I Played The Fender Tone Master Amps Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Otis Fine, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Someone’s unwat
    i thought you had me on ignore? How you going to know? Lol

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@RoscoeElegante -

- cab is immaculate
    - I’m a KISS guy. And our rehearsal PA is not luxurious. So I didn’t try the line out. I also don’t like guitars in monitors. But my other band the sound guy likes to mix amps. So I’ll ask him if he prefers to line out instead and report back if so.

- I played all nite on the 12w setting. So all impressions above are as attenuated.

- I tried the .2w at home, dimed briefly just to make sure the amp worked before dashing to rehearsal. It was REALLY quiet and a bit dull. But we have an old home and that is a dodgy, loud outlet. I plan to try the lower attenuation settings when I get some time.

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Much thanks for the detailed review. While I think it's somewhat odd the way this stuff happens I am excited for these amps.

Both of these two amps (in tube version) are too loud for me to want to use the way I like to play. I would want to be able to crank em up. The Tone master versions would solve that for me, crank em up on a lower power setting. It works for me with tube amps, it would work with these. So if this is all Fender is going to offer it's still better than just offering tube versions that can't have their power reduced.

As far as response to boost/OD pedals... less need for that with the Tone Master cause you can reduce the power and then "crank" the amp at a lower volume.. the power scaling gives more options than a big loud tube amp with no power scaling.

My criticism/complaint is just that I think it would be best if Fender offered the best of both worlds.. Make the Tone Master AND tube versions with power scaling, than there is something to make everyone happy.

ukepicker and MilwMark like this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That sounds about like what you should expect... I have a 0.5w setting on my tube amp and have tried other tube amps with settings below 1W and they always sound a little dull compared to more power... there's just a limit to how far you can attenuate with a full size speaker and it's hard to believe there's any difference between tube amps and SS/modeling amps if they both have 10" or 12" speakers. Those amps like the THR sound good at really low volumes by just using really small speakers that can't push enough air to get really loud. They just have to compromise one way or the other.

I bet the Tone Master amps sound a lot better at settings like 1W or 5W than they do at 0.2W. But it's still nice to have the 0.2W option... you just need to go into it knowing that you're using that 0.2W setting cause keeping the volume low is more important for practice, etc.. than having a really inspiring tone.

I use the 0.5W setting on my amp if I want to practice quietly and know I am going to be kicking on a Fuzz or something that's going to really bring the volume level up a lot. If I'm going to practice with just amp drive or a totally clean sound I'm more likely to flip over to a higher power level and it'll sound better. If I used the higher power level and kicked on a loud pedal than I'd be in danger territory in terms of overall volume level.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@beninma that is a good point. I think you are right. At some point the speaker is pushing so little air it can’t have a full frequency response, maybe?

And I agree - for TV volume or below, a small amp with small speakers designed for that application sounds and works better for me.

Telecaster88 and Lef T like this.
  6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Just wondering...what's the Balanced Line Out pot do on these amps? And, for that matter, generally.

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I don't agree at all, Fender has yet to enter the top digiral amps exclusive club that has Fractal, Line6, Boss, and of course Kemper. Fender has the $$$, I say they should make the move.

Frodebro likes this.
  8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You must be somewhat of a muscular gigging guitar slinger who tours a whole month and plays every night without roadies. :rolleyes:
    I see a lot of touring bands from the US and Canada. they can't bring their equipment due to expense and voltage.
    they do want the sound they're used to but they also have to schlepp it around Europe on their own, 'cause the band name isn't quite big enough.
    I can absolutely see how these Tone Master Amps would be a great companion on tour.
    should one go kaputt - just exchange it.
    you wanna do that with your vintage tube amp?

ukepicker, dreamingtele and TeleTex82 like this.
  9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I used to tour the states and Europe. Stay closer to home now. I never used a modeler in any back line. In the US..Europe..Latin America. Worst was a Marshall tube combo. When you travel you take an amp or your a fool.

10. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I wish you were still touring.

TeleTex82 and Alamo like this.
  11. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Health and the traveling put a end to it. I stay busy here close to home and get to sleep in my own bed. I had a lot of fun for sure. Got to play some great venues and meet some awesome people.

12. Alamo

Nowadays I'd say - rent an amp or Kemper - or you're a fool. ;)

13. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Honestly, I've checked out a bunch of reviews, the amps are great no doubt!!
    But the prices are a bit nuts to me:confused: I'd be interested at about half those asking prices.

Strato50 likes this.
  14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I would not leave without a backup. Trust me you don’t want to have to rely on someone else.

15. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

They’re cloning themselves.

trouserpress and Shuster like this.
  16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One cool thing about Kemper is that you can do a full backup of everything you have in the unit, including all of your profiles, effects, and global settings, and save the whole shooting match on a thumb drive. If your Kemper goes down, it's dirt simple to restore everything from the thumb drive.

17. Alamo

Same here. I hope they really catch on and the price comes down ...and then they come out with a highpowered Tweed Twin!!!
    that'd be a dream come true.

Shuster and dreamingtele like this.
  18. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

or a 59 Bassman.. That would be MY dream come true.. owning a true 59 bassman for a fraction of the price, but same tone.. Im trying to do that with my Joyo american sound. LOL

Shuster likes this.
  19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

A true 59 with no tubes. Lol. Okay I’m out of here this thread when full blown crazy. Sorry man.

20. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Im sorry if this doesnt float your boat.. if the technology is there, I would use it.. your analogy and thought processes are different to mine, your resources are different to mine.. I see this as something like playing a vinyl through a really nice turntable with proper tube amp and really nice speakers to an audiophile vs me listening to Spotify on the go, with my mid-priced over the ear headphones, both sound nice, but my set up doesnt cost me an arm and leg.. I respect your opinions, so realize that I am different to you.

I know we are in a forum dedicated on a guitar that was built in 1950's and we all gush on vintage guitars and amps.. but I dont have your priviledge of buying vintage gear, or really nice tube amps, or really nice guitars, custom shop teles or whatever.. I want to get there tonally in the most affordable, easiest way I can without getting thrown out of my apartment, or sacrificing my family's grocery budget for 5 years.. :)

TokyoPortrait, NewKid, Cerb and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.