I Played The Fender Tone Master Amps Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Otis Fine, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

What’s even more hilarious is how that old saying “Something’s are better left alone” is so true. Leo got it right 50 years ago. It’s not rocket science. It’s music. AI just gets in the way.

stevemc likes this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You worked at a music store for three years and never learned the difference between amps built to a price point and amps built to be reliable?

stuffinplays and MilwMark like this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

But, whats so wrong about this though? Technology seems to move forward, but we all are looking back..

4. Frodebro

Well, we ARE all on a forum dedicated to a guitar that came to life in 1950, so there's that...

LunarSlingShot and lewis like this.
  5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Exactly! These are gonna be no different.

6. Frodebro

You're supporting an assumption with emotion. Kemper, Fractal, and Line 6 (with the Helix) have been outstanding in customer service and product support since day one. If Fender is seriously trying to break into the higher-end market with these amps, it stands to reason that they will also take after-the-sale support into consideration in light of the established market that they are aiming to compete in.

dlxtele and Alamo like this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have not seen or heard one of these. They may or may not sound great.

I wonder why the Twin version is advertised as a 200 Watt amp, when the attenuator on the back panel says 85 Watts at maximum?

The Deluxe is similar: advertised as 100 Watts, attenuator says 22 Watts.

Fender's own web site says something about "using a high-performance 100-watt digital power amp to achieve the headroom and dynamic range of a real vintage Deluxe... from a full 22W of Fender power down to bedroom- and apartment-friendly 0.2W."

So it is NOT really a 100 Watt amp, is it?

They should at least explain this discrepancy. Perhaps they have; I had never heard of this amp before today and this is all I have seen so far.

I believe in truth in advertising.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I look forward to trying one soon. Not going to pre-judge either way, especially since internet demos through laptop speakers are crap anyway.

9. Frodebro

It probably has to do with the wattage rating system that causes so much confusion. The tube amps are rated at clean output, not maximum output. With tubes, you can obviously push them well past that clean output rating whereas solid state/digital power amplifiers hit a wall right at their rated clean output. So a tube Deluxes is 22 watts clean, but puts out probably closer to 40 watts if you run it full throttle. The additional power in the digital amp is a safety margin for headroom to ensure that you can max out the controls and still have clean power in reserve to avoid the danger of hard clipping the power section.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

11. Frodebro

Not even in close, except in the eyes of people who don't know the difference between modern digital technology and solid state tech from 50 years ago.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah then there's this (blast from the past):

[​IMG]

radiocaster likes this.
  13. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Tough crowd here.

sonicsmitty, Stubee and RyCo1983 like this.
  14. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

Let me see if I'm following you @Strato50. You're saying that in your opinion tube amplifiers are superior to solid state amplifiers?

matrix likes this.
  15. Frodebro

I think he was vaguely hinting at that, yes.

16. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I play a Joyo American Sound into a Katana 50. I highly recommend this setup for those who like the idea of the tone masters, but not the price.
    I leave the amp on the clean channel and use the Joyo as the amp.

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's amazing how evergreen and fresh this topic is. Yesterday I did a bunch of A/Bing my Roland Blues Cube against a proper handwired champ with a 12"speaker. Really, honestly? Their touch sensitivity and breakup point, and the gradual onset of distortion based on picking? Pretty much the same. They didn't sound identical (why should they) but they were very clearly doing the same "thing" for me as a player. I couldn't have told you - and nor could any listener - which one was better, or worse, or tube or SS.

Maybe 20 years ago they couldn't nail the tones. Maybe 5 years ago they couldn't. That doesn't mean these don't, and it doesn't mean nobody ever will in the future. Your mobile phone can *understand your speech* - do you know how much more complex a task that is than reproducing a 60 year old amp circuit?

Anyhow, I'm in the market for a good BF amp, and even though I'm a cheapskate who never buys new, I'm pretty interested in the twin. The Deluxe, meh - the real deal is not that expensive or heavy either.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

People are sceptical of solid state and digital sim amps because every solid state and digital sim amp that has been marketed for the past few decades had been the next best thing here to replace tube amps yet here we are with yet another new offering with the same claims.
    In five years they will have another one that gets even closer and costs them even less to make.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Euphonica and Strato50 like this.
  19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Rinse and repeat

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

I've not played a modelling amp that I've loved.. Tried Kempers, I own a Yamaha THR10C, and I use a Line6 modelling product for recording demos etc, but I've never loved any of the tones as much as the tones I get out of my tube amps. They pass the 80/20 rule for me though.
    That said, I like that Fender have specifically modelled their own products, for the sake of portability and to mitigate some of the other issues that their sweet, sweet tube amps entail - weight, volume, etc..

Would I use one of these new things live? Absolutely, if it sounds good in a live setting. Will it replace my sweet, sweet Fender tube amps? No.

So I'm interested in trying them out, if for no other reason to satisfy my curiosity. Remember, we can have both!

black_doug, Wildcard_35 and Alter like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.