I sold 3 guitars I never played, felt weird at first, now I want to sell more

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I sold the first electric guitar I ever bought, about 35 years ago. Yamaha SSC500. I think I bought it for $99 and sold it for $175 to Starving Musician. They come out and say "We'll give you half of what you probably think you could get for it". They gave me $150 for a Hohner G3T and $100 for a Dearmond Ashbory bass. Plus or minus ten percent I think that was reasonable.

The Yamaha's hard shell case had a bunch of backstage passes I glued to it years ago from when I had a job in "the biz". Some pretty high profile shows - Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Rush, Bob Dylan, etc.

There was some sentimental value to all of that so I at least took pictures of everything. Felt a little weird at first but I know I never would have played any of them enough to warrant keeping them around. I made the mistake of plugging the Yamaha in and trying it one last time. It sounded pretty good!

Now I have a Parker P-36 and a Steinberger Spirit HSH that are mocking me and daring me to sell them. The Parker is nice but due to the crazy headstock design I can't hang it up anywhere. The Steinberger has no head at all, so similar issue. If they aren't hanging up I don't play them.

I did take the proceeds from my sale and got a Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster which is on the way from Sweetwater. But If I sell these other guitars I don't think I want another guitar! Maybe an electric mandola?

At one point I thought "I need one of every major type of guitar, see, because it will be so important when I record something", but I hardly ever record anything any more. Now it's getting to be a contest between the remaining guitars of which ones feel nice to play and then also make some nice sounds when plugged in. The Parker is really a nice guitar, and it feels nice to play, and it does have that piezo bridge assuming I wanted to try that kind of sound for something. But I also have a Taylor with a pickup in it that sounds pretty good, so the Parker is starting to recede into the distance... it was fun while it lasted...

dswo likes this.
  2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have some I need to sell, I just don’t want to, it’s like selling tour kids.

stratofortress and 2blue2 like this.
  3. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I keep one of my guitars for sentimental value. The others can go anytime someone offers me more than what they're worth.

jvin248 likes this.
  4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

It's OK to thin the herd. If you've got no useful need for it, why not? Sometimes cleaning the closet is a good thing. Sentimental things are the toughest. In that case, you might take the most careful consideration..Guitars are tools, you need the right ones.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Easily 100+ guitars have gone through my hands.

I regret selling/miss less than 10...

Water off a ducks back

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I sold off my best built electric guitar last summer, but because I rarely played it, I feel better now. 3 electrics, 3 acoustics and 1 bass now. I think I have found my comfortable number.

Of course I must add that my wife has a few that I can play too.:D

6BQ5 and 2blue2 like this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Guitars are like tools unless you're a collector. I use the best ones for the gig requirements.

voodooblues likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I think I seriously regret selling just one, and have minor misgivings about another. That’s after a ton of guitars. I used to have a dozen vintage flattops hanging around at once. Now I play my favorite flattop & Tele, and I’ve honestly lost the desire for buying others for the part 15 years. Guess I’ve got good ones. Those two guitars are just great sounding, versatile & comfortable for me. And listeners have commented on them positively for years.

I was really into buying and selling for about 20 years, mostly vintage stuff. I think a big part of it was the thrill of the hunt, not the ownership. At least for me.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have several guitars that I could live without and should sell. However, I haven't been able to do it. I really like them (even though they aren't heavily played) and I know that they can't be replaced.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Selling can be contagious too.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've quit buying and sold two off so far. I have a few that I should sell but mostly too lazy. I still look at the catalogs and dream but I'm done with buying for now. A few are keepers I won't sell.

12. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

If the guitars you sell or want to sell have no real use and/or sentimental value, go for it~ It's relieving and almost therapeutic in its' own way.

There was only one time I almost sold a guitar that I would've regretted; my Taylor 614ce (a precious gift from my father) it was going to help finance my dream guitar that I was short on (a super limited CS Angus Young SG, Artist Proof #10) but I just couldn't do it when the offers came in and boy am I incredibly glad I didn't sell it. A good childhood friend/bandmate of mine knew I was struggling to find the funds and without a moments hesitation, he lent me the money I needed to purchase the SG. He knew I wouldn't be able to pay him back for a bit.. yet he still lent it to me (I did pay him back of course). I'm blessed to have a friend like him.

jannodude, po-boy and Tele1966 like this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good to hear, I have been trying to get myself to thin the heard for months. I have a list of amps and guitars that I rarely play anymore and gaining space would sure be nice, but I keep talking myself out of it before I post them. I think I need to have the listings ready for the next time that I get angry trying to learn a new song and feel like throwing everything out the window. Stike while the iron is hot.

stratofortress likes this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I used to regret selling a few guitars, but really it was because I bought at retail and sold at wholesale (pre-Internet). I sold two last year that I still feel good about moving on.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know how many guitars I have. To me, that means there are too many of them. I know though that I generally cannot get much of anything for them

16. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I must have eight to ten guitars I've never played, don't even know if they'd make noise if I plugged them into an amp.

2blue2 likes this.
  17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I feel better now, I only have 6 that never get played. The other 7 are used often. Amps are about as bad, but somehow I don't mind that with amps as much.

18. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Sold off 3 custom shop teles last Nov. No regrets never played them. My MJT partscasters feel and sound better.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  19. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

All of you stop it!
    I got my fingers in my ears.."Na Na Na Na Na Na"

20. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If it makes you feel any better, my unplayed guitars are mostly prototypes and production examples supplied by the company making, and marketing, my guitar designs.

Of course, that's really no excuse for my not playing them.

2blue2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.