I ran over a dog and I'm devastated.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Deepest sympathies. I'm so sorry that it happened but it sounds like there's absolutely zero you could have done about it. It's just damn bad luck-period. Hope you can just let your sadness run it's course then let it go.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
It sounds like you couldn’t have done anything different. I’ve had a few close calls in my neighborhood at night. The older I get the worse my night vision is. Can’t blame yourself for an accident. Hope you feel better.

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
I've killed 4 cats over the years...each time it was going to a gig or band practice, and each time there was no time to react when they dashed in front.
It's upsetting.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
In first grade, my best friend from down the street called in a panic, saying that his dog, Blackie, had just been run over by a school bus. I ran as fast as I could to console my friend. It was just catastrophic.

I knew right away that I would need to support my friend in his grief. We didn't know how to process it, and the next day we were back to our usual neighborhood antics after school. It was our way of dealing with this. We were too young to be traumatized by this, and recognized that this was one of those things that happen in life. Blackie's number was up, and that was that.

My dad was the neighborhood go-to guy for problems like this, so he came and put the remains in the trunk, and drove out into the desert to bury poor Blackie.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
We have friends down the street, the wife accidentally ran over a friend's dog and the husband accidentally backed over his own dog. All I can say is, dang.....

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
Condolences, that sucks.

I recently had the opposite experience, was driving deep in the hills out in Appalachia down a 1 lane gravel road. We're coming up past some small homes then, boom, two pitbull looking things running at the slow moving car full speed. I just barely outgunned those suckers, they looked ready to eat the car itself.

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
That's a terrible experience and it's very easy for me to understand your emotions completely. When I was in highschool I was delivering pizzas and had a little dog run out from a yard and he nailed my front passenger wheel, ricocheted off the hub cap which changed his trajectory right back into the yard he came from completely unharmed. I was very relieved it went down that way. I wish something similar had happened to you but it was an unfortunate accident and you could not avoid it. Be good to yourself while you're grieving.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We had our monthly gig tonight at the American Legion post in nearby Carthage, Texas.

The evening started off great: I'm off work, not on call, and well rested. Sang well and was having fun until the bandleader's PA crapped out. We re routed mics through our guitar amps, and finished the show. Made good money.

On the way home, I was talking to my lady friend on the phone hands free, when an animal came out of nowhere, at full speed, and ran under my truck behind the front left wheel I think.

It literally happened in a second or less. It was not far enough in front of me for me to swerve or brake, and I didn't even know what it was at first. It was small enough to be a raccoon or a possum, but moving way too fast and my heart sank. I was absolutely sober, watching for deer in fact, but this totally blindsided me, especially because I was passing through a business area of Marshall and not residential.
Sure enough, it was a black and tan dog, very small less than twenty pounds I'd guess, possibly a puppy.
I didn't see any signs of movement and I pray the end was quick and painless.

Those of you who know me are well aware that I'd rather take a beating AND give up the PowerBall jackpot than harm a dog.

It was as if the animal committed suicide, it ran right under my vehicle at full speed...I've never experienced anything like it.

I was starving after the gig as usual, but I have no appetite now and I can't get to sleep. I bawled like a little girl all the way home afterwards.
Sorry for the sad thread; I guess I'm in shock and just wanted to vent.

I would give almost anything if this hadn't happened.
I know exactly how you feel. It has been my misfortune to have run over a number of dogs in my lifetime, and it's been devastating every time.

Once a woman ran across a busy highway out by Lost Hills Ca and her little dog chased her. I was already breaking for the woman, but the dog went right under my pickup. The woman was devastated. I picked the dog up and took it and buried it out away from the little town.

Another time, a little dog ran across the road in the darkness, and I hit it, just like you, I had no time to react. I went yard to yard looking to find the dog but couldn't. I knocked on a few doors, and a woman came to the door, and said her dog ran into the house and died. I explained what had happened. At first, she was mad at me, but before I left she cooled down and said she was glad I reported it, or she wouldn't have known what happened.

The worst though was when I was driving a low bed. I came through Buttonwillow Ca one morning hauling a D-7 cat dozer on my lowbed, which had sixteen wheels in back, and only abut sixteen inches of clearance under the trailer. Just as I rounded a slight curve exiting the town, a pack of German Shepherds ran across the road in front of me, they were after a female in heat! The female got away, but I ran over SEVEN of the males

A local county sheriff's deputy pulled in behind me and said that he knew the woman the dogs belonged to and had seen the whole thing, and there was nothing I could have done. He had talked to the lady who owned a small kennel and she had asked him to keep an eye out for them since they had managed to escape their kennel. You simply cannot imagine the carnage of them going under that rig and being hit by all those wheels. The deputy said he'd get the Kern County animal control out there to clean it up, for me to go on about my business.

I hope you settle down, as I said, I can relate completely with what you are going through. Some things just happen.

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
We had our monthly gig tonight at the American Legion post in nearby Carthage, Texas.

The evening started off great: I'm off work, not on call, and well rested. Sang well and was having fun until the bandleader's PA crapped out. We re routed mics through our guitar amps, and finished the show. Made good money.

On the way home, I was talking to my lady friend on the phone hands free, when an animal came out of nowhere, at full speed, and ran under my truck behind the front left wheel I think.

It literally happened in a second or less. It was not far enough in front of me for me to swerve or brake, and I didn't even know what it was at first. It was small enough to be a raccoon or a possum, but moving way too fast and my heart sank. I was absolutely sober, watching for deer in fact, but this totally blindsided me, especially because I was passing through a business area of Marshall and not residential.
Sure enough, it was a black and tan dog, very small less than twenty pounds I'd guess, possibly a puppy.

Those of you who know me are well aware that I'd rather take a beating AND give up the PowerBall jackpot than harm a dog.

It was as if the animal committed suicide, it ran right under my vehicle at full speed...I've never experienced anything like it.

I was starving after the gig as usual, but I have no appetite now and I can't get to sleep. I bawled like a little girl all the way home afterwards.

D*mn, I really sorry to hear that. I would have reacted in almost the exact same way. Dogs are better than most people, and I don't know how anyone couldn't be affected by having that happen to them. Unless they are a sociopath or something.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted

I’m very sorry this happened to you. I had the same exact thing happen to me on my way home from work about ten years ago.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I would say your being upset is giving blessing to the animal you accidentally killed. May it be blessed as it moves on.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I read somewhere that if you prepare for something and can think it through, you can endure almost anything. It is the things that surprise and shock us that shake our souls and break hearts.

there really is no way to prepare for what happened to you. I'm just so sorry for you and the pup.

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I went to a New Year's Eve party a few years back. It was a 2km drive to the house. In that 2kms I had to swerve or brake to miss not 1, not 2 but FOUR cats that ran out in front of me. Not all at once but individually along different parts of the road. It was like they had a pact or something it was so weird and random.