I Played The Guitar Of My Dreams But Im Torn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
TLDR: played the guitar of my dreams but it's a relic and relic ain't my thing.

Went into a local shop today to pick up a Tele. The wife and I had some time to kill before our dinner date so I decided to check out some guitars. It's my 40th on Monday and so I've been thinking about maybe splurging on something of an heirloom guitar. Something that I can pass down or be buried with, which ive never really had, though Ive owned some really nice guitars. This is the nicest shop in town, they have tons of awesome stuff so I decided to Try some strats, and naturally, some Teles.

I first picked up a CS 64 Strat, it was really nice, sounded good, very tasteful journeyman finish. I liked it. Then, I decided to try a CS 52 Blackguard. As soon as I picked it up I knew. This thing was different. It was light as a feather, like shockingly light, and the neck felt like it was literally carved specifically for my hand. I plugged in to a Mesa Fillmore 25 and I got goosebumps. The guitar sounded incredible. The neck pup was bell-like and full, very stratty, warm, but open. The bridge was ballsy and punchy but sweet. Quintessential Tele tones. I raised the gain on the Fillmore and it just got better and better. This damn guitar felt like a living breathing thing. It was crazy, my palms were literally sweating as I put it back in its place.

Here's the caveat. It's a Heavy Relic. I've always thought the notion of a $3k+ bolt on slab body guitar a bit of a mental hill to climb, and the thought of a simulated beat up guitar doubly so. They look cool, don't get me wrong, but as far as owning and playing one? I can get NOS, Closet Classic, even Journeyman but beyond that it gets a little iffy for me. But this guitar, it was so good! I asked the guys at the shop about ordering one without the heavy relic, and they said they can do that for me but it's going to be "considerably more expensive". Plus, with all the variables that go into a guitar there's no guarantee that it will play or sound as nice as this one. Not sure what to do.

Last edited:

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
I personally like both NOS/New and relic finish.

Youve found THE guitar. Better get it before someone else does.

Ive literally sold all my guitars for my dream ES-330. Brand spanking new price, but VOS finish. Ive just put on a big dent which made me cry but happy its over. Lol

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

And the feel of my rough and ready 57 AVRI is amazing so i dont baby it anymore - however, I didnt like the specs (v neck, onepc maple neck, color), but all those “wrong” things made the guitar oh so right!

My point is, dont let the finish (or specs) stop you from getting a good guitar. If its your dream, get it. If it feels right, plays and sounds like a million bucks, then be thankful it doesnt cost you a million bucks!

Of course theres always relic vs new thing, maple vs rosewood. But hey, if my strat got me over hating one pc maple necks, this might be that guitar that gets you over that relic hate because its genuinely a good guitar regardless

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I can't do the heavy relic thing either. It just makes no sense to pay new price on a guitar that looks worn out. It actually reminds of the craze years ago where guys were throwing a new pair of jeans in the air, shooting them with buckshot, and then selling them for 3x the price.

I don't think the relic had anything to do with how well it played nor felt, so consider buying the same spec in a new finish and have a win-win.

Chicken Curry

Tele-Meister
I came across a journeyman strat with the same dilema. I loath relics but this one sounded perfect and had a good opportunity to compare with other strats including vintage. Just had to go by how it sounded so I bought it. I don't regret it but wish it was NOS. I've come to realise that no matter what guitar I but, there's always something that bugs me about it, even if it was perfect I'll still find something so I just have to let go.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Ive just put on a big dent which made me cry but happy its over.
I was also pissed when I put a first dent on my new Gibson LP. Smaller dent than on your 330 and close to guitar jacket which is not a big deal, cause it is not really noticable, but still. Took me a while to get over it 😅 But it was inevitable, so it had to happen sooner or later.

I didnt like the specs (v neck, onepc maple neck, color), but all those “wrong” things made the guitar oh so right!
It is funny how sometimes we think that we dont like something, but when we try it, we change our minds.
Like my avatar photo Tele Deluxe. In theory I dont necessarily like certain aspects of the guitar, but when I play it, magic happens 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.