i should be embarrased but i'm more puzzled

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by thunderbyrd, Oct 16, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Unless I missed it, no one's mentioned what I think your problem is.....you're describing a classic case of "stage fright". Some people with stage fright get "the shakes", sweats, start stammering, etc. Some simply forget their part. (music, lyrics, script lines, whatever) Having (fortunately) never experienced this myself, I don't have an easy solution. Do you perform in public regularly, or just sporadically? I suspect your issue is not practicing the song enough, (although that is important) but not playing before an audience enough. Maybe someone else knows a good cure for this? Good luck.

P Thought likes this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

If your problem is actually anxiety or stage fright, then read up on and discuss Propranolol with your doctor. It's a beta blocker that's used to treat blood pressure, irregular heart beat, even migraines, but it's been known for decades to be effective for treating anxiety, even PTSD. Lots of professional entertainers have been using it for years when they perform.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Imagine the crowd wearing nothing but underwear...

4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

When i run into something that just doesn't stick, I usually try to play the arrangement in a different location on the neck. Move it around.
    Playing chords / notes in a different location (ie: don't play the "A" chord open...try it at the 5th fret instead...even if it's harder..) will sometimes cause me to "see" the song/notes in a way that make it much simpler for my brain/muscle memory to "just do it". A scale / chord form will just sometimes snap into place.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

don't let yourself on this forum until you can play it cold, 10 times in a row w/o a mistake.

6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A lot of good advice in the previous posts.

For me ...
    1) If I think "I'm gonna blow it" - I definitely blow it.
    2) If it's something I only have to perform once a year (not play or practice but perform), regardless of how 'easy' it may seem, I put some type of 'notes' in front of me to remind me what the heck I'm supposed to be playing.
    3) Performance is where you learn what it is you really don't know. Study appropriately.
    4) Video record yourself (playing silent night) as the first thing you play when you pick up the guitar each day. In other words, don't warm up.
    5) The recovery is more important than the mistake. Everybody makes mistakes. It's how you get out of it that separates pros from amateurs.

*Practice in your head. If you can both see and hear yourself playing the song perfectly you should be able to get through it with guitar in hand. You can't fake this though. Really, really be able to see, hear and even feel your guitar and the music in your head. Most athletes do this - 'see' the win.

7. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

How about not playing single lines and simply play the chords and do some embellishments, pull offs slides, r&b/bluesy stylings-that way you wont get lost . Silent Night lends itself to this approach, due to it's dom 7th chords,so it can be treated as a blues tune almost.

8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

... but now I'm too distracted ...

I have a similar problem to forgetting when I play in public. But as already stated, make everything as accurate as possible to the environment: e.g. volume, playing position, supporting musicians?

There are a lot of distractions that can pull me out of remembering what I am doing. I practice this by allowing my 3 kids to wrestle/rough house and otherwise do things that would get a stern rebuke if I wasn't playing. I practice through the distraction...

... or maybe I'm just being a negligent dad by ignoring them...? nah...

9. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Put me in the "use a chart on a music stand" crowd. For a couple years I gigged with a swing band, and we always had music stands in front of us. I wasn't accustomed to playing off a chart, but music stands are part of the look for a swing band, so it was going to be there whether or not I read the chart. Once I got practiced at it, I never lost my place again.

I've since lost that real-time sight-reading skill through long disuse but would like to get it back.

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Maybe try immersion as a practice strategy.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

How bout some slide?

klasaine likes this.
  12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think I am going to write it out in tab and put it on the music stand.

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

how exactly would I do that, Larry?

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

For a defined period of time, say three days, listen to nothing but Silent Night. Any version. During that period, play your solo part over and over and over. Try to let as little time as possible elapse between playings. For example:

10:00 Solo
    10:30 Something else
    10:45 Solo
    11:00 Something else
    11:15 Solo
    11:30 Something else
    1:00 Solo
    1:30 Something else
    2:00 Solo
    2:30 Something else
    2:45 Solo
    3:00 Something else
    3:15 Solo
    3:30 Something else
    3:45 Solo
    4:00 Something else
    6:00 Solo
    6:15 Something else
    7:00 Solo
    7:15 Something else
    8:00 Solo
    8:15 Something else

By "something else," I mean practicing something different, working, raising kids, meals, etc. If you sing, you can walk around singing the tune, anytime, anywhere. Maybe read up a little on Hans Gruber.

klasaine likes this.
  15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

LOL.. I could have wrote the OPs post. There's something about that song that makes it hard for me to memorize. The version I learned was a fingerpicking version that switches up the chord voicings as it goes, playing the melody over different voicings, etc..

I think with Holiday stuff we don't want to play it most of the year and that doesn't help with the whole memorization thing.

I think I forgot it but my favorite Xmas song I learned was Jim Campilongo's Jingle Bells.. that one was so cool I wanted to practice it all the time and had to force myself to stop after the holidays. I'll have to relearn that one this year for sure, but I should take another crack at memorizing Silent Night.

I get so sick of hearing holiday music earlier and earlier and for longer and longer every year, it doesn't help. The Mariah Carey Holiday song drives me up the wall. They even made a cartoon movie of it a few years ago. My kid watched it. Mariah plays one of the kids in the movie and she breaks into that song over and over.. must be 10x you hear it through the movie.

16. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Just break out into your best Eddie Van Halen lead whenever you can't remember the song. That always works ;)

17. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is a great technique!
    Also, have somebody throw crumpled up wads of paper at you while you're playing through it. Seriously. If you can nail it through distractions ...

Larry F likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.