I Slept On Old Peavey Solid States for Way Too Long

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
most of the time it is not the amp but the player's inability to dial in their sound they are looking for. it isn't the amp's fault.

play music!
Precisely...whenever I would hear anyone complain they couldn't find a decent sound out of their Peavey Special 130, I just told them they needed to be smarter than the amp and take their time with the eq settings, because the sound they were looking for IS in there....they just had to find it.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Josh Home’s secret weapon is god-given talent.

Good luck to those paying silly prices for stuff people couldn’t give away for 3 decades.
Yeah, that can apply to just about every little practice amp out there.....SS or tube, no matter who makes it.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
I own lots of amps...mostly older Fender and older Peavey amps. Normally I'd been gigging with either my '71 SFTR or one of my '80's Peavey Special 130 amps. I can get exactly what I need from either one...no problem. But, the last six months I've been gigging almost exclusively with my Peavey Nashville 400. I've got it dialed in exactly where I need it, and that big, bold 15" Black Widow 1501-4 speaker really delivers. Because it's a solid state Peavey, it sounds just as great at very low, home volumes as it does outside on a large, un-miced stage. And I must say, I have NEVER had any of my Peavey amps break down on me.

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My first guitar amp was a Bandit 65. I didn't care much for the OD channel, but the cleans were very nice.
They are nearly indestructible. Mine endured 3 floods. It survived two floods intact. The third time it was under water for too long and the cabinet fell apart.
Amazingly, the chassis and speaker still worked when they dried out.
I ended up giving it to a friend, and he used the Black Widow speaker in a custom cabinet he built.

INFANT

Tele-Holic
I gigged a Peavey Classic hybrid from '75 until the mid '90s with no problems whatsoever. Built like a tank, spent many a night in a cold garage when I was too tired to lug it downstairs. Then about 10 years ago I picked up a red stripe Bandit for about $80 US in near mint condition. Again, built like a tank and very reliable. These will live forever like cockroaches and Keef.

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
I donated a very clean Bandit 65 to a veterans' organization a few years ago. Maybe I should feel bad about losing this great amp - but I will probably never need to play that loud again.

Back in my bar-band heyday, the early 80s, one of the top blues-rock players in town gigged regularly with FOUR Special 130s, stacked 2 x 2. Good Lord!

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I'm keeping my Backstage Plus. Got it when I worked at a music store in the 80s, so I hardly paid anything for it. It's loud, and is capable of some really great tones all by itself. Works great with pedals too. I fantasize about making a pine cab for it - maybe big enough for a 12" speaker.

Alaska Mike

TDPRI Member
All this talk about '80s Peaveys has me getting nostalgic. Maybe jumping on Reverb (can you imagine the shipping on a Bandit to Alaska?) or Facebook Marketplace and picking up one.

Then again, between my Princeton and Swart AST I have more amplifiers than I need. My back isn't what it was in my teens, either.

Problem is there is just so much good gear out there, if you can call that a problem. I constantly have to fight the urge to go all Pokémon (Gotta Catch 'Em All) on music gear. I've tried to start adopting the 5 Watt World philosophy and control the acquisitions. Just focus on keeping things that I truly connect with and shedding the rest. So far it's a losing battle, but...

It's really a testament to Hartley Peavey that we're talking about amplifiers that are 40+ years old as being road-worthy, while many of their contemporaries are being relegated to home and studio use, if not the dump. It really was a great thing that he brought durable, good-sounding equipment to players of all levels at affordable prices for so long.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't how you could have slept on Peavey amps. Now old Kustom amps, that's a different story. They had real nice padding.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Um, yeah, so I traded my first amp, a 72 Twin Reverb, for a Peavey Renown back in the 80’s. Cause, you know, metal was cool and the twin didn’t chug. I mean who really likes the sound of a Twin anyway?

I wonder if a Twin through a closed-back cabinet with a Boss HM-2 would chug? It'd definitely "chug" to carry.

most of the time it is not the amp but the player's inability to dial in their sound they are looking for. it isn't the amp's fault.

Precisely...whenever I would hear anyone complain they couldn't find a decent sound out of their Peavey Special 130, I just told them they needed to be smarter than the amp and take their time with the eq settings, because the sound they were looking for IS in there....they just had to find it.

It blows me away that people will spend hundreds on an amp, set every knob at noon and then say the amp is bad, etc. Twist all the knobs! They're yours! You bought them all, not just the volume! See what that bright switch does, try out the mid boost, whatever it's got!

I have amps where, for some guitars, there are knobs on 2 and knobs on 10. It's allowed!

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a Bandit 65 that I LOVED for that country sound!
My only issue with the Bandit 65 was that it's heavier than my Mesa Boogie F-30.

Anyway I sold the Bandit 65 and found a Peavey Studio Pro form the same era. Very loud and 10- 15 pounds lighter

Censport

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I had a Decade back in the day. Don't remember it being all that special. Now the Stereo Chorus 400, that was a good amp. Great clean tones, great reverb, and of course great chorus. Traded it towards a Marshall stack. That was a mistake because not only was the Marshall not what I really needed, but it also played the local easy listening station between my playing. An SC400 was in a neighborhood music store a couple of years ago and I should have bought it then, but intended to go back and play it first when I had more time. Drove over there a few months later and both the amp and store were gone.

dscf1842-04ccd080-640x480.jpg

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
I wonder if a Twin through a closed-back cabinet with a Boss HM-2 would chug? It'd definitely "chug" to carry.

Ironically, I ended up getting a Fender 2x12 closed back cab to run the Renown through! I think I paid $125 for the cab. Man things were a lot more affordable then. I loved that Twin and regretted that trade immediately afterwards.