I saw something pretty amazing at a rail road crossing today!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had ran an errand across town, and on my return, I had to cross a set of rail road tracks. I don't usually encounter any tracks since there aren't any rails around where I live. There is a track about three miles out past the edge of town, but I seldom go that way. Anyway, the flashing light came on, and the bars started coming down, and just as they crossed, and there was an arch between the two, a guy on a Harley, complete with long flowing hair, and wearing some sort of colors, roared up the middle aisle between traffic, and went dead center under the arch with very little room to spare! I don't know what the fine is, but I know that if you mistime it, and the train hits you, your RELATIVES will sort it out for you. As a disinterested onlooker it was quite fascinating. I wish I had have had the presence of mind to have used my phone to take a video of it, but it all happened so quickly it was just an afterthought.

2. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

When I was a kid, I saw the aftermath of a car that tried to run the crossbucks at a Penn Central crossing in New Jersey. It was not pretty. Train versus car or motorcycle -- the train will win every time:

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Several years ago at our local train station, my son (16 years old or so at the time) saw a man jump on the tracks to rescue another person. The other person was mentally disturbed, and sat down on the tracks for some strange reason, as an intercity train came roaring towards the station. The other person was successfully removed from the tracks; the man who helped did not make it, and was torn to shreds; his head rolled across the platform about 6 feet in front of my son. Needless to say, it was a very traumatic experience.

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

TD, it makes me wonder about people's thought processes...

"Let's see, on one hand I can beat that train...and look cool doing it!

(but I might die)...

On the other hand I'll have to wait a bit...

Hmmm, which one?...decisions, decisions..."

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Here, hold my beer n watch this!

6. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

Wonder what information they hoped to gain from running that train into the vehicle.Pretty sure this has happened enough times for them to know whats going to be the end result..

Trains are very cool though..

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

What did he do with the time he saved?

8. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

Happened here a few years ago. A guy drove around the signal arms to beat the train. He didn't. Turns out he was a retired county deputy.

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

My parents taught me well ...

Don't mess with the choo-choo train ...

You will lose every time . ..

Good advice !!!

I'm still alive ...

Fretting out and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

11. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My dad is retired from the railroad. He had to replace those signal arms all the time because people thought they could beat them.

IMadeYouReadThis and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen people do this, and my dad and I saw one guy in a car get stuck between the gates in northern CA back in the 70's (he made it past the first gate but not the second gate). The engineer ran out to the front of the locomotive and was desperately waving his arms at the guy in the car to move. That train was not slowing down, and my dad said, "That guy is going to die". Somehow, the guy in the car maneuvered back and forth making tiny turns until he was able to drive around the gate. I would have just crashed through it if it were me. On the other hand, I would not be in that situation if it were me....

Mess with a moving train, you're messing with an adversary that will never ever lose a conflict.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

This reminded me of a favorite passage in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Arthur Dent is lying down in the path of a bulldozer that's about to demolish his house, and the foreman of the crew asks Arthur if he understands just how much damage the 'dozer will incur if it runs over Arthur. He replies no.....how much? The foreman replies absolutely none!
    Trains are even bigger and tougher than a typical bulldozer......:(

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  15. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Cold steel don't give a damn about your past or future plans
    If your a boy or just a man, or promises you made
    When you step up to place your bet on love you lost or haven't yet
    If she never did forget, or why she ever stayed
    Cold steel...

IMadeYouReadThis and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Many years ago , Hopper and I drove to Maryland for a case of Pabst Bock beer . On the return trip . Hopper decided to take the access road along the Susquehanna . We got saddle bagged on the tracks in his Dutsun 610 . As I was pushing , I noticed that there was a train on the tracks and it appears to be heading our way . As it turns out , it was an 83 car freight train headed north along the river . Long story short , the car was struck with Hopper in the car . The collision picked up the car , spun it 3/4 of a turn and sat it on the access road below in the direction that we wanted to go . As difficult as it may be to believe , we ended up driving that car home . Of course , it was beyond the point of repair , but it was drivable . All of that mass hitting that small car , even at a very slow speed , had the effect of simply swatting it out of the way . Oh yeah , that beer sure tasted good on the way home . RIP Hopper .

17. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    He was able to clip his fingernails at the next red light.

18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'll bet engineers see this crap many times a day.

I was missed by inches once. Totally distracted, crossing a gateless and notorious intersection. I never saw the crossing lights, the train's headlight, horn, etc. Crossed and felt the car rock...looked up to see nothing but train wheels in my rear-view mirror. :eek:

Stop, look and listen!

19. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

They say you can't fix stupid, but in this case it could fix itself.

20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

My uncle and my brother were both railroad. They could tell you stories that would just make you shake your head in wonder.

“Death is something that happens to other people,” seems to be a fairly common belief.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.