I ran a red light, hit someone - until I didn’t - but they almost got my father-in-law for $8100

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You could send Steven Seagal after them.

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

People like this need there asses kicked! Scamming elderly people out of there meager life savings is as low as it gets:mad:.

nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an idea. Deposit the money, send me half and have fun with the other half. It is my idea, so I should get half.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

I get lots of emails saying some company has had trouble processing my payment and unless it is paid it will be cut off so click on this link to amend your details. They are getting very realistic but I often note the grammar is suspect or spelling mistakes let them down so you can see how people are caught.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya warn 'em, but if they're in their 90s; can we blame them if they're so shaken by being confronted by the "crisis" that they're almost about to make a mistake?

We've freed up a lot of space in prisons, as of late. Maybe we need to enhance the sentence, when the victim of a fraud is over 80 years of age or has been retired for whatever reason for more than 20 years?

My parents would do just about anything to help one of their kids or their grand-kids. Anything.

rodger and nojazzhere like this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I hear ya. So when these stories started popping up, I had a talk with them, and instructed them that not me, my sister, or my kids would ever be contacting them asking for money, in any circumstances, and if they heard from us in that manner, it would be fraudulent

7. boris bubbanov

I was bragging to you all, the other day, of what a great deal on a new architectural sealtab roof my parents got through a contractor selected through Home Depot, based over in Bakersfield to the east of them (where prices are quite reasonable).

But I may not have mentioned the replacement sliding exterior door they got from an outfit closer to the Gold Plated Pacific Ocean. Sure it was a legitimate company. Sure the work was done and it didn't actually stink. But this company charged an extraordinarily large amount of money for the work. The kind of price you might charge Michael Jackson I would say.

I wonder if I could get the D.A. interested in this. Because at the end of the day, is this really different than collecting money for nothing?

8. boris bubbanov

Sure. I have it worked out with my siblings, my nephews and niece and their significant others, to contact me or my brother if they ever need some money - to reinforce to my parents that everyone is provided for and my parents can "retire" from the business of covering any of the youngster's shortfalls and etc.

But this reminds me of my law practice. I tell the client "A" fifty times, 100 times. Then the 101st time they misunderstand what you say and hear "B" when "B" was never uttered and "B" is all they hear. Selective hearing. People are prone to it. So we've gone the other way and Mom and Dad pay all their sundry bills; keep their own checkbooks and my hope is, doing the "numbers" stuff will keep them honed as to all things money. The younger generation is NOT taking away their decision making but keeping it part of their day to day thing. All in all I think it is working pretty well.

Stubee likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I heard of a similar thing happening to the father of someone I know. He got a call saying that his grandson was sitting in jail in New Mexico for smashing into a cop car while high. He reportedly got confused by the overload of bad information and blurted out, "Which grandson? Michael?" Yeah, they said, Michael. He sent them money before consulting anyone.

The thing is, from what I'm told, Michael is a sweet, charming kid who just graduated college. But the idea of him being across the country, stoned, and accidentally hitting a cop car is not beyond the realm of possibilities. So the grandfather believed it.

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Boy, this is going to be me. I've already tried to keep my gifts hidden from my wife. I give a little money to former students, composer ensembles, blues musicians, and to people who seem to be in a spot. I don't think I give anyone anything that I don't know personally.

Hopefully, my training as a telephone solicitee of 50+ years has attuned me to scam talk.

Harry Styron likes this.
  11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That’s a despicable thing to do to anybody but despicable people have been doing despicable things to the vulnerable forever. I hate it but know they won’t stop.

I think one of your first thoughts was prescient: would my father have done this five years ago? For my own father who’d been an accomplished, brave, fun loving and brilliant man for 81 years it happened when he was 82. He started missing payments, sending money to everybody who “pleaded”, and finally started messing up his blood sugar regimen. That was the game changer. He remained the same good man except for decision making, which is often precipitated by short term memory loss. Sometimes the decision making starts to break down a bit, and we never know when. My 94 year old FIL ain’t what he used to be but has been spared those indignities compared to my Dad.

In any case I’d consider that a sign to keep a close eye on things to avoid parents being taken advantage of by the endless creeps that try. It took a number of lunches & Martinis with my Dad but I was able to start helping out while help still made a difference.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

One of the things some families have when members get together, is this contest to see who can pull their wallet out fastest and cover the dinner bill.

I love this new thing my sister in law cooked up, where she pre-arranges the payment of the dinner off site and the moment when the bill arrives just never happens. When there's a hotel bill the matter is settled by her with a few keystokes on the phone and you break away from the whole old deal where family members are throwing money on the table or desk and all that. I remember fondly the past when family members compete for the privilege of paying for things but IMO it encourages sloppiness on the part of the oldest members of the clan. I try to take 'em shopping at some retail place and do the Scots Tightwad thing and I think it can be contagious. Have the contest be about who can get the retail stuff for way less. When my Dad says "Hey, we have money" I give him a dirty look. The generosity comes in the form of my repainting all the soffit and fascia, pruning the fruit trees, changing the water pump on their car, washing their cars when the State of California will let me. But not with Benjamins and Jacksons and credit cards flying around. My sense is this may be helping them past the urge to fling money around. Make the experience be about something besides money and who paid for what.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My Dad was born in ‘38. Tail end of Great Depression going into WWII where everything was rationed to support the war effort. He was incredibly tight with money as a result, normally, but also ridiculously generous to people in need, especially relatives. He died at age 59 but he would likely not have fallen for scams because he was too busy giving all his money to people he met and knew face to face.

14. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Dad grew up playing cards. My gran (a non-conformist lay preacher) often had to go out to win the rent when times were tough. Right up until the point when Dad went into the hospital for the last time, he played cards (Solo) two or three times a week. He never lost. He still told wonderful tales about the old days. He did the crossword and soduku in the paper every day, then read it from cover to cover, he seemed sharp but all was not well.

I think that the event which convinced me to obtain power of attorney was the following phone conversation between my wife and dad;

Wife - Hello Ken how are you today?
    Dad - I'm sorry you can't speak to Ian, he's not here.
    Wife - I know he's not with you, he's here working in the garden.
    Dad - No, he's in Scotland, fighting the Germans. I hope he's going to be alright. I haven't heard from him for a few days.
    Wife - I'll get him
    Me - Hello Dad, what's this about Scotland
    Dad - are you Ok, did you get wounded, when will you be home, your mum has been worried.

Mum had been dead for 5 years, ten minutes on the phone failed to persuade him that I was not in Scotland, had never been in the air force or fighting Germans. A three hour drive that evening to his home, after which he denied all knowledge of the conversation.

My own memory is not what it was. My uncle had alzheimers for the last eight years of his life, and dad was going that way. I don't want that.

My wife is from a large Irish family, her background makes my hard working class upbringing look positively luxurious, but most of them have done alright for themselves. When we go out with any of her sisters it is competitive. On a number of occassions I have had to repair clothes which have been damaged whilst fighting to stuff money into my wife's pockets. I once found 200 euro in a pocket when a blouse came out of the washing machine! We Yorkshiremen have an unfair reputation for being mean, whilst we are just being careful getting the best value for our hard earned cash. I now always pay for the first meal we have with any of her sisters, usually arranging it with the restaurant before we have eaten. During the dessert I will let them know that I have already paid the bill, but they are welcome to leave a tip and if they want to pay for lunch the following day that would be very generous of them. Of course the next day my wife will insist that I pay, as M (£800k house) has not a lot of money to live on, H (husband died a couple of years go leaving her with 12 rental properties) is finding things tough, or C (husband's business turned over £3.5m last year) is having a hard time since the kids moved back home. When I point out that lunch costs a fraction of what dinner the previous evening cost, and that it would be insulting to them not to let them pay, she will reluctantly agree. Two years ago they all agreed not to give each other christmas gifts any more, but still do!

Her brothers are quite the opposite, showing no inclination to offer to pay, and as for the leech of a cousin who always offers, but with no intention to do so!

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

My mother got the "hello this is your grandson I need money" scam a few years ago. She has a lot of grandkids and she just kept asking"which grandson?" till the scam because obvious. That was a few years ago. Now I'm afraid she'd fall for it

16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

LOL

17. brewsterallen

brewsterallen Tele-Meister

Last Christmas I received an email from the owner of the company I worked for. Asking me to purchase some gift cards for our customers at Wallgreens. Not unlike him to make this kind of request, and I was out the door at lunchtime. On my way out the door I emailed and asked how many and he replied 100. Right there I stopped and went back to my desk. Contacted my boss through Messenger and asked him if he had emailed me earlier. His reply was no, he was about to, but not about any gift cards. This was a spoof email that was so close to his email it was indistinguishable unless it was examined closely. SO, I can empathize how this situation can occur, I was only tipped off by the extreme number of cards requested.

Wildcard_35 and nojazzhere like this.
  18. aubrey67

aubrey67 TDPRI Member

Yup, I think it's the best that we can do. Keep spreading the word. Few days ago, my father (he's 75) also told me that he received 3 VMs from 216-539-5360 within 24 hours. I looked up the number and found some reports have been filed at https://www.whycall.me/216-539-5360.html about similar scams. I think these scammers are never getting tired. We are the ones who should always inform our family about how these scammers work.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It would certainly be worth a try.

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

It is becoming more and more prevalent in our society. And with an aging baby boomer population it will be more and more rampant.

These people pray on relationships more and more. I am seeing less of the "your computer will melt down unless you send $200" and more of "your grandson is in jail and needs five grand now wire transferred to an offshore account".

I would warn people to be very careful with what you post on social media. These scammers are getting really good at making things look legit. A friend of mine owns his own company and competes in off road races. His accounting person at his office got an email from an email address that was almost exactly like her bosses asking for over $10 grand because they needed to buy some racing parts. She replied to the email and they gave her a wire transfer address so she could send the money and my boss could get it right away. Luckily my bosses wife was in the office and the accounting person mentioned it before she sent the money. She called her husband and he told her that he had not requested the funds. They got really lucky and my friend instituted a new accounting rule to keep that stuff from happening.

It is the way of the future that is for sure...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.