I recorded before an after CuNiFe WRHB swap.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fidopunk, Sep 30, 2020.

1. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Title says it all. I recorded my '72 RI with the stock WR pickups (which I was told were essentially PAF clones). I then swapped the pickups for the new Fender CuNiFe pickups and recorded the same parts, with the same settings, the same amp, with the same mic... you can see where I'm going with this. I simultaneously recorded mic'd up and direct. Here's the before then the after of the mic'd up portion. I hate to say this... can't tell the difference. Not a bit. Excuse any bum notes.

2. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I just flipped back and forth between the same parts. Whichever one is on the first half of your recording actually sounds a bit better. Clearer and more defined. Just a bit.

jscud, DavidP and Gevalt like this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

So glad someone has done this, so thanks. I find the cunife to have a slightly broader sound, fuller across the spectrum, where as the stock RI is a bit 'spikier' or more limited in its range.

But that difference is soooooooooooooooo subtle, and hardly noticeable to me. It's not night and day, it's morning and afternoon.

emisilly and Jim622 like this.
  4. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for doing this. One question - did you change the pots as well or just leave them as is? OK, actually two questions and question number 2 is - what is the resistance of your pots?

Piotr and johmica like this.
  5. fidopunk

Whoops. The first half is the stock. Uh oh...

emisilly likes this.
  6. fidopunk

Nope. Stock Values. I know the originals used 1M, but the wiring diagram actually indicates 500k. I didn't check but I'm sure I'm using 250k (which is what the Fender Parts Diagram indicates).

I'm considering going to the 1M as it should be but... what would there be to gain?

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks I have the reissues. I was contemplating a change for the new, but I'm not seeing it now.

8. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

I hear quite a difference. The CuNiFe sound more refined to me with more mids/low mids and a sweeter, less spiky top end compared to your original pickups. I think 500K pots would brighten up the top end nicely on the CuNiFes.

Are your original pickups pre or post 2012?

Wally and JKjr like this.
  9. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

...getting my headphones now!!

10. fidopunk

It was made in 2007, so pre-2012

63telemaster likes this.
  11. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I can’t hear a bit of difference.

Anacharsis, bodevelho and fidopunk like this.
  12. fidopunk

My wallet and I really would love to disagree with you but... we can't? So... how come we fetishized these things for decades and what Fender came out with sounds... the same? I'm not emotionally invested in this in the slightest but that doesn't mean I'm not underwhelmed either.

13. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I can't believe Fender ships humbucker guitars with 250k pots installed. Maybe that's why most Fender HBs sound mediocre to me.

14. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

i definitely hear a difference, the new WRHB sound a bit thicker and warmer, especially noticeable on the single pickup settings-both pickups together is closer. My go to reference for WRHB tones is Tab Benoit, the new pickups sound like could be in the ballpark...

Franc Robert

15. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

I hear the difference. If you click each part of the wave form that's playing the same content, first part, then second part - the comparison is a lot easier to evaluate. for example click :22 of the clip, let it play, then click 1:22 of the clip.. or click :37, listen, then click 1:39 then listen.. the difference is quite audible, if you ask me

whichever is the second pass has a much broader mid to low frequency range, and does not have the "honk" that the first part has. The high end on both the bridge pickup and "both-on" sound is clearer and more chime-like than on the first. That difference is not quite as apparent on the neck pickup content but it is there. That said, the neck pickup sound on part 2 seems to have more output, again a more pronounced mid to low mid, a more trebly/chime-like top end, and a bit of a smoother and less "boxy" sound than the part 1 bit.

I don't know if it's been revealed which one is which, but my guess is part 1 is original stock reissues, and part 2 is the CUNIFE pickups.

All that said - both performances are being executed with a very light touch, which does in fact make the distinction a little harder to identify from sound alone. CUNIFE pickups react much differently when you hit the strings a little harder than normal.

I'd add - that my experience with both these versions of the pickups is that the difference is more perceivable to the player in the room with the amp than it is to the recorded sound. It will be worth the money/hype to some, and completely not so for others.

JKjr, Wally and jscud like this.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Sorry , didn't listen to your clip
    My first real guitar was a 73 Tele Deluxe , and I wasn't that impressed . Had at least one more in the 80"s , same -same.
    I had no idea why these pickups were so sought after all these years
    I have heard others use them with great results over the years.
    Use what you want , there are great tones to be found in most pickups
    A humble eq pedal gets you a long way
    These days I only buy pu's if I'm doing a new build or the ones present are microphonic

Fuelish and Fretting out like this.
  17. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Whatever the 2nd one is, that sounds more full and compelling actually. The first is spikey and thin. The notes blend better on the 2nd one.

The question is....which one will make you famous or get you chicks? That is what is in the balance here.

drmordo, trev333 and Wally like this.
  18. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

it's strange..... but... the older and more experienced I get, the less I'm willing to pay for the pickups that do either of those things.:) don't get me wrong.. I'd pay... just less.

19. fidopunk

Wait... that actually works?

20. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

The first half is kind of plucky and spikey, if that makes any sense. The second half sounds fuller to me. I like it better. The wave forms look different to me too. But, I'm not sure how much of a difference would be noticibale at stage volume with other instruments or if it would be worth it to me at $200 for each pickup.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.