I saw a fancy sportscar today in Scottsdale it said the letter e backwards & B?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Jun 9, 2021 at 11:09 PM.

1. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

I was at a local car wash that just reopened under new ownership with major renovations after closing nearly a year ago. I pulled in the wash line and saw a McLaren 720S being detailed in the shop. This was a rare sighting and a stretch for someone to get a car like that detailed at a volume car wash who details cars for the local used car lots.

I asked the gal at the register who owned it and she just said "The boss" and nodded in his direction. He was a 20 something texting away and looking very much like one of "the cousins" from Breaking Bad and only in his 20's, a seriously scary dude.

Now, I have no reason to believe he was anything but a successful entrepreneur but I thought for a moment maybe something besides cars are being cleaned there if you get my drift. I had to tell myself I must be watching too much TV.

richiek65 and drlucky like this.
  2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Earn it. My dad died when I was 8. I was paying the mortgage when I was 13.

Stubee and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:49 AM
  4. 1293

I could, but you don't get rich by spending money.

Telekarster likes this.
  5. buster poser

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:50 AM
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

My most wealthy clients are probably the coolest I have ever met. They are 50ish and live like rock stars. I value myself on extreme competence at my job. No fluff. I won't be in a suit and I am extremely casual. Honestly, I dislike owning a new car. But in my biz and the herd mentality of the public, no attractive new car, no trust:cry:. SO, I met these folks and I kinda knew they would have a really nice car. It was nice. I suggested they meet me at this large church in Paradise valley,(our Beverly Hills). I pull up , park in the shade, and give them instructions where I am exactly. Up pulls a Lime Green Merci lago Lamborghini and the gull wings pop open. AS they entered my new bland white Hyundai Kia Sorrento all I could think of was my credibility going down the drain. They took to me like family and I sold my most expensive home to date. That car, man oh man. It is a flesh magnet. People walk up to it like it is Paul Mc Cartney. I grew up in Los Angles, I know that star struck look. TO hear conversations about sending a Ferrari to Hamburg for modifications. I think the shipping charge one way was $17,000.. You, are freaking nutz if you own a play car like these and can't afford the upkeep; which is as expensive as the car. In the early 70's, my favorite drive was to race up Beverly Glenn, head east on Mullholland, and back down to the valley via Laurel Canyon. If I owned a Lambo and lived in that area now, you would never know 2nd gear. Seeing a Ferrari in bumper to bumper traffic is sacrilegious. Any of these serious owners take the cross country drives in the state they are in. In fact my client rove his Lambo straight North, like 3000 miles. I was astonished how quick his trip was. And I wonder wealthy peoples mindset when they get a ticket for 122mph.What does it matter? Its like, what's time to a Hog? I'd photo copy it into a poster and invite my wealthy friends over for a big gaffa! BTW, the car I used to run through the canyons? 1969 Datsun 510;poor mans BMW!

7. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

WAIT! Is my post turning into a I grew up rich or I grew up poor thread?

8. 1293

A 510 is in my top 10.

richiek65, skunqesh and teleman1 like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ahhh like the VW VR6.

I wouldn’t call it two V’s but maybe Bugatti does?
    Each half of the V, or bank of cylinders, is staggered so the bores can be a little closer and the TDC is a few degrees off, plus the row of cylinders is a little shorter.
    That would further smooth the exhaust note, while making some REAALLY BIG cylinder heads.
    I bet forging that crankshaft costs more than most of us pay for our whole car!

Cool stuff, I love love love engine tech!

AB62568A-1073-4E39-B49E-AEDE427CAA83.jpeg 7EE01309-C429-4673-A80F-FEBA4BC6E160.jpeg

10. buster poser

Exactly like that... engine was actually developed by VW iirc.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bugatti is in the VW group, right? As are Bentley and Lamborghini.

Ronzo likes this.
  12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Logo designer was probably dyslexic, reminds me of the time the Dylsexic Theatre downtown, put on a local production of "Annie get your Nug".
    it was a disaster..

13. buster poser

Correct, and all three of those marques are the better for it. The Veyron was really vaporware until VW righted that ship and pushed it over the line as I recall. Lambo and Bentley are objectively better cars than they were prior to VAG ownership.

14. BigDaddyLH

Then there are these goofs. My house is down there somewhere in the lake shots. I take the back road there are on, but only in the summer!

buster poser and telemnemonics like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I got to look at a few Veyrons at an exotic auto dealership in Los Gatos, CA a few years ago. Beautiful car, but the engine compartment is a nightmare. Not too surprised at the oil change cost, just because their target market doesn’t care about those “tiny” issues.

buster poser likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

I remember once pulling into the Starbucks parking lot in my rusted out Camry and what was in front of me but a Porsche Carrera GT, one of my dream cars.

[​IMG]

I *SO* wanted to bump into it, just a wee bit.

Stubee, drlucky and buster poser like this.
  17. telemnemonics

Seriously?
    Wow, interesting and cool.
    I've always been a fan of VW in a sort of off to the side way, like great stuff but not quite drool worthy.
    My last two cars have been Volvo because they make a good wagon that doesn't rust and has the leather that costs too much and scares off the poor folks once it passes 200k, which is when I buy cars.
    Notably, 200k shows leather in good shape while cloth has worn out!

Kept looking at VW wagons too but they sell higher because of the scare factor that comes with old luxy cars.
    Might have to look harder at VW next time my car tells me it want to retire.
    Same with old Toyota, the durn poor folks pay stupid high for old poor people cars while ignoring old rich(ish) people cars.
    Or in Maine anyhow, an old Corolla or Tacoma that's rusted out and won't pass inspection still has buyers lined up with $2k.

Sometimes I think us poor people deserve our lot for the foolish choices we make!
    Getting rich is really not that hard, you just have to value money and be willing to live ilfe as a cog in some managers wheel.
    Or build your own business, that that IS hard!
    My stubborn refusal to be that cog doesn't look as good now as it did back a while...

Anyhow, maybe a Folkslambo next round?

18. buster poser

Just an amazing car. I've only ever seen one in the flesh, but there was a black one here recently (a few spots down from a 918), local PCA chapter had their shindig on the plaza.

Love this pic too:

upload_2021-6-10_10-32-18.png

Stubee and richiek65 like this.
  19. telemnemonics

Fireball of lightning, shook all those hills?

Obsessed likes this.
  20. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

if you really want your head to spin - listen to the back story of that little splash !

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.