I quit smoking. Experiencing nausea.

jedediahd

TDPRI Member
During one of the first times I quit smoking, my pop took us out to the McDonald's. Ran into one of his old friends and he introduces us that we'd just quit smoking. His friend said that "the first seven years are the hardest." "Thanks," we said.
There are some hard times, but you got this. Every day you don't poison yourself with that toxic situation is a good day. Count those days.
As to the gum and the habit: Before gum or patches we got a Costco bucket of natural fruit flavored suckers to try and help with our lack of ritual smoke breaks. Doncha know but them suckers gave us the winds like nothing else. Bad winds. At one point we're putting a futon frame or something together and I'm supposed to move this there or something and she's like "what's the matter, move that there (or something), you OK?" I'm like, "yeah, I'm ok, just stewing in my own fart, couldn't move this there, had to get some breath, or something." We'd had way too many natural fruit flavored suckers.
Anyway don't try to substitute for that crap. That will just cause other issues, or something. Get rid of it, you can. Every thing about smoking tobacco is not good. Dumping the habit is the hardest thing, not the product.

J.D.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm back smoking unfortunately, but I would definitely say it's the gun, same as when I used lozenges. Quit the gum, and revert to Wrigley's, or another brand.

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
I was a pro smoker (pack a day, at least) for 30 years and decided to quit. I did 2 weeks on 1 smoke after meals then cold turkey. The first 3 months were hard because of the cravings, but no nausea, anxiety or other weirdness.

5 years on and the thought of a cigarette makes me slightly queasy. I do enjoy a good Cuban cigar, from time to time.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Welp. It’s been 39 days since I had a cig. I am chewing the gum and it works for me. I have all the usual symptoms of dramatically decreasing nicotine intake. One thing is concerning though. I am experiencing nausea to the point where I can barely eat. This just started about a week ago. I am also experiencing severe anxiety that comes and goes which also affects my appetite. Is this normal?
Good for you for quitting. Get off the gum and see a pro for the anxiety. If you are into it, try exercising. Exercise lowers my anxiety and makes me a much happier person.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
Welp. It’s been 39 days since I had a cig. I am chewing the gum and it works for me. I have all the usual symptoms of dramatically decreasing nicotine intake. One thing is concerning though. I am experiencing nausea to the point where I can barely eat. This just started about a week ago. I am also experiencing severe anxiety that comes and goes which also affects my appetite. Is this normal?
Good for you (and anyone who's quit). I hope you can stick with it. I watched my Dad struggle with emphysema and die at 67. No fun.

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Afflicted
Good on ‘ya Man. I’m going on 3 months and only suffer with cravings. I’m pretty sure nausea is not normal. I’ve got a friend that quit years back and got deathly ill to the point of having to be hospitalized, so definitely take care and hydrate.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
After 39 days? I would think not normal.

I was never a heavy smoker, but I have kicked a few habits by going off and living in the woods for a few weeks to eliminate all access. Nausea and anxiety to the point that you lose all appetite does not sound like a normal recovery process....sounds more like an ulcer or even a latent kidney stone. Actually, could be a couple dozen things really, but I do not believe it is from your work at kicking the habit.

By the way, congrats man on the 39 days and counting. It isn't easy ridding oneself of anything and it is a big accomplishment.
+1, just to be safe maybe check with your physician. 39 days sounds too long to still be having a physical reaction to nicotine withdrawl.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Surely doesn’t work for everyone but it can work well. My mother-in-law smoked for God knows how many years. A young doctor finally said to her “quit or you’ll be in a wheelchair or dead in a year” and that scared her so much she stopped just like that. She kept one cigarette on her mantelpiece the rest of her life to remind herself that she could smoke but she wasn’t going to.

