I saw something strange yesterday

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
https://signs-of-life.co.uk/About
The story attached to this Artwork my mate done in Auld Reekie warms my heart.
But I know what you mean about the old homeless guys, I've no idea where they've gone.
I knew of one old fella I'd see on Calton Hill anytime I was visiting my sister (I think he 'lived' in the bushes) but that was about a decade ago. My sister lived nearby and would take food to him. We knew he was in genuine need but it's very difficult to discern these days.
Interesting site.

The guy you may be referring to would be Beaverman? Guy with a beard and a long, matted Rasta hairdo? This guy wasn't particularly old, though. And he's not to be confused with the other Rastaman, Arthur, the quiet giant who stood over the heat exchangers outside John Lewis. I never saw either of these men tap money, though I know they were both well looked after by passing public who had come to know them. Rastaman had a breakdown in the early '80s when a relationship collapsed and he found himself on the streets.

There was also 'Shamblin' Man' and a little old guy who ran about with a lumberjack jacket and a stetson, and two dummy pistols which he'd point at folk and go 'Psheew, psheew'!!

Here's a link you might like. Glasgow and Aaeberdeeen are featured, too.

Last edited:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
e ruse.

The gas scam has been going on country wide for many years. With all the car jackings, I am WAY warier about people approaching me at the pumps. Watch yourself.
That's one thing we don't have to worry about out here in the Great Unpaved West ... yet.
I'm sure at some point some of the urban scam artist will get the bright idea that we rubes are an easy mark.
I leave the door to my truck open when I fill up. My SIG 9mm is under a sweatshirt in the back seat within easy reach. So their attempted carjacking might easily turn into the OK Corral.
Like the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared."

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
When I go out shopping, I drive my old car and wear dirty clothes and an old coat that stinks from never being washed. That way, people think I'm the homeless bum that's gonna hit on 'em for money, and they stay away from me.

The last time someone came up to me at the gas station and asked for money, I said to him, "Do I look like I have money to give you? Get lost!"
It worked.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I used to give to buskers, which is a different thing, I suppose. I was staying in Amsterdam a few years back and used to walk around a particular area in the evenings going home and going out. On that route, near a tram stop, I'd see this little rasta guy, plinking away some good tunes on a guitar and I occasionally gave him a Euro or two.

One night walking through the town I saw him again at the same spot. He had two other folk with him: a man and young woman. I'd had a few beers and was listening to him play and decided to give him all the ****ters I had in my jacket pocket. They all came to around eight Euro. As I passed them in the palm of the rastaman, the girl leaned over, looked at the money, and said to me, directly, 'We're gonna need a lot more than that!' I was both gobsmacked and amused by her attitude. I just laughed and walked away. But that was the end coinage for the rasta if he had company.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Just nearly got scammed. Saw a guy apparently with two artificial legs begging outside my local shops. Luckily I noticed he had real feet.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
When a panhandler pressures me:

"I work and I pay taxes. That earns me the right to eat when and where I like. My taxes go toward programs to cover meals and other things for people like you. If I give you money, I am double-taxing myself. Have a nice day."

I am not without compassion. I also don't need to give money away to feel better about myself.
I’d rather buy you a burger than give you money. I’ve been on the streets before. I know there’s resources that many don’t think of. If you aren’t a A Hole. A lot of doughnut shops will give you doughnuts after close (some hold some and discount the next morning. But usually you can get some). 7-11 at midnight has to toss their old bread items. (Doughnuts, pre made sandwiches, stuff like that) it’s their company policy. And their CEO is actually really big about donating it verses throwing it away.

So yes. I am compassionate as I’ve been there before. I know it’s hard. But I’ve also been there before. So don’t try to play me a fool. But yea. I’d much rather you not lie to me lol. I’ll buy you a meal, or a pack of smokes, he’ll I’ll probably buy you beer if you’re honest lol.