I Slept On Old Peavey Solid States for Way Too Long

Cody_J

Tele-Meister
I've always liked Peaveys...where I grew up they were known as Redneck Marshalls.

A pal of mine from NYC who plays in several rock and blues bands uses a Bandit 112 and a couple of pedals onstage, and he kills with it. He's usually slinging a Reverend guitar.

"Redneck Marshalls" -- I like that a lot, haha.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
IDK if you have heard, but Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age offered this little tidbit and the value of SS 8" Peavey Decade amps went up by 10x in a few days. They are now on reverb for $600-$1,000.

seriously? Now I find this out.

I sold a LTD M10 and a Peavey Decade for $125 about six months ago to a friend. I guess I need to see if he still has that amp!!

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
my first "big boy" amp from when I was 16 was a Peavey Classic Chorus 130. It was a stereo 2x12" that was bigger than an ac30 and weighed like 80 pounds - I think it was peavey's answer to the roland jazz chorus. It wasn't loud at all - 130 watts RMS "stereo" so 65 solid state watts per side. the cleans were really really good, as I recall. But for what it was - a gigantic monster the size of a GM 454 - it just wasn't loud. The blues jr I got to replace it was noticeably louder.

I gave it away to a neighborhood kid about 10 years ago for use with his band. I hope it's still getting good use.

Cody_J

Tele-Meister
my first "big boy" amp from when I was 16 was a Peavey Classic Chorus 130. It was a stereo 2x12" that was bigger than an ac30 and weighed like 80 pounds - I think it was peavey's answer to the roland jazz chorus. It wasn't loud at all - 130 watts RMS "stereo" so 65 solid state watts per side. the cleans were really really good, as I recall. But for what it was - a gigantic monster the size of a GM 454 - it just wasn't loud. The blues jr I got to replace it was noticeably louder.

I gave it away to a neighborhood kid about 10 years ago for use with his band. I hope it's still getting good use.

They're certainly heavy -- no arguing with you on that one!

Cody_J

Tele-Meister
I've had a hankerin' for an older Fender SS for loud clean tones with spring reverb, and have wondered if I should be looking at old Peavey amps too.

I am certainly digging the clean sound of this amp, and the reverb is actually really great too. I had a clip in this video showing off the reverb, but had to cut it to keep the video in the "3 minute" format.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
My first guitar amp. The T-60 that I got at the same time for my 16th birthday (in 1983) didn't survive my cash-starved 20s but I've been toting this thing around for nearly 40 years.

It (recently) spent a decade in a storage unit so it needs a good cleaning and some TLC but it still GETS LOUD!! I'm so glad I kept it.

PXL_20211213_173346374.MP.jpg

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
There are a lot of old Peaveys on recordings no doubt. Paul Weller used a Backstage 30 in the studio and for TV live and some stage live too for many years.

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
They're certainly heavy -- no arguing with you on that one!
Yeah, I could lug that sucker around at 16 no problem. Now, pushing 40, it's a different story. Unfortunately, that clean sound is exactly what I'm after for jazz playing now. The irony!

That bandit you have is a good amp. Jerry Reed used one, so you know it's got some good sounds in it.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a bandit 112, and though a few years ago most soundmen would complain about it, but now they seem to be ok with it.

Never had any trouble with it in 20 years. It had beer spilled on it, was knocked around, the singer in the cowpunk band i used to play with climbed on it, surfing style, to get the reverb splash sound, fell down from it, the amp crashed, a few knobs were missing, and still working.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
This hybrid was my gig amp all through the 80's and well into the 90's. Great amp for Synyrd and such.

Peavey VT Classic.
QR3-llXp6mYThNyOY8D5uJypPM3PxM038ArHz5t5YyGEDBIZSlQcqC9axPDRW3QS54Wajd9ibBY0ablZm6B1XJ-L_ydsnAEyRaubkutf17t4HIg6T_hlWwJ2CNxnwmST1fihPyX3XgsvVeO_SyuJYQDzV_kB9oHW8ouEE63Eq0_p8MK-1MD_ukV_uGlrR3NDuEjvuxpFUM0uKZhBGoAw_9wYvQxwZ1KYQbdgXNSGo7puXK7iSdqqzB6uU_fayebQ09CH_PBMhHXOR_bdPrYsi4mq3evOQL_AYf_siTmGcJlNUInGA7wCKvZeZ9LESe6vLee0bXJmVkc1C4TmbMKNuWdwGu8wrk_1dRx5HWAgPPpU5MUQbjnJk-Mrh8aIZUFCxxe9v8vlKev1qpBL0F-nnQPSSrE8QG5goXMeOv5n0sH92KykROsMaKY5_iw9DSumjJZUkoPC2Ax92fumWrRA6Q4LnO918RnQoS5Y-cH2AIcBrwK_z8eIRcA6FX1i967VMKdjMJX2FiFZZenYIBt8rUlq5ugHdvvAZv-F-_KlcZcnDPdlaGmn1BES7y5lZnyazDGssozUeUXTc5FcDF13swEu4eg7eYl3_nQaJ9wzITVCaGZLYDco8EIQFpMGLdWGX04WOmS3AV32pxSULDJzizRp-_wlk-D-RWAhkIQX7Cqs4gLneRsYkVY0DoRb-c39QDWxRfbo26a5K5-RnE9qEjlh=w800-h561-no

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
I have an unhealthy affection for old, tanky, heavy US Peavey amps. They were the only brand available in the little music shop in my town as a kid and so they have a huge nostalgic appeal for me. I'm looking to add a Musician head with the built-in fuzz to my collection. I already have a super clean 115 cab with a Black Widow in it.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My first amp was a Peavey Studio Pro 40. My dad has it now. I drifted off to the world of tube amps at one point and let him have it. Lots of good memories with that amp though. I carried that thing on the bus to so many rehearsals and gigs as a teenager - guitar case in one hand and the amp in the other to balance out on those winter sidewalks. Good times.