For most people though I’d say talk to your doctor and use whatever aids you can get - in suitable doses! And when you’re past the worst of the withdrawals, start to appreciate the good you’ve done yourself and everyone around you, and spend your tobacco money on fun things. 😀
I started smoking when I was nine years old. I couldn't smoke very much because I couldn't buy cigarettes, but I loved them. When I had the money, I smoked. They used to have these cheap cigarettes called Wings you could buy two packs for sixteen cents. I'd con some guy into buying them for me, saying my momma sent me to the store.

By the time I was twelve I'd figured out how to get smokes, I was hooked, I'd get the jitters all day in school until I could get out and get my smokes. I quit for a while when I was around 20 and stayed off of them until I was nearly thirty, I smoked a cigar, then some cigarettes, and pretty soon I was knocking down two packs a day. Sometime after I turned forty-five, I threw my smokes a hard pack of Marlboros on the kitchen table and told my wife to throw them away. I never smoked another cigarette.

People seem to have to use something to get off of cigarettes, if they do, and it works that's fine. I quit drinking the same way I quit smokes, I just quit. I was a whiskey drinker. Jack Daniels got me in a lot of trouble when we were running together, the S.O.B. always deserted me when the going got tough, so I finally ditched him for good.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
When I quit (how many times did I quit?:lol: Along the way?) I got nauseous if I had a smoke, not when I was not having them. Trust me, it's SOOOOO worth it once you are off it. I feel so much better now.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
By the way, your doctor called, you died a week ago. (Don Rickles)

Dr. tells the patient, I got bad news and I got worse news.

Patient asks - what’s the bad news ?

You got an incurable disease and you have 24 hours to live.

Patient says, how could there be worse news?

Dr answers - i’ve been trying to get a hold of you since yesterday…

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em !

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Here's how it works, the doctor prescribes you a medicine that the reaction puts you in the hospital, he says, (we'll) have try something else. Who the hell is the WE? WE ain't in the next bed over from you!

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I seriously wonder if doctors get a kickback from the drug companies on drugs they prescribe.
Docs are invited to conferences by drug reps. They are introduced to the new sparkly drug and told that is it for condition 'x'. You see a Dr. and describe condition 'x' and they give you the sparkly new drug. That is how it works, according to a few Docs that I count as friends/acquaintances.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Dr. tells the patient, I got bad news and I got worse news.

Patient asks - what’s the bad news ?

You got an incurable disease and you have 24 hours to live.

Patient says, how could there be worse news?

Dr answers - i’ve been trying to get a hold of you since yesterday…

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em !
Just one more then...

Two baseball players were sitting in the dugout during a game. One player asked the other if he though there was baseball in heaven, because if there wasn't, he didn't want to go. The second player promised that if he died first, he would be sure to come back and tell him if there was baseball in heaven.

Ten years later, one of the players died in a car crash and as promised, returned to his friend to report on if there was baseball in heaven.

Living Player: Well, tell me the truth, is there baseball in heaven?
Ghost: I have good news and I have bad news on that.
Living player: Tell me, I have to know.
Ghost: There is baseball in heaven.
Living player: That is great news...what was the bad news?
Ghost: You are pitching tonight.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes nicotine withdrawal has been discribe to me by other the have experienced lot of other withdrawal symptoms as I am a recovering Cancer patient , I had stage 3 throat cancer and survived . Believe me sitting in a cancer support group for over four years certinlythe most insidious, I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker for several decades. When I quit OUCH! just don't have the next cigarettes'.
what worked for me was exercise I road my bike to work and back 8 miles. , Every time that I want a cigarettes' I had a glass of cold water , walking vitamin b complex

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Awesome that you are doing that. I know how it feels to quit smoking and going through that nicotine withdrawal. It really takes a good "year" before you are out of the woods with the urge. Hang in there, it's worth it.

Aside from the tar and nicotine issues, there are literally hundreds of toxins in cigarette smoke. You don't realize all that when you start smoking, but when you stop, you will start to notice all kinds of benefits. I told myself that if I never did another worthwhile thing in my life, stopping smoking was one of the best things I ever did in my life. Good luck to you.