I ran over a dog and I'm devastated.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
We had our monthly gig tonight at the American Legion post in nearby Carthage, Texas.

The evening started off great: I'm off work, not on call, and well rested. Sang well and was having fun until the bandleader's PA crapped out. We re routed mics through our guitar amps, and finished the show. Made good money.

On the way home, I was talking to my lady friend on the phone hands free, when an animal came out of nowhere, at full speed, and ran under my truck behind the front left wheel I think.

It literally happened in a second or less. It was not far enough in front of me for me to swerve or brake, and I didn't even know what it was at first. It was small enough to be a raccoon or a possum, but moving way too fast and my heart sank. I was absolutely sober, watching for deer in fact, but this totally blindsided me, especially because I was passing through a business area of Marshall and not residential.
Sure enough, it was a black and tan dog, very small less than twenty pounds I'd guess, possibly a puppy.
I didn't see any signs of movement and I pray the end was quick and painless.

Those of you who know me are well aware that I'd rather take a beating AND give up the PowerBall jackpot than harm a dog.

It was as if the animal committed suicide, it ran right under my vehicle at full speed...I've never experienced anything like it.

I was starving after the gig as usual, but I have no appetite now and I can't get to sleep. I bawled like a little girl all the way home afterwards.
Sorry for the sad thread; I guess I'm in shock and just wanted to vent.

I would give almost anything if this hadn't happened.

Last edited:

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
We had our monthly gig tonight at the American Legion post in nearby Carthage, Texas.

The evening started off great: I'm off work, not on call, and well rested. Sang well and was having fun until the bandleader's PA crapped out. We re routed mics through our guitar amps, and finished the show. Made good money.

On the way home, I was talking to my lady friend on the phone hands free, when an animal came out of nowhere, at full speed, and ran under my truck behind the front left wheel I think.

It literally happened in a second or less. It was not far enough in front of me for me to swerve or brake, and I didn't even know what it was at first. It was small enough to be a raccoon or a possum, but moving way too fast and my heart sank. I was absolutely sober, watching for deer in fact, but this totally blindsided me, especially because I was passing through a business area of Marshall and not residential.
Sure enough, it was a black and tan dog, very small less than twenty pounds I'd guess, possibly a puppy.
I didn't see any signs of movement and I pray the end was quick and painless.

Those of you who know me are well aware that I'd rather take a beating AND give up the PowerBall jackpot than harm a dog.

It was as if the animal committed suicide, it ran right under my vehicle at full speed...I've never experienced anything like it.

I was starving after the gig as usual, but I have no appetite now and I can't get to sleep. I bawled like a little girl all the way home afterwards.
Sorry for the sad thread; I guess I'm in shock and just wanted to vent.

I would give almost anything if this hadn't happened.
Aw man, that’s hard.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
That is something that i don't want to witness or happen to me. I would be shoked for a few days i guess. Cat, dog, or any kind of animal.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
It sucks.

I ran over a dog in a 740 Volvo estate, a long time ago. It was dark and raining, middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, I was sober - it appeared from nowhere out of the rain from the side, I only just caught a glimpse a split-second before it went up under the wheel arch. I didn't even have a chance to hit the brakes.

Pulled up and ran back just in time to see it take it's last breath. I don't think it suffered much.

I felt absolutely devastated. Still makes me sad to think of it now.

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
So sorry for your traumatic experience. I had such accidents with cats and hares - it's sad but there's literally nothing you can do to prevent it. It helps to think that, right after the sudden end of their earthly existence, they cross the famous Rainbow Bridge and get to the beautiful place of eternal play and happiness. That's what keeps me going whenever I have to say goodbye to my own cats and dogs when their time comes. I do not believe in heaven for humans that much, but I strongly believe all the animals have their heaven and get there right after they leave this planet.

When to of my beloved cats passed away not far one from another, I wrote a very sad, bluesy piece and recorded it to commemorate the blessing I was offered to spend time with them. I cannot listen to this at all cos it makes me too soft and weak but I'm glad I did it. It was not your dog but I'd suggest you pick up a Tele and do some extensive playing to transform the emotions into the notes. It helps, it does.

Take care!

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
That sucks, but sounds like nothing you could have done about it.

It happened to a friend of mine when we were teenagers and I was in the back seat. The dog came out between 2 parked cars on the passenger side and under the rear wheel.

All of us in the car had family dogs. It was the most quiet ride home I’ve had to this day. In an instant we went from invincible teens to children who couldn’t wait to get home to hug our dogs.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Sorry to hear that, it is an awful thing to have happen.Sometimes there is nothing we can do about it.

I hit a large dog on a rainy morning once. The dog was hidden by a car that was at the end of a driveway, it darted across the road last minute. Too make things worse it was the owners car with his the kids. They were waiting for the school bus~

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Been there and was gutted.
Dark night, back side of a residential area, never saw the dog laying in the street.

Family pet, owner came out and picked the dying animal up.
I could see the family pain as well. But they had the poise to tell me it "wasn't my fault, the dog insisted in laying in the street all the time and it was probably just a matter of time..."
But I hated that it was me...

I have seen it happen a few times. Dogs chasing cars, nipping at tires, getting caught up... but that is different.

It may hurt for a while, and it's something you may not forget, but at least for me- I came to accept it for what it was. An accident.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
That would bother me, too. I’ve hit a couple of deer, a flying wild turkey and a few other critters but never a dog or cat. I’d feel bad, too.

The worst for me happened last early summer driving to the lake area general store. A small whitetail fawn appeared suddenly and ran right under my truck, pretty much as you described. I had no chance to avoid it though I tried and felt a small “thud”. I looked but couldn’t find it but know by the buzzards that showed up later that I’d killed it. A bad feeling for sure.

rghill

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Actually had a dog run into the side of my car once. Craziest thing. It was a beautiful golden retriever. Fortunately she was mostly banged up, but put a decent dent in the side of my Corolla. We found her owners and made sure she was OK.

I can still vividly remember that event and it was over 30 years ago. Heck, I feel bad if I see a snake in the road, let alone a dog.