I Played The Guitar Of My Dreams But Im Torn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
The thing is, the relics are the big sellers.

I browse local retailers, the journeyman and NOS stuff sits around for ages. Relics are always in short supply.
It's insane to me how many relics Wildwood carrys in stock. I just shake my head and assume there's a reason. But I'm like OP. I never bought pre-worn out jeans and I'll never by a fake aged guitar.

All that said, if I sat down and felt what OP described I would probably reconsider that position as in the end it is about the sound, feel and playability. I also think relic'ing can lend itself to a better feel depending on what was done.

dmarcus30

Tele-Holic
TLDR: played the guitar of my dreams but it's a relic and relic ain't my thing.

Went into a local shop today to pick up a Tele. The wife and I had some time to kill before our dinner date so I decided to check out some guitars. It's my 40th on Monday and so I've been thinking about maybe splurging on something of an heirloom guitar. Something that I can pass down or be buried with, which ive never really had, though Ive owned some really nice guitars. This is the nicest shop in town, they have tons of awesome stuff so I decided to Try some strats, and naturally, some Teles.

I first picked up a CS 64 Strat, it was really nice, sounded good, very tasteful journeyman finish. I liked it. Then, I decided to try a CS 52 Blackguard. As soon as I picked it up I knew. This thing was different. It was light as a feather, like shockingly light, and the neck felt like it was literally carved specifically for my hand. I plugged in to a Mesa Fillmore 25 and I got goosebumps. The guitar sounded incredible. The neck pup was bell-like and full, very stratty, warm, but open. The bridge was ballsy and punchy but sweet. Quintessential Tele tones. I raised the gain on the Fillmore and it just got better and better. This damn guitar felt like a living breathing thing. It was crazy, my palms were literally sweating as I put it back in its place.

Here's the caveat. It's a Heavy Relic. I've always thought the notion of a $3k+ bolt on slab body guitar a bit of a mental hill to climb, and the thought of a simulated beat up guitar doubly so. They look cool, don't get me wrong, but as far as owning and playing one? I can get NOS, Closet Classic, even Journeyman but beyond that it gets a little iffy for me. But this guitar, it was so good! I asked the guys at the shop about ordering one without the heavy relic, and they said they can do that for me but it's going to be "considerably more expensive". Plus, with all the variables that go into a guitar there's no guarantee that it will play or sound as nice as this one. Not sure what to do.
Try playing the blackguard through different amps and see how much of your crush may be on the Fillmore. If it still checks out on different amps, buy it. If it's even close to what you described, don't let it get away.

David Menke

TDPRI Member
Have the neck dimensions checked. What type of pickups are used. Also the weight of the guitar.
You can go directly to Fender and request the same type of guitar, with all the same settings.
Also remember, each guitar, will sound different, play different. What really helps on any guitar is a great guitar technician who will listen to what you want and setup the guitar to the way you request. If this is your holy grail and will make you pick it up every day, go for it.
Fender has online design, also the custom shop.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister

Went into a local shop today to pick up a Tele. The wife and I had some time to kill before our dinner date so I decided to check out some guitars. It's my 40th on Monday and so I've been thinking about maybe splurging on something of an heirloom guitar. Something that I can pass down or be buried with, which ive never really had, though Ive owned some really nice guitars. This is the nicest shop in town, they have tons of awesome stuff so I decided to Try some strats, and naturally, some Teles.

I first picked up a CS 64 Strat, it was really nice, sounded good, very tasteful journeyman finish. I liked it. Then, I decided to try a CS 52 Blackguard. As soon as I picked it up I knew. This thing was different. It was light as a feather, like shockingly light, and the neck felt like it was literally carved specifically for my hand. I plugged in to a Mesa Fillmore 25 and I got goosebumps. The guitar sounded incredible. The neck pup was bell-like and full, very stratty, warm, but open. The bridge was ballsy and punchy but sweet. Quintessential Tele tones. I raised the gain on the Fillmore and it just got better and better. This damn guitar felt like a living breathing thing. It was crazy, my palms were literally sweating as I put it back in its place.

Here's the caveat. It's a Heavy Relic. I've always thought the notion of a $3k+ bolt on slab body guitar a bit of a mental hill to climb, and the thought of a simulated beat up guitar doubly so. They look cool, don't get me wrong, but as far as owning and playing one? I can get NOS, Closet Classic, even Journeyman but beyond that it gets a little iffy for me. But this guitar, it was so good! I asked the guys at the shop about ordering one without the heavy relic, and they said they can do that for me but it's going to be "considerably more expensive". Plus, with all the variables that go into a guitar there's no guarantee that it will play or sound as nice as this one. Not sure what to do.
Same thing happened to me, except it was a '60's AO Tele, so there was no releic. It was my 40th birthday/20th anniversary present. I'll NEVER let it go. EVER.

About the relic thing. I understand wanting to relic a guitar naturally, but I also like a good relic'd guitar. I think the relic thing can be over done, but when I look at Mike Campbell's Broadcaster... Fender get's it right most of the time.

You know when it's the right guitar, and so often the RIGHT guitar is the "wrong" guitar.

Just my 2 cents.

MonkeyGym

TDPRI Member
Several years ago on Saturdays I would often go to Broken Guitars in Oakland, and became casual friends with the owner, Bill.

One Saturday I saw a Tele hanging on the wall. To me it had pretty much everything wrong with it - I don't like Teles with tobacco bursts, rosewood fingerboards, neck humbuckers, extra switches, bound bodies, or forearm comfort contours. This one had all of that. Though it had a Fender Telecaster sticker on the headstock, it was a Dan Ransom Custom.

