I saw the light movie

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Jun 23, 2021.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Hank williams biopic. A lot of people found it disapointing because of tom hiddleston (wrong accent, wrong song delivery...)
    But i didn't see the 2 hours of the movie pass by. My main problem with musician biopics is that you never know how much it has been glamorized to fit the hollywood standards.

I am waiting for a GG allin biopic to see how much reality was "adapted" to please audience. ;)

The Collin Escott book was a really good read, and maybe more truthful.

Flip G, thesamhill, PeterUK and 2 others like this.
  2. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

They're making a GG Allin biopic?!?

How do they not make that NC-17?

Anyway, I have to see this one!

johnny k likes this.
  3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oops! I think I misunderstood you comment.

4. johnny k

No they are not, but i would have love to see the discrepancies

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's difficult to make a movie that is exciting and interesting about a man who basically just wasn't all that interesting. He wrote some tear jerker songs, that's for sure, and people were fascinated by his persona AFTER he was dead. The truth is, there are damned few people alive that have actual memories of him. His main personal entertainment was drinking whiskey, and hanging out in dives playing music. Believe me, there ain't a whole lot of entertainment value in that after a very short while. It's mostly interesting to the one's who are playing.

6. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

There will be NO gg allin biopic.....lol

Bellacaster and johnny k like this.
  7. johnny k

He was the hillbilly shakespeare, so i might be wrong, but he is one of the best country song writer ever. I don't know, really. I liked his biograpgy, because it is something else. Of course if was record, drink, record, sleep, and do it again, but to me there is something more about him.

JuneauMike, gmann and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Don't get me wrong, I like Hank's music, and he had that Alabama Wild Man persona going on, that half the young people in Alabama have, I'm from Alabama I know all about that, but he wasn't all that interesting outside of his writing. Not in the way Steve McQueen was, or Patrick Swayze, guys who were celebrities who went out and did wild things in real life.

johnny k and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  9. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I love Hank and I love Tom, but I can't see Tom convincingly portraying Hank. I'll still probably watch it at some point.

johnny k likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I can't help but be influenced by my old man in life. He was a guy who liked to dress up in western attire, get drunk, wear a cowboy hat and boots, and DRINK WHISKEY (just like Hank Jr.) by the gallons. It's not very entertaining when you're right there with it. Hank from all accounts was a hopeless drunk. Having lived with someone who fell under that category, even if my old man could have sang and played the guitar, he still wouldn't have been much fun to be around. I think Hank's wife came to the same conclusion.

11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I grew up with an alcoholic mom. I saw "grew up," but she was never around. She'd disappear for three to five days at a time on benders. She was a broken person but she loved me and my brother. Now that she's gone, it's the love that I remember, not the binges.

12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I saw Hank Williams perform.

At the Ryman.

When I was 2 months old.

Don't remember a thing about it.

13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

This is a great what if movie "the show he never gave"

johnny k likes this.
  14. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

There are so myths surrounding Hank Williams that it's hard to determine the facts. Apparently he was very charismatic on stage. He also lived with a level of spinal pain that would leave most of us bedridden. At least all of the later movies are a lot better than "Your Cheating Heart". What a joke that one was.

johnny k and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  15. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

^This. I watched "I saw the light" last week and enjoyed it.

johnny k likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I saw him when I was very young, at a barn dance, might have been called the Rainbow Gardens. My momma and some of her friends took me there. I was too young to have any interest, probably maybe seven, eight years old, I spent most of my time playing with the other kids out in the abandoned horse stalls out back of the place. I didn't know who Hank was, momma told me about him but I have only a vague recollection of some guys up on stage for a short while until I grew tired of it.

johnny k likes this.
  17. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

It’s weird to think that different people can be interested in different things, but it’s true. Any one of us here on this site could be the subject of an interesting film. It’s all in the storytelling.

johnny k and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was flying to & from the Middle East and the airline's IFE was showing Ken Burn's 'Country Music' documentary which I watched repeatedly (it's 9-hours & the flight 7-hours so I never finished the whole series on one flight).

On one flight I watched 'I Saw the Light' and it gave an interesting contrast between fact and fiction.

I personally loved it. I felt it was well made, well acted and didn't overdramatise Williams' short but troubled & painful life.

Whenever I see photographs of the real Hank I see a much older man than the 29 year old before he died.

An immense talent and one that I always enjoy listening to.

Telecastoff1 and johnny k like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

You kind of got a point there. Obsessed could have a show on TV, all he'd have to do to spice it up a little is call it NAKED AND OBSESSED!

johnny k and Manual Slim like this.
  20. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

No-one ever mentions Hank's acting ability, here he is recreating Claude Rains role in The Invisible Man from the 1933 film.

SAM_2370.JPG

Ok, just teasing, but it is part of a display in the Museum of Alabama in Montgomery with his Southern Jumbo and stage clothes. I always visit his grave and the Hank Wiliams museum when I visit the in-law's in Montgomery, cool little museum if you ever find yourself in town, not too far from Bailey Brothers either!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.