I ran over a dog and I'm devastated.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That's rough. Nothing else you could do
It may take some time, even forever to forget it, but time passing will help, at least I hope so.

Thoughts and prayers for you.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I hit a duck a few years back and felt bad about it, so I get it. If it had been a dog, I would have been even more upset because I have had a few dogs that were good friends.

In this case, it sounds like you couldn't have done anything differently, but it speaks well of you that you worry about hurting animals.

In any case, I'm sorry. That sucks.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a cat fan by any stretch of the imagination but I still swerved and broke to save 4 lives that night.
My father was a linesman who got lots of night calls. One night he had to repair damage from a car accident. A lady Doctor had died swerving trying to miss an animal. She could have gone on to save many human lives -we'll never know. Moral: don't swerve for anything unless you can guarantee NO deaths of any kind, yours included.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
It's an awful feeling. I ran over a small dog, while visiting my sister in Houston many years ago. It didn't kill the dog but it broke her leg (I think). The pup came out of nowhere and I couldn't avoid it. She was with her owner. I stopped and offered help. The owner was very kind and knew it wasn't my fault. It's a sickening feeling.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
We had our monthly gig tonight at the American Legion post in nearby Carthage, Texas.

The evening started off great: I'm off work, not on call, and well rested. Sang well and was having fun until the bandleader's PA crapped out. We re routed mics through our guitar amps, and finished the show. Made good money.

On the way home, I was talking to my lady friend on the phone hands free, when an animal came out of nowhere, at full speed, and ran under my truck behind the front left wheel I think.

It literally happened in a second or less. It was not far enough in front of me for me to swerve or brake, and I didn't even know what it was at first. It was small enough to be a raccoon or a possum, but moving way too fast and my heart sank. I was absolutely sober, watching for deer in fact, but this totally blindsided me, especially because I was passing through a business area of Marshall and not residential.
Sure enough, it was a black and tan dog, very small less than twenty pounds I'd guess, possibly a puppy.
I didn't see any signs of movement and I pray the end was quick and painless.

Those of you who know me are well aware that I'd rather take a beating AND give up the PowerBall jackpot than harm a dog.

It was as if the animal committed suicide, it ran right under my vehicle at full speed...I've never experienced anything like it.

I was starving after the gig as usual, but I have no appetite now and I can't get to sleep. I bawled like a little girl all the way home afterwards.
Sorry for the sad thread; I guess I'm in shock and just wanted to vent.

I would give almost anything if this hadn't happened.
Your being distraught about the accident and it was an accident, speaks well of your being compassionate. and caring about other sentient beings.
It's not like you were aim at the pup.
Damned thing shouldn't have been out in the street for starters though it's sad and regrettable .
Try to get some sleep have a big breakfast and a strong cup of coffee and move on, we don't need a great guy beating himself up for something that was unavoidable.
Thanks for showing up and telling the truth.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Accidents do happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

Last Thursday I was heading out to run some errands and I saw a blur on the drivers side and then a thump then a bird body bounced into my windshield (another thump) and flipped over the jeep.

Some things just can't be prevented

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
A cat ran into the road, up in rural orange county new york. I couldn't avoid it. That has bothered me for decades. I love cats, dogs, animals in general. So that is something I regret.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Your being distraught about the accident and it was an accident, speaks well of your being compassionate. and caring about other sentient beings.
It's not like you were aim at the pup.
Damned thing shouldn't have been out in the street for starters though it's sad and regrettable .
Try to get some sleep have a big breakfast and a strong cup of coffee and move on, we don't need a great guy beating himself up for something that was unavoidable.
Thanks for showing up and telling the truth.

Very kind words, and humbling to read. Thank you very much.

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
That's rough. If there was anything you could have done to avoid it, you would have. Unfortunate time and place for both of you. Sorry you had to go through this.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I know that feeling and worse, nothing you could have done to prevent it. Growing up in the country, I used to get kittens sleeping in the engine bay to stay warm in the winter. I would start the car and they would end up in the fan blades. I had a pet cat as a little child and I like animals more than people so those events were horrible.

I hope that dog was just a stray and not tagged. The only time I ever struck a dog was while driving in a thick fog back in the late '70's. It was in a VW Bug so you know how horrible those headlights were and how slow I was driving on the highway at the time. I never saw the dogs until they were no more than 3 feet in front of me as they were running across the highway chasing something. I ran over two dogs, not one, but two and they both had collars. It was terrible having to take them home to their owners and explain what happened, but we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
So sad about that. Nothing you could do though, no blame attaches. Knowing that doesn't mitigate our feelings though.

Decades ago when I drove a truck, a little boy's puppy jumped out under my wheels. I ran over the poor thing right in front of the kid. It was all over in a second and the pup died instantly. The boy's mom reassured me I couldn't possibly have avoided it. Still, I think I was almost as heartbroken as the kid was.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
We had our monthly gig tonight at the American Legion post in nearby Carthage, Texas.

The evening started off great: I'm off work, not on call, and well rested. Sang well and was having fun until the bandleader's PA crapped out. We re routed mics through our guitar amps, and finished the show. Made good money.

On the way home, I was talking to my lady friend on the phone hands free, when an animal came out of nowhere, at full speed, and ran under my truck behind the front left wheel I think.

It literally happened in a second or less. It was not far enough in front of me for me to swerve or brake, and I didn't even know what it was at first. It was small enough to be a raccoon or a possum, but moving way too fast and my heart sank. I was absolutely sober, watching for deer in fact, but this totally blindsided me, especially because I was passing through a business area of Marshall and not residential.
Sure enough, it was a black and tan dog, very small less than twenty pounds I'd guess, possibly a puppy.
I didn't see any signs of movement and I pray the end was quick and painless.

Those of you who know me are well aware that I'd rather take a beating AND give up the PowerBall jackpot than harm a dog.

It was as if the animal committed suicide, it ran right under my vehicle at full speed...I've never experienced anything like it.

I was starving after the gig as usual, but I have no appetite now and I can't get to sleep. I bawled like a little girl all the way home afterwards.
Sorry for the sad thread; I guess I'm in shock and just wanted to vent.

I would give almost anything if this hadn't happened.
Yeah, that sucks. I hit a raccoon once, like 20 years ago and it was a miserable experience. My buddies who were in the car we’re trying to get me to hit it again because it was apparently still alive. Couldn’t do it. It died before I got the nerve. That haunted me for a while.

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
I had been seeing this cute kitten around the neighborhood, and I even tried to get it to come over to me and my son while we were walking one day. Just seemed a bit frightened and on its own. I was driving this morning and saw a road kill that was too large to be a squirrel. Couldn't make it out, but on the return drive, the only non-flattened part of it was it's cute little kitten face. Felt so bad for it, seems like it's first year of life and on its own.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thanks everyone.
A night's sleep and some unconditional love from my two dogs helped a little...but this left a mark.

So sorry; it’s rough. I’ve not hit anything except a bird, once, that flew under my truck and exited the rear fenders in a puffball of feathers. Still pains to re-image that.

Maybe worse was rush hour in Austin, bumper to bumper at 65mph, outside lane. A car ahead on the inside lane hit a dog and I could only watch as it did a a slow pinwheel on its side to the shoulder. There’s was no way to stop. That was over 15 years ago.

Keep your dogs close & safe.