1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I recorded before an after CuNiFe WRHB swap.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fidopunk, Sep 30, 2020.

1. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

The pickups in the 1st minute sound a little brighter, the ones in the 2nd minute sound more full, almost hairy.
    I think they both sound good, but I would choose the second set. Just personal preference.
    Good post

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1!!
    Not so certain that I want to shell out $$$ for the CuNiFes now. I have a Brandonwound in my 72 Custom that I am pretty happy with (1M vol & tone). I was thinking about a pair for my 62 Thinline, but 1) not available around here until late November and 2) Brandonwounds would be 1/2 the price... Hmm lots to ponder!

Mosstone likes this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

quick question- did strings get changed during the pickup swap?

I listened on my computer speakers and couldn't hear a difference. I went back and ran earbuds, and the second half sounded slightly but noticeably more full and sweeter to my ears than the first half, which did indeed sound like a typical humbucker on a clean tone.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

1M pots. They both need it.

JKjr and MilwMark like this.
  5. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Nope.

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's wonderful. I think that many people do string changes with pickup changes and then rave about how much "better" the new pickups sound, without acknowledging that there are sparkly-fresh strings vibrating through the "new-and-improved" magnetic field.

Fuelish and jvin248 like this.
  7. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I wish I knew.

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

It's time for a 335 to get those juices flowing again. The old ladies at the home love a guy with a 335.

variantboy likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for doing the test (and being careful about equivalent setups/strings/pickup heights/etc)!

+1... I'm in the camp that couldn't tell much difference A/B with both headphones and earbuds while clicking matching points on the sound clip. So that probably means the people who made the PAF-style WRHB did a better job matching the original CuNiFe style than players generally think.

Did you happen to measure the kohms of both pickups?
    The other 'measurement' to test is using a paperclip, see if you can feel any 'pull' difference between the screw poles on the old vs new pickup. That can give you an idea if the magnetic fields change much or not.

Brightness. If you have a 250k volume pot in there now, I'd get both a 500k and 1Meg volume pot that way you can try each. 1Meg may be too much ice pick. Or it may fit perfectly what you are doing. Before you put them in and after removing your 250k in the guitar, measure across the outer lugs to get the actual kohms of the pot. I use a sharpie and mark that on the sides of the case so I know what they are later. Sometimes I have a build I want brighter, sometimes darker, and I can chose what to use.

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The CuNiFe pickups are not adjusted properly and sound like they're on 250k pots.

Once you get a set of 1 meg pots in there, try setting the height of the pickups as described here. I've learned a few things about WRHBs over the years and this set-up guide is guaranteed to help.

It would be really awesome if you did another clip to compare the difference between 250k pots and 1 meg. And to demonstrate the note bloom when the pickup height is set correctly.

How to adjust a CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker for the optimum traditional tone.

NOTE: Read this entire document before you touch anything……. Then start at the beginning.

Always start with the height setting first, and then turn the CuNiFe magnets as a fine tuning adjustment once you have the pickup set at the optimum position as described below.

Following this procedure will get you much better results and prevent unnecessary adjustment stresses on a new or vintage CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker. It becomes very easy to start chasing your tail with these pickups if you’re not organized and methodical in your approach.

When you set the pickup height, start with the NECK pickup first.

1) Set all the CuNiFe screw heights even, with the round of the heads just sticking out from the cover. Then lower the exposed G, B and E string magnets flush with the cover.

2) Hold the strings down at the last fret, and adjust the neck pickup height so it sits 8/64's below the strings on the bass and treble sides. Make it level.

3) IMPORTANT: Play for a few minutes and listen to the sound. Listen for the balance, tone and attack. Do not rush this process. Let your ears grow accustomed to the sound.

DO NOT ADJUST THE CuNiFe MAGNETS YET!

4) Start to lower the pickup, just a half turn at a time, to get the bass and treble balanced.

Do not raise the pickup to adjust for weak balance.

Lower the side that is louder. It makes a difference.

As you go lower, you will start to hear some really great tones come from the pickup.

You'll find a sweet spot where the reduced magnetic string pull allows for greater sustain, yet the sound remains very articulate.

5) Stop lowering the pickup when the articulation starts to fade and bring it back up a half turn or so.

You will also notice some really nice “note bloom” from the wound strings where the sound actually swells a bit after you pluck the note. This is the ideal position for those wanting the traditional WRHB sound.

6) If you now notice that one of the strings is still a tiny bit weak, or loud, this is the time to adjust the CuNiFe magnets to get the final balanced sound.

If two or more strings do not sound balanced, re-adjust the pickup height first before attempting to balance it with the CuNiFe magnet screws.

7) Adjust the bridge pickup until the output is balanced with you neck pickup.

The bridge pickup is not nearly as fussy and will not have quite the same characteristics as the neck pickup so it's important to get the neck pickup sounding great first, and then adjust the bridge pickup to the desired balance and output level.

This procedure will yield the best results for those seeking the true traditional tone. Rock it!

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I can't hear much difference (well any) but I do like the strokes and I was actually learning how to play heart in a cage earlier today. That run down the scale is tricky to play at full speed and your definitely closer than I am.

12. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Big difference here - listening thru some decent JBL monitors. The original pickups were a bit thin. The WRHBs sounded very good to me. I wouldn't be disappointed if I ended up with that lovely sound...

13. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

dubba post - soory

14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The WRHBs in your recording sound thicker and more mellow but interestingly not too muddy to me... A bit like an alnico IV HB. But as Telenator says, they’re traditionally paired with 1 Meg pots. You end up with an HB with a twangy Fender feel and some good clarity... Which I like because I like single coils over most HBs. Too much treble for some folk but I don’t mind that because you can always cut treble with your controls. In my experience, many vintage-style Fender pickups have a sweet spot with tone and/or volume backed off a bit.

JKjr likes this.
  15. fidopunk

This was helpful. I've got them adjusted as described. I can't easily do a before and after now, but I could record with more amp dirt if anyone's interested.

16. fidopunk

I'm a little scared to try out 1M because I'm afraid they'd be too bright. I mean, this is easily undone and I do have the itch to put things the way they should have been in the old days... so I'll get some on order.

17. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Definitely interested. In your first A/B i liked the non-CuNiFe ones better.

18. fidopunk

I turned my '50s-'60s Rickenbacker head up to 5/10. In hindsight, I should've just used a master volume amp instead. But this is just natural breakup. Bridge. Middle. Middle again. Neck.

Oh and Telenator, if the pickups don't sound like the heights are still adjusted correctly, let me know.

19. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

A 1 meg tone pot turned down to about 7 is the same as a 250k pot. All the 1 meg is doing is giving you added range. Note the similarity of these plots in the upper range. I was just jamming on my Jazzmaster with its 1 meg pots a while ago, I have to keep the tone around "7" or else it's way too bright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think I read that the new tele custom with that new pickup has a 250 volume and a 1 meg tone pot? Not sure-might be worth looking into

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.