I ran out of batteries for the remote for my stereo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by radiocaster, Jun 30, 2019.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's about 20 years old. I had no problem just walking up to it to set the basic functions.

However, the 5 or so radio stations I have memorized were not accessible via the console controls. So I had to buy some batteries for the remote.

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Unfortunately, no memory nor remote control were available with these...:(;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes : no appli, no software to download or update, etc... :D

-tbln

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Slip Kid, fnkmstr, Torren61 and 10 others like this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

"I bought some batteries once, but they weren't included. So I had to buy them again... "
    Stephen Wright

4. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

???? aaaahm...yes?

5. radiocaster

Nothing really. Since it was about 20 years old, I wanted to see if people on here with newer gear can use their stereo without connecting it to a phone or computer.

nojazzhere and tubelectron like this.
  6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

My wife is always amazed that us guys try to solve it by pushing harder on the knobs , LOL.....

nojazzhere and scrapyardblue like this.
  7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So you ran out of batteries and ran out to buy some batteries.
    yep, makes sense.

nojazzhere and radiocaster like this.
  8. radiocaster

Nah, I waited several days. The program I wanted to listen to on the other radio station didn't come on except a couple of days later, every Saturday.

Alamo likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Currently my stereo is my phone connected via “Airplay” to an Apple TV module playing through my studio monitors... 1 North Korean EMP and we wont know how to breath...

scrapyardblue likes this.
  10. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can't really explain why, but I manage to get a couple of extra days out of batteries by rubbing them on my shirt. This is particularly for the AAA batteries in my PC keyboard, but I have also done it successfully in a digital camera.

11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My sista is a transista.

tubelectron likes this.
  12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

damn,that looks absolutely great...I want one,too! Must be heavy...I had an old Kennwood Receiver from 1969 and it weighed 15kg (33lbs)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't even used my stereo system for three or four months, when I needed to learn a bunch of bass parts for a LOT of old Beatles songs. It was easier to use CD's than youtube. BTW.....if anyone cares, an inexpensive Chinese made Hofner Club Bass NAILS McCartney's sound, and many of his lines are so much easier to play on that slim, short scale neck.

Slip Kid likes this.
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

The fact that you used the word "stereo" said a lot...

15. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

That probably won't help. Stuff that old used a small battery to back up the memories. They last a decade or two before going kaput. I have three pieces of equipment on the shelf right now that all need me to get in there with the soldering iron and install new ones.

With things that don't draw a lot of current, more often than not the contact between the battery and the device oxidizes just enough to create resistance that prevents current flow. Anything that breaks that up will be enough to make them work again.

Story: In the 1980s, I worked for a company that built the boxes you see installed at the side of the road to count passing cars for traffic studies. These things ran on four D cells and drew minuscule amounts of current -- on the order of a few microamperes -- while they weren't doing anything. Because the recorders were out in the weather, we shipped them with expensive Kodak lithium batteries that could tolerate temperature extremes and keep working. Getting a heavily-used recorder back a couple of years later with the same batteries we'd installed at the factory wasn't unusual. At one point, we started getting units back that lost their minds and stopped counting for no apparent reason. After a very long investigation of almost everything else, someone noticed that Kodak had changed the contacts on the battery from gold, which doesn't oxidize easily, to something else that did. That was enough for the batteries to stop working until the contacts were cleaned, and that became part of the prep procedure we gave our customers.

nojazzhere and Paul in Colorado like this.
  16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

It could be the title and the lyrics of a Rock'n'Roll tune :cool::cool::cool:

Yes, thanks ! These were built in an era where Hi-Fi was in a "State-Of-The-Art"... The 2250B weights 12.5kg, that's true.

I also wanted a Kenwood Receiver too (excellent brand, indeed :cool:) but none of the one I found were interesting or enoughly preserved... :(

But I could snag a Sony STR-6055 in pristine condition - just in need of tad of service :

[​IMG]

One day, I'll find a nice tube receiver too... Maybe...

-tbln

nojazzhere, Torren61 and schmee like this.
  17. radiocaster

I know about changing batteries in drum machines, but the one in the stereo loses content if you unplug it for a minute, and it's been like that since a bought it new. It's not the same kind of memory.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Sold my last Marantz 2 years ago. Such great sounding stuff! Sold my 1975 JBL L166 Horizon speakers to a collector at the same time. I mostly listen with headphones or in the car now.
    If someone could build SS guitar amps that sounded as good as those Marantz did they'd have a winner. I often wondered what made them so great. My theory is the huge output transistors and the big transformers. Thus HEAVY, so no weight saving over tube amps!

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

maybe buy two batteries.

kelnet and Torren61 like this.
  20. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

She's My Transister Sister

Great tunes, great hair

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.