I should reach for my Tele when...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ArdeliasTele, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

when zombies are at the door and other mechanical means of defense have malfunctioned, grab a Tele

Chicago Matt and ArdeliasTele like this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

…I’ve had a cup of coffee and gotten out of bed.

dougstrum and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. ArdeliasTele

ArdeliasTele Tele-Meister

Well, no I wouldn't...I'm aware of the Tele's versatility. That's why I said part of the problem is that I legitimately could use it for anything :)

4. ArdeliasTele

ArdeliasTele Tele-Meister

In general for the folks saying "use the knobs"...

I appreciate the advice, and I also really appreciate the intent, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for; trust me, I have been thoroughly using the knobs :)

The range of tones and versatility that are available to the Tele are part of the "problem" (if you could really call it a problem).

I'm used to guitars having such a distinct voice that places and ways to use them suggest themselves. Teles have so many possible "distinct voices" that I'm struggling to sort out where I want to use it.

It's a great problem to have, certainly. I'm mostly just looking for some tips or suggestions I haven't thought about.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

My Tele is an ‘04 American Series so it doesn’t do the traditional Tele sound that well. My highly modified parts Strat does that. That’s not why I bought it though. I needed a very dependable sort of generic rock guitar. I tried every guitar I could for a couple of years and it more than fit the bill. But it stays in tune better than any other guitar I have so I reach for it whenever I need to do a lot of string bending. It absolutely excels at that.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Chicago Matt likes this.
  6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Well (besides feel), my Teles feature slightly overwound single coils that still sound very Tele, but have a little more output, midrange and rounded treble than vintage. I reach for a Tele when:
    1. I want a higher output, higher midrange bridge pickup sound for classic rock or country than my Strat provides.
    2. I want a darker, more direct sounding neck tone for some blues or jazz.
    3. I want that distinctive parallel middle switch position for funk and brighter, more scooped rhythm tone that I can't really get from the Strat.
    For blues rock and many pop sounds, the Strat is king for me and still more versatile (IMO) than a Tele, especially with an onboard mid boost. The Strat neck pickup is a liquidy clear sound that is unique to a Strat. I love both guitars and wouldn't want to be without either one. Use your ears and pick one.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    ArdeliasTele likes this.
  7. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

When I don’t need a trem.

8. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

When you want to hear string separation and clarity in chord progressions with inner movement.

Chicago Matt and ArdeliasTele like this.
  9. scook

scook Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Although a Tele can cover a lot of ground with various tones and sounds, if it’s a niche guitar with specific sounds for you that’s what it is. Lots of players have Teles as their main guitar and utilize its versatility. Many players use Teles as their main guitar and only use one specific sound out of it. Many players primary guitar might be something totally different but occasionally use a Tele. Nothing wrong with any of the scenarios.

Is your conundrum with the Tele based around sounds/tones or playability? The flatter radius on the Schecter might feel better to you than the tighter radius on most Teles.

Some folks get really comfortable with the controls on one style of guitar versus another, that may play into it.

Pickup experiments are always fun too.

Sometimes with a different style guitar than what you’re accustomed too, you just need to put time into the instrument to get acquainted with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.