i should know this, peg to nut

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tedro, Dec 8, 2019.

1. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

on a tele or strat neck, is where the string comes off the tuning peg supposed to be a straight line to and through the nut? or does the nut pull the string into line, as it sends it on and to the bridge?

tia

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

From the tuning peg to the nut should have straight string pull, be straight from the peg to nut
    Although there should be a little angle from nut to peg caused by wrapping strings lower on the peg and the string tree ,which keeps the right amount of tension over the nut

This is the best I can explain based on my understanding of the question

I’m not sure about the nut to bridge part of the question

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Unlike a 3x3 headstock, the strings going over a Fender nut should only 'break' in the vertical plane, not the horizontal. In other words, saddle to tuning peg, the nut, and the tree(s) should be inline, and not pull the strings sideways.

4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The string should descend from the nut to the tuning peg.

The only part of the nut that is in constant contact with the string should be the very leading edge.

The nut slot should widen and angle down out the back, permitting the string to fall away to the peg.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

We're not talking break-over angle here. This is looking 90 degrees from the plane of the headstock.
    Generally, yeah: the strings are in a straight line through the nut slots. However, if there's a slight angle, it's fine.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Straight string pull was a feature back then AFAIK.
    Since then we got things like the hockey stick and banana headstocks that showed it wasn't really all that important.
    But if it's supposed to be straight and is a little off that looks like a mistake not a design feature.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Yep the strings should be straight-through. Fender got it right. The left-right string angling at the nut is a constant source of suspicion on 3x3 Gibsons whenever their tuning stability comes into question. How often it is guilty is open to question. But it leads to things like this ...
    [​IMG]

Getting 2D nut slot profiling exactly right in one plane is hard enough, ie for straight-through. 3D slot profiling (for Gibson-style 3x3) is an extra level of difficulty.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  8. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

thanks all, i thought as much.
    i’ve got one that isn’t; and the nut pulls the strings from low (6th str) toward high (1st).

ps. will glue hold it?

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

What do you mean? You want to slide the nut sideways in its slot?

Before you do, look at the distance between each E string and the top playing surface of the frets (not the edge of the fingerboard). This is critical because you need about 1/8" of fret top on the outside of each E string. Any less than that, and you'll find yourself pulling the E strings off the frets' ends.

10. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

what i was referring to is a strat neck that was made where the tuning peg holes apparently weren’t placed exactly so the string would cross the nut in a straight line; thus, the nut (not glued) gets pulled out and over upwards of the low E.

—i was just checking and what i get from the replies here is: yes. it should be a straight line, ie, holes must drilled accordingly.

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Yes, it should be a straight line. But if it's off by a bit, it's not a problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.