an acoustic of a type that a friend admired in his youth.. we will work something out.

I have been putting together a small “keeper” collection.. I’m pretty close one each of an electric, acoustic, classical, bass, a few other stringed instuments, a few amps.. same with my other things..

I think your focus changes as you gain experience, less is often more as you understand what works for you, is often not the thing you thought would work for you..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sell several cool things and buy 1 REALLY cool thing.
    Been there several times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.