I prefer the trio format for guitar

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Mr Perch, May 9, 2021.

1. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

While I love playing with another guitarist and/or keyboardist, my musical growth really took off with a trio. It helped that the drummer and bass player were miles ahead of me musically. Great times, great music and great fun!

Old Plank likes this.
  2. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I too, have played in trios, and the guitar has to take a different role. With 2 guitars, I never had any problems as far as boundaries. We worked out each song, and respect for all was a given. I have always loved the chemistry of a band format, the magic that comes with it. When we did have new members join, I gave them the freedom to add their own musical style to my original songs. I had a partner that I played with for years, and we filled it up with 2 acoustics and 2 vocals.

Old Plank likes this.
  3. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

You are wrong. You need a rhythm,lead bass guitar and a drummer as a minimum. Another extra lead guitar would be even better for dual leads. Keyboards ... no.

4. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

I think I neglected to mention, that beyond vocals, I'm a VERY solid rhythm guitarist. Rhythm guitar takes the pressure off of bass, and lead guitar. I can drive, and/or settle a band's performance with rhythm guitar. The corner-stone of a 4 piece band IS the rhythm guitarist!

However, I'm still "vocals" driven. So, good vocals sell a band better than ANY other single instrument! Just managing to provide vocals close to the original provides the audience, AND band with a ton of forgiveness!!

Rhythm guitar, in my opinion, drives a band better than any other singe instrument, AFTER vocals. Sadly, it's a lost art. Thankfully, I'm quite good at it, if I do say so myself!! Rock on John Lennon, and Pete Townshend!!!

Twang Deluxe and Dik Ellis like this.
  5. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

For the record, with the right lineup, two guitars can be awesome...

String Tree likes this.
  6. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Well no sooner did I post that on Monday, than I received a concert alert on Tuesday for Metheny coming in Nov., in trio format no less, and yesterday snagged some 6th row middle seats, woohoo ... also on Tues Wilco confirmed that their show/our tix postponed from last August will be a go for this August. The re-emergence of live shows is looking good folks!

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With two guitars, Chemistry trumps everything.

The last guy I had that kind of Chemistry with passed away a few years ago.
    Everyone else I have tried to play with has felt like gears grinding.
    Don't get me wrong, no shortage of truly Great Guitarists out there.
    But, it simply hasn't felt right.

8. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

fast forward 50 years i now much prefer a solo

9. rosellem

rosellem TDPRI Member

I feel I was just talking about this very topic to someone recently. I currently play bass in a band in a 3 + vocals situation, and as others have said above. When its guitar solo time , doing my best on bass to fill in it still looses something. I have also been in a band where I was the only guitar player (I am solid at rhythm) and struggled to fill in during the solo bits. But I have to say, as the only guitarist in the band it was great as I could always hear myself. When im in a band with another guitar player there is this chemistry that forms and we can play back and forth with licks and solos and it just becomes something else. .. I guess im confused lol .. or just like all situations :)

later,

Eric

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

It's all about adapting to each configuration appropriately. I enjoy filling the space in a power trio and I also enjoy laying back and playing my roll in larger bands.

What I don't like is when the larger band lacks discipline and everyone tries to fill everything all of the time. I make note of those musicians and avoid taking jobs with them in the future... or mentally prepare myself for what's in store when I do take the gig :(.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

One other advantage of a trio is that you can use a wide variety of guitar tones, some of which would be lost in the mix in a larger band.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.