I Screwed Up My Road Worn Finish, Help!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Digiplay, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Guys,

I truly appreciate the way ALL of you have tried helping me, and for those of you joking, what I did was in fact "Stupidly" funny, but I know that you really meant no harm with the jokes :)

Just to clear up any confusion, what I tried with the shoe polish wasn't something that came to me in a dream, the idea came directly from the TDPRI.com site, and the following Forum url:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/50s-road-worn-tele-club.142597/page-38

If you look at my attached Photos, you'll see why I tried shoe polish in the first place.

When TeleTuscon said "after all, shoe polish removal from nitro finishes has been a very common and longstanding problem for the TDPRI community.", I'm glad to be part of the Telecaster Investigative Team to resolve the common and longstanding problem of the Misuse Of Shoe Polish Epidemic that is harming the Telecaster Community :)

Attached Files:

Luthi3rz, preactor, rich815 and 3 others like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like the slight leftovers achieved what you set out to do. Glad it worked out for you.

CHarg likes this.
  3. Udonitron

Udonitron TDPRI Member

Nothing is gonna get that out other than a refinish, unfortunately.
    You cannot highlight grain through a finish unless it is an oil finish.

4. hen263

hen263 TDPRI Member

A lot of people are suggesting naptha - i think that might be a mistake. Perhaps a dilute mix of water to naptha 1:3, but maybe try to wet sand it using 1,500 and higher grit paper? Just a guess.

5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

So the shoe polish actually checked the nitro finish? I like the result if that is what happened.

Gunny and rangercaster like this.
  6. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Naptha will not harm nitro but I guess it won't harm polished shoes either.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    theprofessor likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Just to be clear, are you talking about shoe polish (the wax that comes in tins) or shoe dye (the liquid stuff that comes with the foam applicator tip)?

The shoe wax (the tinned stuff) is largely naphtha already. Naptha will cut wax. If it isn't working, use more, and use it for longer. Don't be shy with it. Use copious amounts. It is the best solution IMO.

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Don't let these fellas relic your guitar in future
    dirtyprotest.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. RevCD

RevCD TDPRI Member

There must be fullercaste under the nitro. Refinish.

10. ducati900

ducati900 TDPRI Member

Hi there, I am into gun restorations the furniture parts (the wood bits etc ) and a way to remove excess oils etc that have leached into the stocks of the gun (wood that is) is to use a hair dryer or similar, the heat makes the oil rise to the surface and you wipe it off, it's a slow process but this may help you.Patience and time try a low heat setting at first it's one of those suck and see things.
    good luck.;)

Piggy Stu likes this.
  11. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

You achieved a period-correct look there

12. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Tele-Meister

Digiplay, it looks like your last post # 81 was April 30th. Which is the same day as your original post on this thread. The pics say Before and After. Unless I'm confused you had not gotten the guitar back from the repairing Luthier at that point. Yes/No?? So... Was he able to remove the shoe polish? What did he use or how did he say he remove it? More photos of the WHOLE front of the guitar, maybe before and certainly after would be appreciated. Hope it all came out OK for you. Thanks....

13. Trevor Taylor

Trevor Taylor TDPRI Member

Hi, not sure if this has been suggested or not here yet, But why not take it to a shoe shine joint!

14. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

While no one would want to admit it, I am wondering if a few of the respondents took advantage of the new law in Colorado that legalized hallucinogenic mushrooms. Or some such psycho affective substance.

That said, if you were going for the spider web effect, U done good.

In the past, some people would take a finished body and throw it in the freezer for a few hours....then quickly bring it out to a warm environment and off you go. Spider webbing Ad nauseam.

15. RIPROY

RIPROY TDPRI Member

Digiplay... To tone the nitro finish of Telecasters, I have used Fiebings Brown Leather Dye (alcohol based) instead of shoe polish. You wipe the dye on quickly with a cotton cloth and work it in and blend it quickly with another cloth rag soaked in naptha. Repeat until you get the desired effect. Anything left too long on nitrocellulose finish can soak into the clear coat and be the problem you experienced. If the naptha will not remove the stain, I've used 0000 steel wool (make sure your pickups are out of the guitar) to remove the stains or wet sand with 1500 grit paper. To bring back the shine, use automotive scratch remover compound with a dampened sheep's wool rotary buffer.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's impossible to screw up a Roadworn finish, crazy stuff can happen while on the road and the results of that crazy stuff will vary but it's all a part of being road worn.

Other than that for the worst cases there's very little some wet sand paper and micromesh cant fix. Brings most finishes back to shiny new condition.

17. stratcatt

stratcatt TDPRI Member

Soooo sad. Sorry mate.

18. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Poly finish FTW.

19. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi TeleRooo!

The two before and after photos were of the Forum Member's Tele (not mine) that was the genesis of my, shall we say, quest :)

Regardless, yes, he easily removed the shoe polish by wet sanding the finish with 600/800/1000 grit sandpaper, and then buffing with a buffing wheel.

Ironically, the guitar looks better/prettier than it did originally, and that's a good thing, as I wasn't happy with the way it looked (which is why I tried the shoe polish in the first place) :)

I'll post some photos as soon as I can, and thanks for your kind words!

Jerry

TeleRooo and G-52 like this.
  20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank you for your service!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.