I pretended to like cigars last night. Haven't done that for a few years.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by _MementoMori_, Sep 20, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

We had company over and a guy brought some cigars that his friend shipped him from Texas. I quit smoking cigarettes (and other things) 17 years ago and haven't looked back, but I never know how to say no to a cigar without seeming rude. So I lit it up and pretended to like it while barbecuing and drinking beer. Here are some fresh observations:

1. They're huge and there's no way to hold them in your mouth without looking/feeling dumb
    2. They produce saliva to such an extent that I felt like a dog with a bone
    3. They're impossible to smoke all the way down without burning yourself but I don't know when you're supposed to consider them "done"
    4. I don't get what people mean by flavor with these things. They're spicy. That's all I get. Spiciness. More on the lips than the actual taste buds.
    5. I think they're like jazz. Lots of people pretend to like them to seem cultured/cool.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I smoked the stinkin’ things for a few years.
    About six.
    I acquired a taste for em’ when I lived in The Great White North.
    I seem to have taken the cure.
    No tobacco for the last 18 years.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    4pickupguy, Jakedog and _MementoMori_ like this.
  3. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Afflicted

The only point where we don't agree. I actually do like jazz. :) Yeah, cigars are awful.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know a guy who spends a minimum of 280 bucks a month smoking cigars. He lives on a street where I walk. I think it would take five years of hard rain, and 90 mph winds to permanently delete the smell emanating from his house. Just hope your one little foray back into the world of smokers didn't give you lip, mouth, and lung cancer, and render you impotent.

5. _MementoMori_

Oh, I don't doubt that you do. I know there are people who genuinely like jazz. I just know there are also lots of people who say they like it for cool points.

6. _MementoMori_

No kidding. Hopefully I'll be safe with my one cigar every two to four years. Who knows, though. Life is a crapshoot.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Cigarettes I still smoke, roll my own. Cigars, never was a fan to be honest.

miguelalmeida and _MementoMori_ like this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Only jazz is cool :cool:

Enjoying cigars takes a degree of experience, discernment and consideration. But cool? There's a reason they had to go out of their way to say "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" :twisted:

rand z and _MementoMori_ like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

With smokes and booze, it's like putting a single bullet in a revolver, whirling the cylinder, pointing the gun at your head and pulling the trigger. Never know when it's going to be the ONE. I seem to have gotten away clean, I've been off both for a very long time, over thirty years on the smokes, over twenty on the booze. I will never chance it again, on either.

aging_rocker, JL_LI and _MementoMori_ like this.
  10. _MementoMori_

I rolled my own too. An old friend in Maine turned me on to Bali Shag and I couldn't enjoy anything else afterwards. Plus I enjoyed the ritual of hand rolling.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

The guy I know who smokes cigars has a little flame thrower lighter. He puts a toothpick in the cigar when it burns down to the nub, puts the flame to it, then puffs on it until he in danger of burning his lips before giving up on the thing. I've thought of videoing him and showing how utterly pathetic it looks, but...

Timbresmith1 and _MementoMori_ like this.
  12. _MementoMori_

That's hilarious. Haha.

13. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I last smoked a cigar maybe ten years ago. I actually stopped smoking forty five years ago this is one of maybe three smokes in that time. What I remember is I tasted it for three or four days. Bleh, never again.

Toto'sDad, JL_LI and _MementoMori_ like this.
  14. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

Not to mention the grosscusting breath post puff. Put your you no what mask on after that and see what you're putting out there.
    Just about indulged in one a couple of weeks ago but decided no.

Toto'sDad and _MementoMori_ like this.
  15. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Maybe 75 years ago people did that. Liking jazz today doesn't make anyone seem cool, and people don't care anymore about seeming cultured.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Stay away from them. Stay far far away. My brother in law is an MD. He struggled to quit cigarettes and stayed away from them for years. Then one of his doctor buddies joined a private club. There was a cigar room where wealthy, intelligent fools could drink too much single malt and smoke the Havanas they smuggled back from the Caribbean. My brother in law wound up readdicted and is smoking cigarettes again behind the office and on his back porch. One of his buddies drove into a police cruiser on his way home. It cost him triple his club dues. Wealthy intelligent fools. Don’t be one of them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    drf64 and _MementoMori_ like this.
  17. _MementoMori_

Yep. It isn't something I'd ever do of my own volition. Being offered one is like being asked to be someone's Best Man in their wedding, though. Sure, you're technically being asked which would indicate free will, but you're not really allowed to say no. Or at least that's how it seems to me.

18. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

Well I love a good Cuban cigar twice a month here in the UK.....but they are soooo expensive> but nice. Like having a nice meal.
    Its just a pleasurable experience albeit very expensive.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

however nothing is without redeeming qualities, I find cigar smoke makes a wonderful mosquito repellent. Can also be used to keep pesky females away also. Never enjoyed a good cigar yet and I've tried many times.

I usually tell people who offer them to me that my uncle was killed in a cave-in in a tobacco mine, I've sworn off since the tragedy. A good excuse doesn't need to make sense in fact its better if it doesn't as it keeps the offeree on the defensive.

Toto'sDad and _MementoMori_ like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I try not to be confrontation too, when someone smoking a cigar offers me a cigar, I reply. Oh hell, I thought you were a hog carrying a stick in his mouth, and thought you might be offering me an umbrella.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.