Though it had all of these yucky features, I took it off the wall and played it - acoustically, not plugged in. It realy felt great in my hands. Just the right amount of wear to make the neck comfortable, great resonance in the whole thing. Bill told me that the humbucker was a Seth Lover, and the mini toggle switch between the knobs was a coil tap. He asked if I wanted to plug it in; I declined, as it's aesthetic wasn't for me.

So yeah, great feeling guitar, but not my idea of an ideal Tele, so I hung it back up on the wall.

The next Saturday it was still there, so I played it some more. This time I took Bill up on his offer to plug it in, and I was surprised that it sounded fabulous, and the coil tapped Seth Lover humbucker even sounded sweet in both modes. Duncan Antiquity bridge pickup sounded great, too.
But yeah, not my preferred combination of features, and back on the wall it went.

I thought about it all week; kinda couldn't get it out of my head.

The next Saturday, I went back again to Broken Guitars, and it was still there. I took it down, told Bill that I was buying it, and he got the case for it, and we closed the transaction.

A few minutes later another customer come in and looks at the wall of guitars and says "Where's the Ransom Tele?" Bill laughs and says "Jim just bought it. That's him there." The guy looked crestfallen. He thought about it for a moment, and then said "At least I won't have to explain to my wife why I bought another guitar today...." We all laughed.

And I went home with one of my finest guitars. I have never for a minute regretted buying it, and it gets played all the time.
A friend has a cousin who is a Nashville professional guitarist come do a performance for her wedding, and out of all of my guitars, he chose that one.

Everyone who plays it likes it, and many people have offered to buy it. It's not for sale.

My point is my recommendation is to close your eyes and play the guitar. If it talks to you the way it did when you played it last time, it's probably not lying.

Have you ever had a relationship with someone who maybe wasn't the most attractive person you ever met, but when you started talking with them, you found out that they were very attractive, and you were very compatible - far beyond your initial expectations? And maybe after some more exposure, you found that their looks mattered less and less, and the relationship became amazing? I have had this experience, and we're blissfully married 22 years.

This Tele could be sorta like that for you....and if not, as others have said, you can sell it for close to what you have into it. One additional upside with reliced guitars is you don't have to stress about it getting scratched inadvertently - you might not even notice!

~jim

papaairbear

TDPRI Member
I have to agree with others here. It sounds like that “perfect moment” we always dream of finding in a guitar shop. You’re going to turn 40 just once- and these B-Days will only continue to mount up. Taking a toll on our dexterity. So I think you should call the shop and tell them you'll take it. Before somebody else has a moment with it, too.

dfab

TDPRI Member

IMO, If you don’t like the way a guitar looks, you won’t willingly pick it up. If you don’t pick up a guitar, you won’t know how it feels. If you don’t know how it feels, you won’t know how it plays. And if you don’t play it, you won’t know how it sounds.

I think an instrument needs to check all the boxes to be truly fulfilling.

GarthRocket

TDPRI Member

You’re asking a question like that to a bunch of guitar junkies? Ok, then I say pull the trigger and get it! You also have a great excuse for buying a relic edition guitar.

hectors-bell

Tele-Meister
it definitely sounds like the guitar found you do for me that would do it, the relic thing never bothered me so that’s moot..
The questions I’d have are. 1- did you regret leaving the store without it?
2- what’s their return policy?

ultrasun

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I've had the same experience this week with a CS 56 strat ! Amazing sound and feel. I like relic, but this one was really ugly. A sunburst with what looked like yellow stains... It wasn't an issue about "I don't like sparkle" or whatever, it was just not very well done and looked fake too much. Some CS relics are just gorgeous, this one wasn't.
So I'm with you, the guitar feels so good that it's a hearbreaker... The difference in my case being that I think these "new" 56 with an off-center-v neck are quite recent, they will put out more of them, and I might find another one. Sorry, not really helping the gas, but you need to hear different opinions! There are a lot of amazing guitars out there -Holy grail pursuit is often your enemy- if you spend enough time in stores, or go there on a regular basis, you can find other guitars that will astound you...? My 2 cent.

Not to derail the thread but: This Avri 57 looks fabulous! Is that the limited series that came out like 10 years ago? The tint on the neck is perfect. Please let me know what year it is, that could be another option worth trying (I'm currently looking for a strat too). Thanks!
And the feel of my rough and ready 57 AVRI is amazing so i dont baby it anymore - however, I didnt like the specs (v neck, onepc maple neck, color), but all those “wrong” things made the guitar oh so right!

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

coolrene

TDPRI Member

Have a look on the Studio Rats videos on YouTube. Paul plays the best sounding Strats I’ve heard. They’re all CS relics. See, hear, let your ears and eyes be the judge and make up your own mind…

MoHump

TDPRI Member

Well, it's tone versus looks; one or both? Caveat: I've owned two of a kind before,and they don't always feel or sound the same. Good luck deciding.

Bitoblues

TDPRI Member
Love a relic, real or factory - as long as it doesn't look overly contrived.... some artificial aging just looks false and hurts the eyes.... others look great. More than happy with mine (heavy relic) and I sure don't worry about it getting it's first ding!! (Bought it second hand anyway...) It plays and feels great and just rings.... how much of that is due to the relic'ing I don't know... certainly a fair bit of the feel I guess.
My advice fwiw - buy it and keep looking. You'll have a damn fine guitar for a hell of a long time while you try to find a better new one!

strat.jpg

JBurton

Tele-Meister

I don’t care for relic cosmetics if it’s going to be my instrument. If it’s a brand new guitar it should start out young and lovely. But that’s just me.
On the other hand, because this one you’re considering feels and plays perfectly, … you apparently have a tuff decision. In your shoes I just might go for it but I’d have to convince myself that just like some humans begin life homely as hell and yet contribute greatly to family and community, so too do some guitars.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.